DCI Southwestern Regional - July 21, 2018

5 minutes ago, BostonLUck said:

I'm LOVING the scores tonight. It is very refreshing to see judges awarding scores to those who deserve it... umm... HELLO Boston Crusaders' guard?! Get it. That's awesome. And SCV dominating with a great design... I think we may have a NEW record soon :-)  It's always great to see the "perennials" shaken up! Great shows. Can't wait to see these groups in ATL.

G'night.

Yeah I like your enthusiasm...lol. There will be no records broken 3 weeks from now. It would be great to see BAC win the guard caption, and I think it's reasonable to think it's quite possible. 

But as far as record raw score, no way. SCV does not have the visual program to compete for, like I said earlier, more than a 98.00.

They have a great musical program as far as difficulty, but it doesn't even rank in the top 10 of greatest musical programs in DCI history. Maybe in achievement, okay, they have such a great sound. But they don't sound as good as Blue Devils 2014 or Blue Devils 2010 (Through a Glass, Darkly). Those musical programs were just on another level.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I think the people hoping for SCV to break the record this year are exhibiting wishful thinking. BD swept every single caption except percussion in 2014 to hit that 99.65. I don’t see SCV doing that with Crown coming in so strongly in brass and BAC in guard. 

In fact, while I think SCV will win this year, I think it will be by less than a full point 

15 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

When’s the last time a corps not named the Blue Devils had a 1+ point lead over the course of a season?

Cavaliers 2002 was a monster show. No one got within a point of them all year. They scored a 96 on July 28.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

If the Colts' average score over the 3 major regionals is higher than Madison's, the Colts get the 15th and final spot.

that is great - the Colt's organization has put in a lot of work over the decades. They very much deserve the success they are enjoying this summer. Colts are a great example of what is good about drum corps and what works -- I especially respect them for investing in a cadet corps and staying local.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, just_another_fanatic said:

Happy for SCV and surprised that Crown is closing in. Wrote them off last week.

Last week I posted that I watched/listened to this show for more than 2 hours and I was #### certain that I saw/heard something that could catapult them back into this race.  I don't know WHAT it was and I STILL don't, I just.....saw/heard something.....

IT'S NOT OVER YET, let's see what they can do with this momentum!!!!! :thumbup:

42 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Looking at the recap....buh, those guard scores.

Boston has been at the top of the eastern tour most of the season in guard.  Their book is a step up from last year when they finished third at finals. They should not be a surprise to anyone.  And I’ve been saying all year that BDs content is easier and they nail it really really well but need to increase the difficulty. Its showing in the guard placement now.  

5 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Numbers have no relevance, especially to the past although there are those who believe so..Nor is there anything as a true perfect sub caption score. Just so many numbers to work with . IF, SCV wins and scores  get close to that 98-99 mark it will mostly be because of the quality in 2-3-4 ( like always )

I agree with scoring being based on how much you beat your competition by, but it's still reasonable to compare shows across time, and numbers are a reasonable way of doing that.

I still think a show like, for example, Cadets 2011, 2005, 2000, 1998, and yes, even as far back as 1993 (Cadets, OR Star, if you're one of those who thought they should have won), could still win, and is still a better product than anything we have from this year. Those kinds of visual programs (maybe even music) are still far superior to what I saw out of the top 4 corps tonight, and the scores should reflect as such. 

2 minutes ago, tedrick said:

that is great - the Colt's organization has put in a lot of work over the decades. They very much deserve the success they are enjoying this summer. Colts are a great example of what is good about drum corps and what works -- I especially respect them for investing in a cadet corps and staying local.

Colts have an entertaining show this season too, so I'm hoping they make the cinema telecast.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BoyWonder1911 said:

5 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Numbers have no relevance, especially to the past although there are those who believe so..Nor is there anything as a true perfect sub caption score. Just so many numbers to work with . IF, SCV wins and scores  get close to that 98-99 mark it will mostly be because of the quality in 2-3-4 ( like always )

I agree with scoring being based on how much you beat your competition by, but it's still reasonable to compare shows across time, and numbers are a reasonable way of doing that.

I still think a show like, for example, Cadets 2011, 2005, 2000, 1998, and yes, even as far back as 1993 (Cadets, OR Star, if you're one of those who thought they should have won), could still win, and is still a better product than anything we have from this year. Those kinds of visual programs (maybe even music) are still far superior to what I saw out of the top 4 corps tonight, and the scores should reflect as such. 

if competition existed in a vacuum, maybe...

idk. times (as well as perspectives) change.

posted from the DrumScorps app

• Like 1