YEA Board of Directors

24 minutes ago, Tommeee said:

Let's be accurate about this, because it's important.  The board did not do "nothing" since January.  Did they do ENOUGH?  Heck no, they absolutely didn't.  And I'm glad they're all gone now.

Fair, but let's be completely accurate and say that the old board claims that they did something in January. I don't think we have any evidence they actually did something in January and the outcome of their investigation was as good as doing nothing.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

That’s why they’re the old BOD.  They were probably hoping the victims wouldn’t go public is my guess. 

You have it completely backwards.  The best thing that could have happened for the board would have been for the accusations to go public immediately.  Everything would have been out in the open, and GH would have been gone (or if he chose to fight it, most likely from the sidelines).  No one would even be talking about the board unless - like Penn State - someone could find accusers with recent allegations.

The people whose interests were served by waiting were the accusers, who hoped that GH would step aside quietly and they would not need to go public.  It's easy to understand why someone would want to try to keep their story out of the press for as long as they could, because it's painful to tell even though the victim is blameless.  But the decision had consequences, because as long as GH could deny the anonymous accusations, all of YEA (including the board) were in limbo until something broke. 

Eventually the accusers went public, and when they did GH had no choice but to resign.

• Like 1

These NEW policies look solid. Management seems to be doing a GREAT job over there now.

https://yea.org/files/resources/YEA_SexualHarrassmentPolicy.pdf

https://yea.org/files/resources/YEA_CodeOfConduct.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Icer said:

Sounds like you know something no one else knows or has reported on.  Would you care to share your source on this?

it's actually well known, and the articles covering the story say that the victims went to the board demanding an independent investigation or else. The board chose or else.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Icer said:

Sounds like you know something no one else knows or has reported on.  Would you care to share your source on this?

There are certain victims, who are now public, who had contacted board members prior to January (within a 12 month period). There are other individual victim reports (not public) that go back a few years. To tie it into the topic of this thread... these are issues the investigators will be looking at over the coming months. What happened, what was reported, to whom was it reported, what action(s) were or were not taken. This will all inform what, if any, personal liability that may exist as well as organizational policies and procedures to put into place. As an example, you may recall from the mingusmonk thread (probably about 200 pages in) the interim CEO was suspended pending an investigation into allegations of an incident report that was not followed up on. I do not know if the report is true or not (i personally hope it is not) but the investigation will make that determination. There are dozens of other threads investigators will pull on to see what actually happened so this never happens again.

• Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Liahona said:

These NEW policies look solid. Management seems to be doing a GREAT job over there now.

https://yea.org/files/resources/YEA_SexualHarrassmentPolicy.pdf

https://yea.org/files/resources/YEA_CodeOfConduct.pdf

Under the first link. Reporting procedures: YEA ASKS (my emphasis) that a report be made if a participant.... a report must be made if a YEA member or staff is a victim....

Nit picky but “asking” kind of down plays it. Urging or saying YEA feels it is critical to report makes it sound more important.

Why aren’t the participants listed with “report must be made”?

yeah you can tell I’ve been getting this training for decades.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Under the first link. Reporting procedures: YEA ASKS (my emphasis) that a report be made if a participant.... a report must be made if a YEA member or staff is a victim....

Nit picky but asking kind of down plays it. Urging or saying YEA fells it is critical to report makes it sound more important.

I'm trying to understand your point..I'll re-read the policy and try to understand your issue...

10 minutes ago, Liahona said:

I'm trying to understand your point..I'll re-read the policy and try to understand your issue...

Yeah hard to be clear without typing a book. I know what the Department of Defense guidelines are and going from that.

Like I said nit picky but using “asks that a report is made” without stating how important it is that YEA knows about it is kind of wth. It’s like saying if you are harassed we would like to know but if you don’t tell us... no biggie.

And why would reports HAVE (my emphasis) be made if YEA employee or staff are harassed but not participants? If a marcher is harassed why would a report not have to be made.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

4 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Nit picky but asking kind of down plays it. Urging or saying YEA fells it is critical to report makes it sound more important.

I believe this all falls under the purview of "toleration". In that to tolerate the behavior is as much in violation of the new policy. I agree "ask" and "must" are different. Hopefully, I have not incorrectly understood your point.