Wonderful Wausau - July 6, 2017

3 minutes ago, DCI-86 said:

I think BS are going to do well this year and will end up 9th or 10th. Their guard, drum line and hornline are the strongest they have had in a while and as the make the flow and story more cohesive and clean, they will get the credit. You'll see.......

Ditto.  

2 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Overall on July 7th of last year Stars were in 12th with a 67.4 and lost to Madison on that head to head on July 10th.  Other fun facts crossmen was in 9th at this point and Boston 11th. 

You can't compare scores from different shows. At this point last year all the corps hadn't competed together at the same show, so these statistics are meaningless.

• Like 2

I love how this thread had turned into a Blue Stars commiseration thread...
Blue Stars have a great product with this show - all aspects of the show are very good - 

kind of has the feel of an erstatz Blue Devils show though -

with the talent in this corps, if they could just come out and give us 4 songs that don't suck they would be in front of BK and Phantom no problem.

All I know, is they changed a big chunk of the later part of their show, performed it the first time last night, saw their score go up, and they stayed ahead of the Scouts. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dcsnare93 said:

True. It's not how you start, it's how you finish.

Yeah but it seems now more than ever, how you start has a whole lot of bearing on how you finish. The field is far more advanced than it was even five years ago. Show designs are far more elaborate and risky. And once you get locked into a scoring box, it is very difficult to break out of it because order of appearance has such a huge bearing on scoring. 

That doesn't mean it's impossible to go on a run. But when scores are advancing so high now there just isn't much room to move, because the judges are told to think first about relative scoring and placement over actual performance scoring.

3 hours ago, mcjordansc said:

All I know, is they changed a big chunk of the later part of their show, performed it the first time last night, saw their score go up, and they stayed ahead of the Scouts. 

All corps are making changes and tweeks. They may have stayed ahead of the Scouts last night, but that doesn't mean they are going to throughout the rest of the season. I think the Scouts have a better product, but I'd put my money on the Blue Stars finishing the higher of the two if I had to put money down.

16 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Yeah but it seems now more than ever, how you start has a whole lot of bearing on how you finish. The field is far more advanced than it was even five years ago. Show designs are far more elaborate and risky. And once you get locked into a scoring box, it is very difficult to break out of it because order of appearance has such a huge bearing on scoring. 

That doesn't mean it's impossible to go on a run. But when scores are advancing so high now there just isn't much room to move, because the judges are told to think first about relative scoring and placement over actual performance scoring.

I agree with this 100%. In late June 1987, Spirit beat Garfield by 2.1 points. At finals, Garfield was in 1st ahead of 10th place Spirit by 10.3 points. Those days are long long long gone. You may move up a spot or two from where you start, but the days of one group passing up multiple groups is in the past. I think Blue Stars have a good show and are very talented. It's possible they will place higher, but unlikely I think.

20 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

EwNDjYs.jpg

posted from the DrumScorps app

I really miss those, but they are in Arizona and St. George, UT.  I checked and the closest one is in Lake Havasu City, which is 200 miles away.

MMmmmmmm, butter burgers!

Edited by jjeffeory

38 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Disagree. Order of performance doesn't have a huge bearing on eventual rankings. If anything, a corps like BD or Bluecoats may receive a lower score by performing first, but that will also impact the scores that follow. Most shows are too small anyway, to have such volatility in scoring.

It's also extremely difficult to fix a subpar design, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

Edited by dcsnare93

3 minutes ago, dcsnare93 said:

Disagree. Order of performance doesn't have a huge bearing on eventual rankings. If anything, a corps like BD or Bluecoats may receive a lower score by performing first, but that will also impact the scores that follow. Most shows are too small anyway, to have such volatility in scoring.

It's also extremely difficult to fix a subpar design, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

Yes, I don't see order of appearance having a huge bearing on scoring or rankings. What I think you do not see is corps moving up more than one or two places from where they start the season to where they finish. It's not like back in the day where Garfield could be in 6th the Monday of finals week and finish 2nd at finals (1992). Those days are long gone.