Favorite shows and moments of 2018 so far

I've seen 8 of the top 12 corps live.

1. The first time I saw SCV's props come apart!  (mindblown...like 2016 bluecoats running out from behind the slides...or 2013 Carolina Crown dancing into the opener)

2. SCV's baritone duet during "My body is a cage" (Rick South...calling Rick South.... is this a reincarnation of your '79 duet?)

3. Bluecoats Vocalist (this isn't drum corps...BUT IT IS!!! IT IS!!!)

• Like 5

I hated electronics.... until Bluecoats used them to perfection in their 2014 production Tilt.

I hated singers..... until Bluecoats found a way to make it work this year.

So my favorite and most surprising moment so far this year is Bluecoats incredible vocalist.

Edited by bluesman
grammar
  • Like 7

Some of my favorite moments so far this year:

Bluecoats - The Big Band Jazz part in the middle of the show with the guard dancing around the old style microphones - just plain out fun.  To be honest, the whole show is just pure GE for me !!!!

Cadets - they have my favorite arrangement of Sensemaya - so dark !!!

Blue Devils - the all male dance feature and the all female dance feature.  Their movement program is extraordinary !

Mandarins - the entire beginning of the show with the solo dancer who "dies" on stage and gets dragged off 

Crown - love that the guard has grown tremendously over last year.  Their weapon line is pretty sweet

Cavaliers - the guard book - all of it.  So well written and so challenging !!!!

Later

Mike

• Like 4

Favorite show is SCV. They just have a sustained energy throughout the entire thing that is so captivating. I have three favorite moments. One is the entire SCV ballad from start to finish. The horn snap is STUNNING. Second is BD guard when guys are on rifle and the girls on sabre. The work between them is magical. Third is Bluecoats opening hit fake. There's buildup and then mellophones start doing cool runs, what's not to love?

Edited by kinetic inferno11
  • Like 1

Favorite caption: Boston’s weapons are featured heavily, insanely good and with very high difficulty. Can’t take my eyes off them!

Favorite moments: Bluecoats fake hit is simply fantastic! Also like cadets full company front. 

Honorable mention: The cadets just being back strong this year and moving on from organizational issues.  

Edited by Den8uml
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, CrownBariDad said:

I've only seen the show once that I recall. Is it "beatnik" or is it "scat" singing which predates the 50s?  It seemed like the latter to me, but those in the know or a second viewing could certainly change my opinion. 

Yes!! This is the 40s and this is "scat".

4 hours ago, quietcity said:

Bloo: the singer-tuba duet, and the trumpet-trombone trio that starts the ballad. This is just pure music. 

And extra credit for Bloo's color scheme and uniforms. There are not many corps outfits that you could wear to go clubbing. 

They certainly have put it all together this year.  It all works together.  What a team!

• Like 5

There are a LOT of great moments posted here, so I'll add a new one: Crown's all-female brass feature on "If I Fell". Very exposed and they pull it off well. It will only get better. 

• Like 5

Favorite show so far is probably mandarins, favorite part is the opening chaotic brass hit and then they turn around and you think it’s over but they hit you over the head with it again. Epic. 

• Like 2