Electronics, Costumes, Tarps, and Props...

That's a retention problem then. Assuming that's true (and I really do assume it is) then DCI literally has an unlimited stream of new audience members coming in, and they're marketing to them well since y-o-y attendance is increasing, but after a few years they stop caring. Engage/retain. I mean, I'm sure high school football players are big NFL fans, but they don't lose interest after high school. This audience should be no different.

the key is now fans are starting to be retained. You get newer generation alumni that dont have hangups that the brass has t be in the key of G, that electronics are ok, that the visual stuff and WGI influence is good.....for a long time, alumni got out, and stayed out, not coming back. thats happening a little less now, because they arent so hung up on drum corps past that they cant enjoy drum corps now or future drum corps.

• Like 3

Three year average participation. Three year average fan-dom.

the key is now fans are starting to be retained. You get newer generation alumni that dont have hangups that the brass has t be in the key of G, that electronics are ok, that the visual stuff and WGI influence is good.....for a long time, alumni got out, and stayed out, not coming back. thats happening a little less now, because they arent so hung up on drum corps past that they cant enjoy drum corps now or future drum corps.

To me, the key is that the average tenure of a marcher used to be longer than the fan lifespan is today. Good luck to anyone trying to defend how we got there.

Audiences want multi-media stuff, they want pop-culture references, they want circus-type environment. If you see any sort of big summer concert, music is not just a band plugged into amps and doing their thing: there are screens, lighting coordination, maybe lasers and smoke or fire, etc. We still have traditional symphonies, but many of them also incorporate modern "awe" factors into their shows (maybe not every weekend, but at times they'll show stuff on screens behind the symphony, do a multi-media type thing or educational "lecture" type of thing during a performance, etc).

Sorry, but I am part of the audience, and I do not want those things. Neither do the audiences around me that I speak to. We want drum corps (brass and percussion and motion on a field). If we just wanted stuff on screens, we have screens at home, and bigger ones in theaters. There are plenty of closer and more comfortable settings to find smoke and lasers when we want them. When we go to a drum corps show, we want drum corps. We want drum corps badly enough that we are willing to put up with all the other garbage thrust upon us by people who "know what audiences want".

• Like 3

look at alumni shows. they arent exactly filling the stands

redacted

Edited by Liahona

But if you want proof that many aren't interested in the old school performance styles. Take a look at the number of people buying tickets for DCA's "Alumni Spectacular". Those groups do exactly as Liahonia says. They march, play, and spin. That's it. They can't even get a thousand in the stands for it.

redacted

Edited by Liahona

Sorry, but I am part of the audience, and I do not want those things. Neither do the audiences around me that I speak to. We want drum corps (brass and percussion and motion on a field). If we just wanted stuff on screens, we have screens at home, and bigger ones in theaters. There are plenty of closer and more comfortable settings to find smoke and lasers when we want them. When we go to a drum corps show, we want drum corps. We want drum corps badly enough that we are willing to put up with all the other garbage thrust upon us by people who "know what audiences want".

Actually, you want drum corps that stopped changing at some point in time where you think it went too far. However, that is a very personal decision. People said that adding contra and mello voices ruined the pure drum corps sound and turned it into band. BAC was forced to remove their orchestra bells in 69 at VFW Nats. Scouts, Cavies and Cadets themed shows in 71 fostered a t-shirt about drum corps dying. Bayonne ruined drum corps when the donned the banana unis to some...etc....

Personally I look forward to what comes next, as I have ever since I saw my first show in 63.

• Like 4

Actually, you want drum corps that stopped changing at some point in time where you think it went too far. However, that is a very personal decision. People said that adding contra and mello voices ruined the pure drum corps sound and turned it into band. BAC was forced to remove their orchestra bells in 69 at VFW Nats. Scouts, Cavies and Cadets themed shows in 71 fostered a t-shirt about drum corps dying. Bayonne ruined drum corps when the donned the banana unis to some...etc....

Personally I look forward to what comes next, as I have ever since I saw my first show in 63.

Totally this!

Funny how there's always the need for saying " Everyone " I know, or around me feels the same.....lol.......I doubt anyone can say that on either side... seems unlikely but a typical response

• Like 2

. When we go to a drum corps show, we want drum corps. We want drum corps badly enough that we are willing to put up with all the other garbage thrust upon us by people who "know what audiences want".

nm

Edited by BRASSO

For decades, the Drum & Bugle Corps Regional Championship competitions were seen on live TV. ( DCI Midwest, DCI East ), then followed up later that summer by the National Drum & Bugle Corps National Championships live or on tape delay, which were carried to nationwide . During all this time, none of the Regional, nor National Marching Band Regional or National Championship competitions were on Regional TV, nor on National TV.

But its true, things have changed. Today, neither Marching Bands, NOR Drum Corps have their Regional Championships, nor their National Championships on TV now. Not in the US or in Canada anyway. Maybe DCI 's foray into other world markets, or the Marching Bands National Championships are on TV in those countries. That could be possible. I'm just not sure on that, regarding DCI's show design consultants recommendations as to " what the audiences want" , both here, and abroad.

People in Hawaii must LOVE marching band it seems...

I find it amazing that OC16 Sports "Oceanic Time Warner Cable" can play a 4 1/2 hour LIVE broadcast of 14 marching bands in competition and we can't even get anything for drum corps on LIVE TV at all...NOT EVEN HIGHLIGHTS...it's really sad...maybe we should hold DCI championships in Hawaii...it sure would get better coverage there!!!!

...and hello there BRASSO brotha :smile:

WHISKEY BRAVO!!!

Edited by Liahona