Pick Any Show Throughout All Time and Eternity That You Wish You Saw Live

Regarding Sun Coast Sound 1988, saw them once at Manning Bowl, in Lynn, MA.  It was late and very dark when they went on, and it was astounding.  Color Guard was amazing, and I was blown away by how daring the show was.  The evocation of the Vietnam Nam war was so transparent.  I've seen most of the shows mentioned above live, and none have impacted me like this one.  Unfortunately, they went on early at the DCI Finals, and, for me, the show lost effect.  It appears to me to be a fever dream that needs the darkness to be complete.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, JFitz19 said:

Regarding Sun Coast Sound 1988, saw them once at Manning Bowl, in Lynn, MA.  It was late and very dark when they went on, and it was astounding.  Color Guard was amazing, and I was blown away by how daring the show was.  The evocation of the Vietnam Nam war was so transparent.  I've seen most of the shows mentioned above live, and none have impacted me like this one.  Unfortunately, they went on early at the DCI Finals, and, for me, the show lost effect.  It appears to me to be a fever dream that needs the darkness to be complete.

Live shows are always better than recorded shows, though not all recorded shows are equal.

I can remember seeing Spirit on the PBS broadcasts in 1978 and 1979. I remember thinking "What's the big deal?" Then they came to Boston for the first time in 1980 (Manning Bowl, 27th's home show, maybe you were there), I was blown away.

I never saw Star's Medea in 1993 and the video leaves me thinking, so so. Those who saw them live as thread after thread shows disagree. The Zingali shows for Star as well as his classic 27th and Cadets shows do hold up well in recorded versions and Zingali seemed to know how to design for both the live show and television.

I too can recall seeing Suncoast's Vietnam show, though for me it was at CYO Nationals, and I was blown away, but when I saw the PBS broadcast, most likely three or four months later, I was not as impressed. While all corps have to be experienced live to be fully appreciated, thus is especially true with Suncoast.

5 hours ago, JFitz19 said:

Regarding Sun Coast Sound 1988, saw them once at Manning Bowl, in Lynn, MA.  It was late and very dark when they went on, and it was astounding.  Color Guard was amazing, and I was blown away by how daring the show was.  The evocation of the Vietnam Nam war was so transparent.  

Suncoast Sound did not do their "  Vietnam" show in 1988. You are mostly likely confusing the years here. Suncoast Sound did their " Vietnam " themed show  4 years earlier.. in 1984.

Suncoast Sound was in the mix of Corps on the east coast in '84 that was with the Cadets. Cadets were awesome that season.. both the judges favorite and fan favorite. As such, Suncoast Sound was between 10-13 points behind the Cadets on their travels from show to show that season so their " Vietnam " show did get lost downstream. Suncoast finished 7th that season.

That '84 Suncoast Sound " Vietnam " show and year, reminds me of the 2013 Madison Scouts " Corps of Brothers " themed military show from 2013. That show from Madison was likewise filled with emotional evocation of War and self sacrifice and it connected well with most audiences in 2013. Similar to '84 Suncoast Sound however, Madison Scouts of 2013 were likewise downstream placement wise at Finals ( 9th ), so its Finals Nite effect was somewhat diminished by the always late arriving smaller DCI Finals Night audience as well.

Edited by BRASSO

6 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Suncoast Sound did not do their "  Vietnam" show in 1988. You are mostly likely confusing the years here. Suncoast Sound did their " Vietnam " themed show  4 years earlier.. in 1984.

Suncoast Sound was in the mix of Corps on the east coast in '84 that was with the Cadets. Cadets were awesome that season.. both the judges favorite and fan favorite. As such, Suncoast Sound was between 10-13 points behind the Cadets on their travels from show to show that season so their " Vietnam " show did get lost downstream. Souncoast finished 7th that season.

That '84 Suncoast Sound " Vietnam " show and year, reminds me of the 2013 Madison Scouts " Corps of Brothers " themed military show from 2013. That show from Madison was likewise filled with emotional evocation of War and self sacrifice and it connected well with most audiences in 2013. Similar to '84 Suncoast Sound however, Madison Scouts of 2013 were likewise downstream placement wise at Finals ( 9th ), so its Finals Nite effect was somewhat diminished by the always late arriving smaller DCI Finals Night audience as well.

I didn't get the impression that the OP did not know the Suncoast Vietnam show was in 1984, I thought he was just recalling seeing Suncoast in response to someone who saw Suncoast in 1988.

What I do find interesting about your comment is comparing 1984 Suncoast to Madison in 2013.  Steve Rondinaro and Michael Cessario say in the 1984 Legacy DVD that Suncoast's show was not well received, though I don't recall a huge outcry when I saw it at what turned out to be the last CYO Nationals until it was revived in 2011. Madison's show in 2013 was very popular and well received by fans if not always by judges, but Madison had two advantages Suncoast did not have, one bring it was an anniversary show, and second, we have more of an appreciation of the military today than many of us did in 1984. 

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

I didn't get the impression that the OP did not know the Suncoast Vietnam show was in 1984, I thought he was just recalling seeing Suncoast in response to someone who saw Suncoast in 1988.

What I do find interesting about your comment is comparing 1984 Suncoast to Madison in 2013.  Steve Rondinaro and Michael Cessario say in the 1984 Legacy DVD that Suncoast's show was not well received, though I don't recall a huge outcry when I saw it at what turned out to be the last CYO Nationals until it was revived in 2011. Madison's show in 2013 was very popular and well received by fans if not always by judges, but Madison had two advantages Suncoast did not have, one bring it was an anniversary show, and second, we have more of an appreciation of the military today than many of us did in 1984. 

Could be. Lots of Corps shows however are " not well received" up and down the placements ranks. Every year in DCI this happens to some Corps and their shows.  Just about every DCI corps that has been around a few years has had shows that some years " were not very well received ". Some years Suncoast Sound had well received shows, other years not so much. Nothing new under the sun here in that regard however, imo

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tim K said:

I thought the Vietnam show was brilliant at the time ... but I also thought 1993 Star was amazing at the time as well, and as we all know, not everbody was a Star fan that year.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I thought the Vietnam show was brilliant at the time ... but I also thought 1993 Star was amazing at the time as well, and as we all know, not everbody was a Star fan that year.

Yeah, if we brought back those in attendance in '93 in Jackson, Miss. at Championships. most probably would still not really like that '93 Star show of theirs, imo. My guess, a lot of those fans are either deceased, or more than likely no longer follow DCI anymore.

My hunch also, in 20 years, the shows of BD in 2013 ( " Rite of Spring ".. 2nd) and BAC's 2014 ( " Animal Farm".. 10th ) will be far more appreciated by future generations than they are now.. especially in the latter case, if political events in the world unfold as I believe they could over the next 15-20 years.

Edited by BRASSO

3 hours ago, BRASSO said:

i was not confusing Suncoast Sound's 1988 show with the 1984 show.  I never actually saw the 1984 show.  i was referencing (1) the rifles wearing full head coverings and looking like guerrilla fighters and (2) the guard forming the backdrop of the Vietnam War Memorial.  Those images really struck me.  My memory may be fading a bit as I proceed further and further into geezerhood, but Suncoast 1988, still strong in my brain.  

• Like 1