South Carolina showdown

4 minutes ago, xandandl said:

It will be interesting to see how Cadets' Mass is received in its first appearance in the Bible Belt States.

Columbia certainly has been a pipeline of great Cadets over the years including 3 DMs (Chris Buck, Ben and Brad Pouncey) plus all the Ridge View Blazers, et al,, etc. 

I know a few from the area that marched cadets. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

It will be interesting to see how Cadets' Mass is received in its first appearance in the Bible Belt States.

Well, unless things have changed in " the Bible Belt States"* (as you call them) the last 3 decades, we have some indications. In 1983, the Cadets did Bernstein's " Mass ", went into the South, were well received, and went undefeated there with " Mass ". .....7/23 in Parkersburg, West Virginia..... 8/5 Huntington, WV...... 8/6 Louisville, Kentucky.... 8/9, Seiverville, Tenn.......and even 8/13 to Columbia, S.C. itself. Undefeated there .. In 1983, the Cadets had dozens of marchers that came from the " Bible Belt State " of Mississippi that helped the Cadets win their 1st DCI Title too, and while performing Bernstein's " Mass ". So I'd expect that the Cadets will be very well received in the " Bible Belt States" performing with " Mass " once again there,, despite the fact that George Hopkins is on record as saying he does not have much use for traveling into the South for shows there, and really does not like going below the Mason- Dixon Line from his tweets.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

Columbia certainly has been a pipeline of great Cadets over the years including 3 DMs (Chris Buck, Ben and Brad Pouncey) plus all the Ridge View Blazers, et al,, etc. 

The reaction could depend on how much the demographic at a drum corps show reflects the population. First the so called "Bible Belt" (not a clear definition of what areas constitute the Bible Belt) is not necessarily more religious but does have a larger percentage of Baptists and Evangelicals. If there are objections from religious folks of this region, it may be that it is too "Catholic," the ankh on the uniforms may be problematic, and waving the Bibles in the pews may be viewed as making fun of a revival. The religious aspect of the show is causing a stir on both sides: religious mined folks are not thrilled, others say religion should not be part of a drum corps show. In private discussions, almost every Cadet discussion I've had has revolved around the subject matter and I'm not the one who started the discussions.

Also, remember that cities are often the least conservative and religious areas in any given state including the deep south. Add to that the generally left leaning DCI audience and younger fans and I can't see it mattering all that much. More people would be put off by it than connecting with it because of a perceived bible belt effect, but both are negligible. 

The real challenge for the show is having a clear story or message and conveying that to the audience to show that it's a complete narrative, and I don't think they're there yet. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, defeldus2 said:

Also, remember that cities are often the least conservative and religious areas in any given state including the deep south. Add to that the generally left leaning DCI audience and younger fans and I can't see it mattering all that much. More people would be put off by it than connecting with it because of a perceived bible belt effect, but both are negligible. 

The real challenge for the show is having a clear story or message and conveying that to the audience to show that it's a complete narrative, and I don't think they're there yet. 

According to Hop yesterday on a video chat on Facebook, they are nowhere near there yet and sounds like it could be awhile before they are there.

2 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

What the heck is a bible belt? 

Maybe it looks like a WWE belt but instead of the giant plate / sucer in the middle it has a Bible? You got me,,, I have no clue. 

I'm from the deep south and I have no clue. Then again he lost me at the majority of all DCI peeps are left leaning. I find myself firmly caught in the middle. :master:

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

A religiously blessed article of garment to keep one's pants up.... I think.

(  and not to be confused with a chastity belt.. thats meant to keep something out... I think )

Edited by BRASSO

45 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

It's a stunning little accessory, usually in leather and sometimes swade. It goes perfect with any church ensemble and could be let out if you're a bad boy and over indulge at Denny's after Mass! You little gluttons. 

• Like 2