DCI World Champs Prelims - Aug 9, 2018

15 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

How do they decide caption awards for the championships? 

stupidly

• Like 3

What was the .5 penalty assessed to BK for????

16 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Glad to see a few things there...

Glad to see Bloo pulling those GE numbers.  Glad to see SCV taking more captions, especially brass (that is a crowded caption).  Also glad to see the apparent contending deficiency with Bloo's design finally being highlighted properly in the captions... Their hang up has always been percussion content.  The show design does not contend with many others on the fact that it lacks section features on the field percussion.  It's not the program, it's not the talent, it's not even the writing itself... It's just a lack of feature that was necessary to contend.  I love the show without the feature... BUT, that feature was important to include in the interest of competition... and it wasn't there.  I hope everyone can be satisfied with trying again next year, more carefully to balance the content needs.  I would be disappointed to hear that anyone was frustrated with the design process... or feels neglected/overruled going forward...

I would also be disappointed if they feel as though they need to be drastically different or more 'serious' next time around.

Keep the fun real, Bloo!

IMO...the pit book. jazz isn't as notey, and hence doesnt get the true appreciation it should

18 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

How do they decide caption awards for the championships?  Don't they average all three nights?

Yes, and I think that makes sense, because that way no one judge determines a caption winner (just as no one judge determines the overall winner).

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

IMO...the pit book. jazz isn't as notey, and hence doesnt get the true appreciation it should

The pit is so cool though, and their pit setup which is on the field, not on the sideline serves as a more intimate stage for the jazz singer.

I sure appreciate it.  The boys can play!

10 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Watch the show and you'll notice Bloo's show flows soo nicely because there is no disruptive percussion break with a bunch of notes being rammed. Rennick's a great writer, but I think he is guilty of inserting a little too much (This year's show is much better than Ourobouros, which I still find to be a long percussion feature with some brass accompaniment) and BD always has very showy percussion writing as well

Bloo took a much more subtle approach this year and while it makes for a very smooth viewing, it also means their percussion just doesn't have as many opportunities to show off their chops. I'm glad they did it the way they did though

Yep.  You get what I'm saying.  There is a known (now known) scoring sacrifice that was made and maintained for a greater purpose.  Greater purposes don't always outweigh the sacrifices though.  If we pretended that SCV wasn't in the equation, we would see the unusual instance of a corps consistently holding on to the biggest caption, yet still managing to place 2nd... That's a content imbalance that can't help but be noticed on the sheets.

Tom is awesome and he has done so, so much for the organization.  I just hope that he is being heard, appreciated, and that there isn't any stifling behind the scenes.  I have no reason to believe that there is... but this content adjudication (rightly given) is a major outlier in the history of more successful Bluecoats design.

Edited by cfirwin3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Yes, and I think that makes sense, because that way no one judge determines a caption winner (just as no one judge determines the overall winner).

But one judge can kill a corps chances if they seem to be way off based on how that section has done previously.

7 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Yeah.  I think the sheets are field centric.  It's not a bad thing... It's just idiomatic, and Bloo bucked the idiom a bit more than others at the top.

11 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

stupidly

:spitting:

3 hours ago, quijeros said:

Finals or not, I still love the Phantom show. Wonderful music.

Elevator music.  Go hang out in a hotel elevator 

• Sad 2