Boston Crusaders 2018

8 hours ago, drummergirl said:

Just saw it posted online by director that the average age of the corps this year is 20. 

Does this include the guard?  The 2018 guard must have been contracted and in recent years, the guard has had the highest age average of any section of the corps.  But yes, an average age of 20 might be new territory for the corps.

• Like 1

DCIat14's thoughts on how he feels the corps may do this year is nice, but I'd like to know the tie in between angry and loud music and the show theme tease put out weeks ago.

Edited by Ghost

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

DCIat14's thoughts on how he feels the corps may do this year is nice, but I'd like to know the tie in between angry and loud music and the show theme tease put out weeks ago.

The music in that video teaser was more nautical in nature, than loud and angry, imo. I don't see much tie in between the two at the moment. , We really won't know what relationship... if any... loud and angry music will eventually have with the ever so short teaser show video demonstrating a nautical like theme.  Maybe such a tie in will be revealed later, but I doubt it. I'd imagine Boston will have some sort of ballad in their show too. Have to think the ballad won't be " loud ". But make no mistake., Boston will have the capacity to put out volume and intensity when the arrangement calls for it this summer, imo.   Boston is coming along quite nicely here in the off season, with a motivated MM talent, and a quality instuctionional staff. Brass, Percussion. Guard overall look improved to me. Don't know much about the Theme, nor the show Design, but the music opener is very appealing to my ears... so we'll see where this all goes from here on out. May move ins just around the corner, then June  shows right on the horizon after that. Should be fun to see how it all shakes out..

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

FWIW, can definitely confirm "loud and angry." And in terms of technicality, some of their notes put Crown a step below, tbh.

• Like 2

if Boston has played more technically demanding musical arrangements than what we'll hear this summer from them,  if must have been before my time.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BRASSO said:

The music in that video teaser was more nautical in nature, than loud and angry, imo. I don't see much tie in between the two at the moment. , We really won't know what relationship... if any... loud and angry music will eventually have with the ever so short teaser show video demonstrating a nautical like theme.  Maybe such a tie in will be revealed later, but I doubt it. I'd imagine Boston will have some sort of ballad in their show too. Have to think the ballad won't be " loud ". But make no mistake., Boston will have the capacity to put out volume and intensity when the arrangement calls for it this summer, imo.   Boston is coming along quite nicely here in the off season, with a motivated MM talent, and a quality instuctionional staff. Brass, Percussion. Guard overall look improved to me. Don't know much about the Theme, nor the show Design, but the music opener is very appealing to my ears... so we'll see where this all goes from here on out. May move ins just around the corner, then June  shows right on the horizon after that. Should be fun to see how it all shakes out..

I could imagine some angry music being associated stranded mutineers from the Bounty. Or Captain Bligh. Would that fit with the teaser? (Truly a wild guess on my part but I could kinda see it as a decent fit.)

4 hours ago, year1buick said:

I could imagine some angry music being associated stranded mutineers from the Bounty. Or Captain Bligh. Would that fit with the teaser? (Truly a wild guess on my part but I could kinda see it as a decent fit.)

People have been guessing what the theme is since the video show teaser came out.  About a dozen or more possibilities. I suppose at this point your guess is as good as any.  Boston at this point protects  theme/ show music " classified info " from leaking out better than the current FBI protects " Classified Information "...... lol

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ghost said:

Think of angry as maybe hyper aggressive, which is in the wheelhouse when looking back on some of last years show.  Take what you heard, how they played what they played, and step it up a notch or two or three.  When I watch the horn line warm up on the YouTube snippets from early and late last year (especially late) they are clean, tight.  Maybe that is the starting point of this years playing ability along with a more demanding book and added power.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, drummergirl said:

Just saw it posted online by director that the average age of the corps this year is 20. 

File this away for when the topic comes up every year about the age of each corps. 

that bodes well for them

I tend to believe the hype this year which I often take with a massive grain of salt 

My post was essentially quoting a Reddit post by another person.  That said, I was stunned and in awe by what I heard and saw!  I may have said it before, but I have no clue what the theme is...and at this point don't really care because what I heard has a life-blood of it's own.  It didn't just come from the brass-line either!  The front ensemble was super engaging & percussion killed it!  I can't wait to see how they tie in whatever the theme is.  Until then, I'll just enjoy the memories of what I heard & look forward to tour premiere!!  

• Like 4