DCI Southwestern Regional - July 21, 2018

Just now, BlueStainGlass said:

Wheres @corps8294 to say the guard isnt doing well this year :laughing:

I think that user has said that the guard work was difficult and they weren't achieving it well. But yes I remember that post in our corps thread. Way to go again to Shapiro for challenging his kids. 

If you can achieve or come close to achieving the content, then the content wasn't difficult enough, IMO.

6 minutes ago, Citizen-Seth said:

Seems pretty on the nose. BD is clean, but they just aren’t attempting anything near the level of the rest of the top 6. 

Yeah but there's a reason you don't often see this sort of gap.  If the substance is lacking, true achievement can reach only so high.   But in this case I guess the thought is that the substance is sixth but competitive with most everything above it?

When’s the last time a corps not named the Blue Devils had a 1+ point lead over the course of a season?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, wilme861 said:

They got close to the SA record score but lagged behind 06 Cavaliers for that with a 92.55. For that matter, 2014 BD scored a 91.65 here so not much of an indicator of the final score.

I don't think we are going to see the scoring record broken unless SCV starts sweeping all captions.  I don't think they are in a position to get away with that even though they will probably hold a full point+ margin going forward.  The caption competition in a few areas is much too stiff and SCV, while clearly being the top dog, they aren't top dog in all (or essentially all) areas, and that is what is required to beat the record (perfect scores and caption sweeps).

Edited by cfirwin3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

When’s the last time a corps not named the Blue Devils had a 1+ point lead over the course of a season?

I almost feel like SCV doesn't deserve that kind of a lead with the cruddy visual program they have, but it's still better than anyone close to them. 

Kind of an off year for visuals. It's been an off year for visual programs since Cadets 2011, IMO. Well I'll throw Crown 12 and 13 in there. Those were decent visual shows. But this year just takes the cake for it all. Just a bad visual year. 

Edited by BoyWonder1911
  • Like 1

Great show!! SCV and Bloo blew me away!!

Now the downside

When was the last time phantom was in 10th place at a major regional?

Saddest of all was Madison.  16th place?  Can they keep attracting a talent pool when the arrow is definately down?  I don't think so..They be moving to total irrelevance or oblivion.

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Correct me if i am wrong

8/6/2015    Skip Navigation Links
DCI World Championship Prelims - Indianapolis, IN    Expand DCI World Championship Prelims - Indianapolis, IN
World Class    95.350    96.475    Carolina Crown    1.125

1 minute ago, cfirwin3 said:

I don't think we are going to see the scoring record broken unless SCV starts sweeping all captions.  I don't think they are in a position to get away with that even though they will probably hold a full point+ margin going forward.  The caption competition in a few areas is much too stiff and SCV, while clearly being the top dog, they aren't top dog in all (or essentially all) areas, and that is what is required to beat the record (perfect scores and caption sweeps).

If scores are still comparable to shows of the past, I don't think SCV's show deserves anything more than a 98.00 maximum. I would probably put it at 97.5 for the win, but that musical program, wow. They have such a big sound, and a very technically difficult musical program.