Heated 10-15 Competition

20 minutes ago, 777hornman said:

Also finalist corps split the finals gate  sales. So that would dilute the money pool. 

Is there a breakdown somewhere of how corps get money from shows? Is it even money if you perform at, or does placement count too?

1 minute ago, ouooga said:

Is there a breakdown somewhere of how corps get money from shows? Is it even money if you perform at, or does placement count too?

I think all WC corps are the same . I could be wrong . But finalists have always split the gate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

And that's why he said many dont agree with more people in finals. I agree that we should. The only people against it should be those that hate everything outside the top 6. 

why? I am not following your logic or process of thought.

23 minutes ago, xandandl said:

why? I am not following your logic or process of thought.

The one I quoted is in favor of expanding finalist number from 12 to 12+.  You're already watching 25 groups on Friday in person or top 15 in theaters. So there is no reason really to not increase it but most want to keep the 12. 

• Like 1

FWIT, attendance during finals week can be pretty scarce for a lot of the early corps. That continues to Fri. And the last couple of years I remember seeing plenty of holes around in the stands on Sat even as 12, 11, and 10 were performing. 

51 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

FWIT, attendance during finals week can be pretty scarce for a lot of the early corps. That continues to Fri. And the last couple of years I remember seeing plenty of holes around in the stands on Sat even as 12, 11, and 10 were performing. 

I tried buying tickets last year for Friday on the 50 and ended up outside the 30s figuring people wouldnt be there. Finals has been selling endzone seats because of the other spots. Now people do check the lots and wait to go in for the top. Doesn't help you have a 15 minute walk. People buy tickets for of their kids group makes it and sometimes don't go if they dont. 

1 hour ago, BlueStainGlass said:

there is no reason really to not increase it but most want to keep the 12. 

Thats a matter of opinion. Try getting 15 Corps or so Corps out onto the football field at Finals retreat, and see if theres no reason right there alone to keep it at 12. The 12 there are out there now are all bunched up tight and close, with little room as it is. Adding more Corps to the Finals Retreat does have logistical considerations that would need to be adequately addressed. 12 is a good number for post DCD/ BluRay sales too. Besides, there is little to no support for increasing the Finals numbers from 12, even among the Corps Directors found most seasons just outside the TOP 12 themselves, ie Colts, Troopers, Mandarins, etc and so forth. Whenever a  proposal is up for consideration  at DCI Rules Congress to increase the Finals numbers of 12 Corps, these Corps , among with all the other Corps Directors, vote it down by considerable margins.

3 hours ago, 777hornman said:

I think all WC corps are the same . I could be wrong . But finalists have always split the gate.

ALSO at the rules congress this last winter it was up for a vote to let 15 corps into finals. IT DID NOT PASS. 

45 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Try getting 15 Corps or so Corps out onto the football field at Finals retreat, and see if theres no reason right there alone to keep it at 12.  

Yes, this has been discussed before and voted down by the corps.  But, before you can get 15 corps on the field, an additional three corps and all the vehicles they use might present additional logistic problems, unless the city wants to shut down some streets in the area.