Electronics, Costumes, Tarps, and Props...

I don't think you addressed liahonia's point, which was to refute the contention that there are not many audiences around who want to watch "traditional" marching, spinning, etc. Your point is that drum corps is, has been, and should be at a higher level than marching band which no one has contested.

I was posing a question about their point. if the target audience is people who've marched years (or even decades) ago, if so, things would not evolve at the rate that they do.

But also, if this activity wasn't pushing itself to be more creative and demanding than the band circuits, there would be no reason to buy tickets. There would be nothing new to excite you, the viewer. You could pay way less to see the exact same style in the fall.

But if you want proof that many aren't interested in the old school performance styles. Take a look at the number of people buying tickets for DCA's "Alumni Spectacular". Those groups do exactly as Liahonia says. They march, play, and spin. That's it. They can't even get a thousand in the stands for it.

• Like 1

That's a retention problem then. Assuming that's true (and I really do assume it is) then DCI literally has an unlimited stream of new audience members coming in, and they're marketing to them well since y-o-y attendance is increasing, but after a few years they stop caring. Engage/retain. I mean, I'm sure high school football players are big NFL fans, but they don't lose interest after high school. This audience should be no different.

One large difference between is the enormous media visibility football has versus drum corps. There mere availability of football all over the place on TV and online makes it much easier to retain fans.

• Like 2

One large difference between is the enormous media visibility football has versus drum corps. There mere availability of football all over the place on TV and online makes it much easier to retain fans.

Good point.

For example, at noon ET on an October Saturday, there are probably a dozen or so college football games available for viewing on my cable system. That's about a dozen or so more than any drum corps or band shows. :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

But if you want proof that many aren't interested in the old school performance styles. Take a look at the number of people buying tickets for DCA's "Alumni Spectacular". Those groups do exactly as Liahonia says. They march, play, and spin. That's it. They can't even get a thousand in the stands for it.

Three problems with your assertion:

1 - Many alumni corps do not even match your description (they stand still).

2 - Take a look at the number of people buying tickets for anything "DCA", and you would conclude there is little interest in either style.

3 - Most importantly, trying to draw a sweeping conclusion about old-school drum corps based on an inferior, non-competitive version of it is disingenuous.

• Like 2

Three problems with your assertion:

1 - Many alumni corps do not even match your description (they stand still).

2 - Take a look at the number of people buying tickets for anything "DCA", and you would conclude there is little interest in either style.

3 - Most importantly, trying to draw a sweeping conclusion about old-school drum corps based on an inferior, non-competitive version of it is disingenuous.

DCA local shows do pretty well. Their finals weekend on the other hand needs help. But there's really no other groups performing in this antiquated style like the alumni groups to even compare. Some of them move, some do not. However, if this was the style of milkshake bringing everyone to the yard, there'd be more tickets sales, or even performing ensembles working to attend that event.

Is this the "dreadful hornline" you're referring to?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIRdkW6okkE

I can see why they chose to "cover up" that hornline. Those tricky 'Coats.... :lle:

People sure do say some..."interesting" stuff on this forum sometimes. (June video, BTW)

This is from warmups, not their field performance. Check out their cam videos, and you will see how bad it was. Major intonation problems, which from the stands wasn't as noticeable with the synth blaring over it. They definitely were one of the worst of the top 12 hornlines in 2015. This year their hornline was much improved. Again, nowhere near the design level of other top 6, but hornline was much better.

Honestly, the audience is marching band kids (potential members) and their families. And as much as it pains me to admit it, that was the correct decision for DCI to make years ago.

Mike

I don't quite fully agree with this. While there are a lot of marching band kids attending shows, I would say that is about equal with people in the stands who have had a past connection with corps in the past. Former staff, volunteers, marching members, family members of marching members, who have been to shows, and gotten addicted to the activity. When I go to finals and other shows during the year, I still recognize many people from the activity that were involved in the 70s and 80s. Although every year, as we get older, that will change. People in their 70s and 80s start to have problems getting to shows, or unfortunately start passing away. But I would also say that a good portion of the audience is still people who were involved in the 90s and 2000s as well. I think the main thing is to keep the activity strong and fun so that people get hooked as they always have. I think the decisions DCI made were important to the activity, and have allowed corps to experiment and try new things, which have turned out both great, and horrible. And you can still have great show designs, great music, and use props and electronics without taking away, or hiding what has always been there,. And the great thing about DCI is when you go to finals, and there are close to 40 corps there, you will see so much variety in performances. If you went to finals this year and didn't enjoy at least half a dozen shows, then I am not sure what to say. This year, I really enjoyed every single corps performances. And between finals, DCILive, youtube, and corps websites, I saw over 50 corps performances this season. And maybe every show wasn't performed to perfection, but there were very enjoyable moments from every single corps.

My biggest point is I do not have a problem with electronics, props, costuming, unless it starts to hide, mask or cover up the things that have always made the shows enjoyable. If the synth hides the hornline, or the props hinder the drill movement, etc. then I do not feel like they have been used effectively.

Edited by MisterA

What evidence do you have to support this assertion?...I personally am NOT a fan of a big spectacle to be honest...I miss the days when good ole marching, spinning, and playing would carry the day...but at the same time I do embrace change...just not necessarily ALL of it all the time...

look at alumni shows. they arent exactly filling the stands

Honestly, the audience is marching band kids (potential members) and their families. And as much as it pains me to admit it, that was the correct decision for DCI to make years ago.

Mike

the problem was trying to feed them and the so called legacy fans that refused to adapt at the same time.

Yep. Period. End of story.

Three year average participation. Three year average fan-dom.

It's like a perpetual up-escalator of new kids and fans coming up.

however....

every so often you get kids that stick for life. those are cherished. they try to encourage friends to go. and they are out there