Whats your on favorite show?

Hmm, young crowd answering this.

1984 Garfield Cadets

Best soloist in drum corps history, Barbara Maroney.  She plays both beautifully and in a very exposed way.  It's not a run of notes and it's not a ton of vibrato -- holding those notes in the midst of a very athletic show is beyond amazing.

Stereo effects with call and response from different sides of the field.

Drill demand and velocity was probably at the largest delta compared to the rest of the corps for any year in drum corps history.

Company front out of nowhere at the end.

Marching demands on percussion amazing even today.

For me, the most relistenable show in drum corps history.  The miking and the stadium for the '84 Finals were great, and in particular the G bugles really popped that year.

Maybe the best mellophone line in drum corps history.  (Not an expert to compare every single year, but they are featured a ton and are just stunning.  I can play their feature in "America" to a drum corps novice and get a "whoa!" reaction.)

The most iconic drill move in drum corps history, the z-pull -- this is the year where it became legendary.

The whole corps is just absurdly talented.  Yeah, a lot of corps throughout DCI history have had a lot of talent - '86 and '94 Blue Devils and 2002 Cavies also come to mind - but there was something transcendent about the Cadets that year.  Every single thing was so #### good.

Drill demands on brass while playing difficult chart compare very favorably to tops corps 33 years later.  To put it mildly.  My goodness.

Would this exact show win the 2017 DCI Finals?  I'm not sure, but I think it might, and there would be a lot of crowd boos if it didn't.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, oldbandguy said:

OK    I'll see your 2013 Carolina Crown and raise you a 2016 Bluecoats Down Side Up

My reasons:

1st Bloo Gold, 1st Bloo Gold, 1st Bloo Gold, ... need I go on?

(plus it had the coolest prop and GREATEST ballad of all time)

That's a great choice, too!

7 hours ago, BoaDci said:

Ok, so I know there has been threads like this before, and we can edit them into our profile.  I want ONE show.    What is your favorite show of all time?  I understand this is like picking a child, but I want to know.  It doesn't matter if youve marched it or not, what era, or what division.  Tell me your one favorite show.  Tell me ten things you love about it.

Has no one suggested that posts include the year you began watching drum corps?  How many here saw '75 Scouts live on finals night?  (raises hand)  or '83 Garfield? (raises hand), or even '87 SCV or '88 SCV?  (raises hand)  If I hear Kinetic Noise one more time my head is going to explode.

History counts, folks.  Perspective is important.   

My perspective of one's opinion is more complete when I know what's being compared.  I know it's not a contest;  just put the first year you began watching drum corps.

Or not.  It's just band.

(Thanks.  I feel better.  Back to work...  Carry on)

• Like 2

The Garfield Cadets' three-pete was the most exciting three year-event of my then decade-old obsession with this activity, and ever since.

I don't have time to give you ten reasons, it just was.

(LOTS of excellent shows since, but the DRAMA! And the vibe!  It was cut-throat.)

First show: The 1972 US Open, Marion, Ohio

Edited by garfield
  • Like 3

1976 Blue Devils.  Best soloist in drum corps history, Bonnie Ott (take That, BrianL haha); that Sound - jazz in glorious textured layers (compare to the soprano heavy competitors of the time, this was something new and groundbreaking); Legend of a One Eyed Sailor - my most listened to single song of forever; a show so good the 2017 Blue Devils pay homage to it from the first step of the show; first championship of the corps that now stands alone as the automatic "team to beat" every year; the "V" from the 50 to a company front at the end of Chase the Clouds Away;  oh, did I mention Chase the Clouds Away with the best soloist ever Bonnie Ott?; (c'mon, consider just how BAD the mellophone design was back then, and how she made it sing).  Is that 10?  I don't know.  But I don't know how you think about "that one" without BD.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, garfield said:

Has no one suggested that posts include the year you began watching drum corps?  How many here saw '75 Scouts live on finals night?  (raises hand)  or '83 Garfield? (raises hand), or even '87 SCV or '88 SCV?  (raises hand)  If I hear Kinetic Noise one more time my head is going to explode.

History counts, folks.  Perspective is important.   

My perspective of one's opinion is more complete when I know what's being compared.  I know it's not a contest;  just put the first year you began watching drum corps.

Or not.  It's just band.

(Thanks.  I feel better.  Back to work...  Carry on)

I can raise my hand for all of the shows you can. I am not going to say Kinetic Noise is the best ever for me (I would say Star 91 and I am in a hurry so can't give 10 reasons but I will quickly note that their mellophone line trumps 84 Cadets in my opinion and the drill was George Zingalli's magnum opis) but ... Kinetic Noiise was pretty cool for all the reasons @DrumManTx noted. 

Oh, and you beat me by two years, '74 for me.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 2

My favorite show was 2004 Finals in Denver, Colorado. 

(OP, this is what you get when you phrase the question as vague as you did!)

This was my second live experience with drum corps, after prelims two nights prior. 

I was with my high school marching band. None of us had seen drum corps before that weekend. We were all so completely blown away by it all, yet by finals we had already divided into who we wanted to win, BD or Cavies. It was fun to cheer for our newly adopted favorite corps (one of my classmates can be clearly heard in the recording shouting "go BD!"). 

We couldn't believe how high the BD soloist could hit. We loved it. 

The crowd was electric. I can still hear the roar. 

The surprise ending for BD, where they suddenly filed off into the tunnel. 

The most epic Vanguard yell that ever was, and ever shall be. 

Blue Knight's return to finals in front of their home crowd. 

• Like 4

For me it has to Blue Devils 1993.  That horn book still holds up today and wow could they play the crap out of it, not to mention one of their best groups soloists ever!

40 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Old skool:  1984  Garfield Cadets 

New skool:  2012 Carolina Crown 

First show as a fan:  Illinois State Fair 1968

First show marched:  Streator, Illinois  1972

Sorry Terri, go and take a timeout. If you can't play by the rules (that ONE not that two) then you need to sit quietly for awhile and think about what you've done. 

• Like 1