Heated 10-15 Competition

You could get 25 corps on the field for retreat. There's no reason why every corps has to occupy the entire vertical dimension of the field. They're packed tight side-to-side, but there's plenty of room for more front-to-back.

Yeah, I know the membership voted down a 15-corps finals. Like I said, I know I'm a (nearly) lone voice on this. I think "finals culture" is, overall, harmful to the activity. Not completely, not in every way, but in important margins, and for a purpose that just isn't very compelling, in my view. The intensity among BD, SCV and Crown this year is not going to be affected whether there are 3, 12, or 120 corps performing on Saturday night.

The final placement has an impact on how much money corps get paid at some shows the following year, so corps outside the top 12 are financially disadvantaged in the subsequent season. As to the gate on Saturday night, I have no idea how that's split up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

You could get 25 corps on the field for retreat. There's no reason why every corps has to occupy the entire vertical dimension of the field. They're packed tight side-to-side, but there's plenty of room for more front-to-back.

Yeah, I know the membership voted down a 15-corps finals. Like I said, I know I'm a (nearly) lone voice on this. I think "finals culture" is, overall, harmful to the activity. Not completely, not in every way, but in important margins, and for a purpose that just isn't very compelling, in my view. The intensity among BD, SCV and Crown this year is not going to be affected whether there are 3, 12, or 120 corps performing on Saturday night.

The final placement has an impact on how much money corps get paid at some shows the following year, so corps outside the top 12 are financially disadvantaged in the subsequent season. As to the gate on Saturday night, I have no idea how that's split up.

I understand how you feel...but it is not about giving everyone a participation trophy...It is simple...you want to SEE all 25 corps...then ATTEND the prelims earlier in the week rather then just flying in for Saturday night...

• Like 4

7 hours ago, George Dixon said:

So if we had four teams in the Super Bowl it reduces the odds that the Pats win right?

well hell Philly did that on their own.

######

5 hours ago, ouooga said:

Is there a breakdown somewhere of how corps get money from shows? Is it even money if you perform at, or does placement count too?

last i saw 1-8 from previous year get one amount, 9-17 a lower one, and 18- lower yet. on DCI run shows ( regionals, finals week) i believe there's a split ratio used

4 hours ago, mjoakes said:

FWIT, attendance during finals week can be pretty scarce for a lot of the early corps. That continues to Fri. And the last couple of years I remember seeing plenty of holes around in the stands on Sat even as 12, 11, and 10 were performing. 

happens at any show. it's called the Lot.

1 hour ago, BlueStainGlass said:

More corps = more concessions, more ticket sales, and more souvies. 

if that's the case, prelims would sell out

3 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Try getting 15 Corps or so Corps out onto the football field at Finals retreat, and see if there's no reason right there alone to keep it at 12. The 12 there are out there now are all bunched up tight and close, with little room as it is. Adding more Corps to the Finals Retreat does have logistical considerations that would need to be adequately addressed.

DCA manages 14 corps for their Finals retreat, but four of them are Class A with 65 or fewer performers, so they can fit easier.