VOICE OVERS

24 minutes ago, bluecoats88 said:

actually,  the vocals BD did in 2005 (Yowza Yowza Yowza) were live and performed by a pit member.  I thought they sounded the best of all the voice work done to that point.

I wasn't the biggest fan lol but to each their own. I've found that the number of shows I enjoy from the 2001-2006 era is quite limited. Not coincidentally, that period coincides with the dominance of the Cavaliers who were extremely visual based and it also coincided when electronics were first being introduced and the implementations were rough to say the least. 

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 11:29 AM, cadetzoid said:

Voice overs can make or break a show, that's for sure. It is rare that they are done well. The fewer the words, the better. Clear and effective. Not over the top of a million other things or fortissimo volume levels. 

I never thought this would happen to me... but watching the Minnesota show this weekend, I wish Madison had included voice to introduce each segment.  I think it would make the program flow a bit more, especially if it were similar in tone to the monologues in the most recent Mad Max...

Mike

• Like 1

Voice overs...this is definitely not a favorite thing for me personally

An example where a corps got it wrong: Boston 2016

An example where a corps got it right:    Boston 2017

30 minutes ago, Stu said:

DCI Voice Over Training Session:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpTNC8j0HhA

Too funny! 

On July 10, 2017 at 2:13 PM, MikeN said:

I never thought this would happen to me... but watching the Minnesota show this weekend, I wish Madison had included voice to introduce each segment.  I think it would make the program flow a bit more, especially if it were similar in tone to the monologues in the most recent Mad Max...

Mike

Had not thought this prior, but a great idea! Could make a big difference. 

That Cavaliers voice over for My Way is such a buzz kill for me, I hope they lose it. When I saw their premier show I hated the electronic. When I saw them live later that week I didn’t mind them as much and thought they had a better balance then I saw them live the following week and hated them again. Still do. It reminds me of a laugh track to an 80’s sit-com, spoon feeding you its GE moments when upon repeated viewings, they are no longer GE moments. They become a repetitive, tired commentary of; laugh here, now we’re telling you the message, laugh again, supposedly deep, now clap for the recording. It actually made their ‘modern’ show seem dated, like a flashback to 2010  

On 7/10/2017 at 3:13 PM, MikeN said:

Mike

Hmm. Yeah. That would probably bake the story in better. As it is now, I love the show but I can imagine people who haven't familiarized themselves with the theme and announcement are wondering, "Why are they huffing stuff from a tank?"

I can understand the people who feel overwhelmed or feel that it's a bit over the top... but that's the point of this show. 

The over-the-top presentation is what makes this show so fun and entertaining and so Cavaliers. I really love it