DCI Southwestern Regional - July 21, 2018

52 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Wow!  That’s a big spread. 

Yes, quite large tonight.

Off subject: I went ahead and bought 2012 championships on Blu-Ray last week (already have it on DVD) because of our conversation a couple of weeks ago LOL  :biggrin:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BoyWonder1911 said:

I agree with scoring being based on how much you beat your competition by, but it's still reasonable to compare shows across time, and numbers are a reasonable way of doing that.

I still think a show like, for example, Cadets 2011, 2005, 2000, 1998, and yes, even as far back as 1993 (Cadets, OR Star, if you're one of those who thought they should have won), could still win, and is still a better product than anything we have from this year. Those kinds of visual programs (maybe even music) are still far superior to what I saw out of the top 4 corps tonight, and the scores should reflect as such. 

Makes me wonder, what exactly is being judged visually? Is it drill design balanced with props balanced with body movement?

1 hour ago, tedrick said:

it is a great storyline this year that there are fresh faces in the top 15 at semis this year - theater audiences are going to be excited to see Mandarins - 

Mandarins made top 15 last year and were on broadcast.

This year -I wish they moved more . Mandarins have some power but they don’t move and play . At all. 

Watch the video . 

Shocking when it was brought to my attention. I watched tonight . No one moves first 2:00 of program then every time the brass plays they simply don’t move . 

I wish Colts had a real singer instead of canned music.

Crossmen move over a lot . Clean it . I like .should have been 11th.or 10th

Troopers have a good music program .

Blue Stars have very good drill .7th?

Madison not as bad as I heard. 14th

Spirit sounds great but visual program ?? Still move more than Mandarins. 

Cadets do not have a good drill. They get the worst uniform award. 

Boston overrated . If your seats are on right side 30 yard. You will love them .  

SCV is very loud.and full. 

Blooo had a bad run tonight .phrasing .

Crown first half awesome .

Blue Devils still out perform everyone . 

Cavies So much better than the gap with BAC.

Edited by 777hornman
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, valjean said:

if competition existed in a vacuum, maybe...

idk. times (as well as perspectives) change.

posted from the DrumScorps app

numbers are only numbers.. they work for separating ,  but as you get to the top few, numbers run out. That 1st place sub caption deserves 1st for sure, they are ranked there BUT perfect score or even close to perfect..no

Have to admit though, even knowing better , can't help but feel good when you hear those scores..lol

Edited by GUARDLING

1 minute ago, 777hornman said:

I wish they moved more . Mandarins have some power but they don’t move and play . At all. 

Watch the video . 

Shocking when hen it was brought to my attention. 

good point.... the prop is cool though - 

let's hope they are working on improving drill.... but yeah.... it might be too late for that.... still, it's safe to say they are in the top 12.... which is pretty darn cool!

I said from the very beginning that I want the Blue Stars to place as high as possible and I was also very critical of lot of things...especially their guard. I even thought the corps might be in danger of falling out of finals this year. The corps has improved dramatically during the past couple of weeks and have proved me wrong; which I'm extremely happy about. There is still plenty of time left for them to keep climbing the middle tier and max the show out. With that being said, my Sunday dinner will be a plate of crow and some humble pie for dessert. :thumbup:

• Like 2

Look at Spirit with 11th place numbers for brass and percussion and an overall 12 place in music!! Hopefully some tweaks will be made this week to get that GE score up before Atlanta! 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

numbers are only numbers.. they work for separating ,  but as you get to the top few, numbers run out. That 1st place sub caption deserves 1st for sure, they are ranked there BUT perfect score or even close to perfect..no

Have to admit though, even knowing better , can't help but feel good when you hear those scores..lol

I agree for the most part. If some of those caption scores in 2014 with BD don't qualify as perfect than I have no idea what ever could.

So from what I've seen from only videos, Bloo is phasing a lot in Saro with all of the eighth note repeating phrases in the baris and trumpets, which I'm sure is really difficult to get right with the distances on the field and everything. The best time at a show seems to have been at Orlando, and the trumpet eighths still got slow after the big hit. Does it sound as bad live? I'm sure they can bump up their score by cleaning this up a lot more.