Brass Arrangements Sound the Same

18 minutes ago, brians said:

then what are the mic's every 10 yards apart and 10 feet into the air from 30-30 yard lines pointing out on to the field for? (both cavies and colts had this set up)  What sound are they picking up.  I was at the whitewater show this past weekend sitting in row 17 right in front of one of the speakers, and i can assure you the whole corps proper was being picked up by these mics and was blasting out of the speakers. This was the case for the Colts, Cavaliers,  and at times Boston.

I don't see them in this video from Whitewater for the Colts.  Wait they're small.... Hmm.

Edited by jjeffeory

3 hours ago, BRASSO said:

The easiest identifiable, on field, unique characteristics of the various Corps was never really the brass sound to begin with me. Oh sure, with a handful of Corps there were definately some tell tale signs with the brass line sounds or particular arrangements played. But on the whole, the easiest identifiable characteristic for me with the various Drum Corps were their uniforms, shakos, and in some cases their Corps colors. Just like most of the College Marching Bands . if we took away all their unique attire, shakos,  traditional colors, it would be harder for me to distinquish among them on the field... especially if they did not play their signature songs out on the field, or do their signature visual moves. I would not be able not tell the difference with their trumpets sound,  nor the tuba sound,  nor the overall brass sounds with them. Most all of the College Marrching Bands would most certainly begin to look and sound more homogenous, and far less unique among themselves, very quickly to me I would imagine..

I can tell when this sound is on the field. I can tell when it isn't.

• Like 3

Part of the 'identity' that we know of corps from the past has to do with longstanding arrangers at those organizations.  These posts are more fluid and changing these days and it becomes harder to pick out the uniqueness of a group.

That being said... It is remarkable that the Bluecoats (with Doug Thrower) actually do sound relatively the same today as they did in the mid-late 90's.  The arrangements are technically more competitive (by strategy, choice, and talent prerequisites)... but they do sound the same.  You get the same vocabulary because it's the same guy.

Whereas the Cadets won't sound like that longstanding 'Bocook' voice that has filled most of their prominent history.

The Devils don't sound like Downey today...

And they don't have to.

• Like 1

I pretty much agree the brass lines sound alike, with the exception of proficiency level and volume. However, the "sameness" I pick up is a matter of how brass is being used these days. It's the physical movement of the performer that drives how the music is employed. Often, the brass is like a brief interlude to something more important. Fewer cohesive measures and more brief flourishes and hits. Understand, I am a dino and non-musician. Sure, I would like even more melody, but . . .

no big deal. I still enjoy the entirety of the presentation. The art is growing into something different from when I was younger, but so what? I'm still impressed and look forward to whatever comes next.

• Like 2

Crown always sounds the same to me. That is both a compliment and a criticism. I’m okay with the same technical sound, to a point, but when I can liken four or five arrangement concepts to virtually every show they have done, I think that’s a bit lazy for a world class corps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, JAZZER said:

I can tell when this sound is on the field. I can tell when it isn't.

I said as much above too. There are a few like this, but by and large, the 40+ Corps are not as easily identifiable as they used to be when they had all  their long utilized unique uniforms/ shakos and or Corps Colors. It is the attire and headgear that generally made these Corps uniquely and instantly indentifiable to me... and I assume to most  other Drum Corps fans too. The Brass sound among the 40 generally was/ is not the most easily identifiable and unique characteristic among the collective 40 some odd Corps. The attire/ headgear and / or corps colors worn was. I don't think we'd have much disagreement among the national Drum Corps fanbase on this point either.

Edited by BRASSO

sending the sound of the whole corps (not individualized MMs) through the board and out the sound system is just plain stupid and it sounds bad -- I thought we all agreed on this - 

c'mon man!
giphy.gif

I am resigned to the mic'ing of soloists - we don't need to reopen that can of dead horse....

• Like 2

The most recognizable brass lines are Blue Devils and CrownBloo is an honorable mention, but it's mostly due to their music.  Blue Devils have a full, balanced sound with a characteristic "sparkle" in the higher voices.  Crown has a purity of tone quality and a laser-lock on pitch.  

• Like 1