The Cavaliers 2018, 70 years of excellence

It’s going to take a herculean effort to medal in 2018 for The Cavaliers.  This week’s recaps showed a disturbing trend because while our score only increased by 0.3 points, the other top tier competitors increased their scores by at least two full points.  

2 hours ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

It’s going to take a herculean effort to medal in 2018 for The Cavaliers.  This week’s recaps showed a disturbing trend because while our score only increased by 0.3 points, the other top tier competitors increased their scores by at least two full points.  

You aren't wrong. I admit I was a bit frustrated with that last night, but there is a reason for why this may of happened. I think they are going to be ok. As long as the marchers keep buying into their show, staff, and listen to us fans cheering for them... they are going to be just fine. If anything I think we could cheer for them even more than before. We can't give up hope after one show. Shoot, I'll never give up on them!

• Like 2

I can almost guarantee that the brass staff is not basing their educational philosophy with the corps on what some members of the Alumni told them.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

You might be right. But I took away from last night that they just had a bad night. It lacked the spark I saw in Whitewater. So I’m expecting them to bounce back on track.

I also thought the show was diminished slightly by the recorded singing and those tarps. I didn’t get the tarps at all. Except I kept watching them roll them out until I realized I was missing the rest of the show.

3 hours ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

No one in that show last evening is going to medal this year. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jim Schehr said:

No one in that show last evening is going to medal this year. 

Guess we'll see in a month and a half.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

You might be right. But I took away from last night that they just had a bad night. It lacked the spark I saw in Whitewater. So I’m expecting them to bounce back on track.

I also thought the show was diminished slightly by the recorded singing and those tarps. I didn’t get the tarps at all. Except I kept watching them roll them out until I realized I was missing the rest of the show.

I find the tarps no more distracting then SCV rolling the props around the field, BD pushing to form their artwork, bloos chairs, crowns boaty thingy, phantoms jungle gyms and Boston’s fire. In fact when they line up on them during the ballad I actually cheered I thought it was quite effective. 

I’m at the belief that this show still needs some cleaning, some layering, transition work and a new closer. Don’t think the GE judges know how to score it yet and feel it’s getting underscored. The crowd is eating it up and it’s great to hear/read the comments and support they’ve been getting.

As far as not medaling  who knows, but right now I’ll take a show that isn’t fully developed and fielded over a show scoring higher with less room to mature and becoming stagnant (which we have seen in the past and I think can happen now).

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

From chats with both a MM and a staffer, your first comment is spot on. The description was that the hornline was "loose" and not in a good way. Meanwhile guard and percussion both ended up in the top slot. We're a week into the season. Not sure it's time to over-react to a less than stellar night. Either way, with a kid in the corps, I'm all in until August no matter what they score! Go Cavies! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

I find the tarps no more distracting then SCV rolling the props around the field, BD pushing to form their artwork, bloos chairs, crowns boaty thingy, phantoms jungle gyms and Boston’s fire. In fact when they line up on them during the ballad I actually cheered I thought it was quite effective. 

I’m at the belief that this show still needs some cleaning, some layering, transition work and a new closer. Don’t think the GE judges know how to score it yet and feel it’s getting underscored. The crowd is eating it up and it’s great to hear/read the comments and support they’ve been getting.

I have faith in this staff to get things going in the next couple of weeks. I know the other corps have cleaning to do and they have great shows too, but I will never give up on them. 

Not going to lie, I would give anything to be there to help them out. Sadly, I am unable to... but one thing is for certain, I am going to cheer even harder than ever when they come to town. They have an amazing staff and amazing young musicians that will keep this corps alive for years to come. Which is why I am going to cheer even harder this season. It is the least I can do. Let's not give up hope for an awesome outcome this season!