Drum Corps at the Rose Bowl - July 1, 2017

Just now, BoaDci said:

This one isnt going away...

Image result for hype gif

LOL!! No it shouldn't go away. We gotta make this the BD mascot for this year lol.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dcsnare93 said:

SCV took music -- brass and percussion again.

What? I thought BD's brass was unbeatable... </sarcasm>

Okay, so judges don't think that SCV brass is half bad this year.  They actually won the music caption and they were very close everywhere else.

Just wanted to reiterate. SCV's brass is as good as any other corps this season.  Just saying.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

I think Blue Knights are a top tier corps in brass and percussion with a mid tier music book and a 10th - 12th visual program.   

Completely agree. Without some pretty major changes, their overall visual score is going to kill them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mboogey73 said:

They'll medal for sure imo. If brass can keep hanging in the top 3 they just might win it. 

Well if you beat BD in brass at successive shows, you have a pretty good chance of your brass line landing top 3 - provided that continues, of course. No small feat to beat BD in any caption. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

2014 isn't really the reference point for modern BD, though; they've been making shows like this for a number of years. And they have been vulnerable before! It hasn't changed their approach. 

Certainly, but I mean in the context of what I keep hearing this year: "BD's show is going to continue to "morph" the rest of the year!"

People make it sound as though its going to be more than the usual changing and tweaking that happens to programs (including BD's) and is going to be a more full-blown sweeping change from top to bottom over the year.

My point is only that if that's the case, it's a pretty high risk/reward proposition, since a total overhaul needs practice time, and they don't have the point cushions they've had before.  I referenced 2014 because that's the most recent example of BD having an insurmountable lead so laughably huge, you could drive a truck through it, and thus they had a lot of house money to play with and could have conceivably changed anything they wanted without too much worry about loss of performance points.

A year like this, where suddenly SCV is back within a point, and Bluecoats are a legit threat now, it's a riskier play.

Edited by geluf
  • Like 1

Eye Candy Alert. Don't like it, just carry on. :-)

Top 6 Percussion Ranking
DCI%20Drums%20070117.png

Current Top 12 Ranking
dciscores070117.png

• Like 4

Scv ge has cut the gap in half from stanford to today. 

Scv visual program will be fantastic when clean, i can definitely see them catching bd here. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Musicman1084 said:

Completely agreed.  Posted my thoughts earlier in the thread, but think it's a combination of things.  The choreography with the props in general is just completely lackluster, and the props they're using (mirrors, curved poles, etc) add nothing to the show.  No real impactful moments in the show until the closer when the flags are wonderfully integrated into the corps proper and stand out.  Also very difficult to provide any visual interest when you have nothing distinguishing you from the corps proper - costumes look exactly the same.

Knights need to stop trying so hard with esoteric show concepts. Their best show maybe ever was That One Moment. Why not grow that direction? Mirrors and eyeballs and plastic sticks are just silly and visually busy. I so want them to challenge the top tier but it will never happen with GE scores so low. In Nashville last year it was embarrassing how tepid the reaction was to their show. Why continue to waste so much talent? 

• Like 1