Drum Corps at the Rose Bowl - July 1, 2017

1 minute ago, Narrow said:

Best show of the night goes to BD. SCV was good but not quite there.

...and I disagree.

• Like 5

Just now, jjeffeory said:

Visual is an issue for me

It's the weakest part of the design at present, yes.  I have to imagine it's going to get a lot of TLC.  The stair props need work, integration-wise, and it just needs more visual coherence.

Musically I think they're much closer.  So I expect we'll see the bulk of the changes visually.

• Like 1

So BD has a cool opening, a great ensemble sound and some nice moments, but on the whole, this show seemed a little lacking to me.  I do love the throwback ballad, they should have just stood in a concert arc to really complete the effect.  And if Crown is looking for what "deconstruction" looks and sounds like for the end of their show, just watch BD.  And exactly how many drum breaks were there in this show?  But, all of that being said, I think they win it all this year. 

1 minute ago, B-Flat said:

I really liked both SCV and BD.  For my tastes:

Visual - SCV ahead of BD

Musial- BD ahead of SCV

Percussion: SCV ahead of BD

Guard: BD ahead of SCV

Overall: BD will come out slight ahead of SCV tonight, but not by much.

Agree but there are some very difficult things BD is doing drill wise that they make look easy.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MikeRapp said:

BD and Coats are so far ahead right now in brass sound. Crown has it at times but BD and Bluecoata just overwhelm you with one big, singular sound. The contrast between BD brass and Phantom is scary.

That ballad, yes they aren't marching a single step...but holy hell what a sound!

I'll disagree. Crown most certainly has a wonderful sound that is on par or even better than these two. It's just what one likes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MikeRapp said:

BD and Coats are so far ahead right now in brass sound. Crown has it at times but BD and Bluecoata just overwhelm you with one big, singular sound. The contrast between BD brass and Phantom is scary.

Ah, but it's the transparency in Crown's sound that gives me tingles up my spine.  Still think they have the best brassline in the activity....

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, geluf said:

I wonder how much can actually change though and still maintain performance level.

If it were anyone but BD, that'd worry me. 

• Like 2

Just now, JoshClements403 said:

You can really see the Michael Gaines influence in SCV's show this year

And it's so good to see it again 

• Like 3