DCI World Champs Prelims - Aug 9, 2018

1 minute ago, wvu80 said:

How do they decide caption awards for the championships?  Don't they average all three nights?

Yes

Glad to see a few things there...

Glad to see Bloo pulling those GE numbers.  Glad to see SCV taking more captions, especially brass (that is a crowded caption).  Also glad to see the apparent contending deficiency with Bloo's design finally being highlighted properly in the captions... Their hang up has always been percussion content.  The show design does not contend with many others on the fact that it lacks section features on the field percussion.  It's not the program, it's not the talent, it's not even the writing itself... It's just a lack of feature that was necessary to contend.  I love the show without the feature... BUT, that feature was important to include in the interest of competition... and it wasn't there.  I hope everyone can be satisfied with trying again next year, more carefully to balance the content needs.  I would be disappointed to hear that anyone was frustrated with the design process... or feels neglected/overruled going forward...

I would also be disappointed if they feel as though they need to be drastically different or more 'serious' next time around.

Keep the fun real, Bloo!

• Like 2

How do they decide caption awards for the championships?  Don't they average all three nights?

Yes.

2 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Also glad to see the apparent contending deficiency with Bloo's design finally being highlighted properly in the captions... Their hang up has always been percussion content.  The show design does not contend with many others on the fact that it lacks section features on the field percussion.  It's not the program, it's not the talent, it's not even the writing itself... It's just a lack of feature that was necessary to contend. 

Wow.  I trust your analysis/judgement on that, but speaking as a fan with his butt in the seats it's hard to imagine ANY deficits in their show.  They have one of the best programs I've ever seen.

I guess that's why I'm not a judge.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Also glad to see the apparent contending deficiency with Bloo's design finally being highlighted properly in the captions... Their hang up has always been percussion content. 

I like how their percussion book fits with B&B.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cfirwin3 said:

Glad to see a few things there...

Glad to see Bloo pulling those GE numbers.  Glad to see SCV taking more captions, especially brass (that is a crowded caption).  Also glad to see the apparent contending deficiency with Bloo's design finally being highlighted properly in the captions... Their hang up has always been percussion content.  The show design does not contend with many others on the fact that it lacks section features on the field percussion.  It's not the program, it's not the talent, it's not even the writing itself... It's just a lack of feature that was necessary to contend.  I love the show without the feature... BUT, that feature was important to include in the interest of competition... and it wasn't there.  I hope everyone can be satisfied with trying again next year, more carefully to balance the content needs.  I would be disappointed to hear that anyone was frustrated with the design process... or feels neglected/overruled going forward...

I would also be disappointed if they feel as though they need to be drastically different or more 'serious' next time around.

Keep the fun real, Bloo!

Not trying to dispute some great insight here by you. But, their low score in caption they typically score comes down to not featuring the percussion section enough? Appreciate the insight and will rewatch the show with that in mind. Rarick is one of the few perc arrangers that do both the front ensemble and battery, and Roger and crew have been doing great with the cleaning and polishing of the battery and pit. As well as being on the forefront with electronics, so that is why I'm so surprised.

2 minutes ago, flammaster said:

I like how their percussion book fits with B&B.

And if you've seen them live!, they have the absolute coolest pit I've ever seen!

Sunglasses, black shirts/pants, black berets and attitude!

• Like 2

Captions were right on the money.  They should have handed out trophys tonight and save a lot of money.

• Haha 1

Wow.  I trust your analysis/judgement on that, but speaking as a fan with his butt in the seats it's hard to imagine ANY deficits in their show.  They have one of the best programs I've ever seen.

I guess that's why I'm not a judge.

1 minute ago, Jeffe77 said:

Not trying to dispute some great insight here by you. But, their low score in caption they typically score comes down to not featuring the percussion section enough? Appreciate the insight and will rewatch the show with that in mind. Rarick is one of the few perc arrangers that do both the front ensemble and battery, and Roger and crew have been doing great with the cleaning and polishing of the battery and pit. As well as being on the forefront with electronics, so that is why I'm so surprised.

Watch the show and you'll notice Bloo's show flows soo nicely because there is no disruptive percussion break with a bunch of notes being rammed. Rennick's a great writer, but I think he is guilty of inserting a little too much (This year's show is much better than Ourobouros, which I still find to be a long percussion feature with some brass accompaniment) and BD always has very showy percussion writing as well

Bloo took a much more subtle approach this year and while it makes for a very smooth viewing, it also means their percussion just doesn't have as many opportunities to show off their chops. I'm glad they did it the way they did though

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Frollo said:

Boston doesn’t have a Box 5 percussion at prelims? That doesn’t seem right. They were competing so well during the first half of the season. These percussion scores are whack. 

Their scores have taken a hit in the last 3-4 shows.