Sign in to follow this  
Prsmpower4

2019 Madison Scouts!

Recommended Posts

On 9/4/2018 at 5:29 PM, Liahona said:

You can't tell me with a STRAIGHT FACE...That there is not one person that watched LIVE Madison Scouts '95 OR '99 and was NOT blown away.  Honestly, a lot of the stuff performed these days is a real snooze fest...not everything...but A LOT...It is what it is though...BUT I can always find something I like in just about any show...

Perhaps entertained was not the word...a show that gets me to jump out of my seat...very few corps have done that to me in recent memory sans The Cadets and SCV....but the MS actually were one that for many years brought that RAW EMOTION to the table...

actually i know people that thought it was old school tripe, and they wanted more shows like other top corps were doing. Seriously. 

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

The show design of 1995 would score a 19.95 in GE today.

Yeah, but I'd pay to see it live.  I do look forward to seeing a turn around for the corps this year and how it plays out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

For starters, I think you said the opposite of what you meant with that triple negative.  You think Madison was widely entertaining in those years, right?  (I sure do.)

Now, from what I have seen, Madison has tried to bring exactly that kind of content to current programs.  They literally did JCS again in 2016, and Spanish style music in 2018.  And those are the two years they got bumped out of finals. 

To be competitive in this era, you are forced to have a unifying theme.  Supporting that requires either a storyline, or excessive pre-recorded sound samples and narration (and judges will insist on adding more of it during the season).  Now you need props, and people climbing on them.  Solos must be amplified.  Standard uniforms and headgear are discouraged.  You cannot just play music and move around without at least adding an inexplicable giant wheel that rolls around very slowly (2014), or non-stop city noises blaring from the pit (2015), or whatever else you can think of that tickles the fancy of the judges.

The show design of 1995 would score a 19.95 in GE today.

This is the sad/current/whatever reality of competitive DCI today. You have to play the game DCI and the judges during the season dictate. Scouts don't have the luxury of driving innovation like Bluecoats, Blue Devils, Crown, etc. and instead have to be the best of the "me toos" in order to break back into the top 12.

Mind you, I'm not saying this is a good or bad thing, just a thing. Until and unless adjudication in DCI gets overhauled Scouts, and other non-top 7 corps, are going to be making crap-shoot decisions regarding show design each year and hoping it resonates with judges.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not everyone was blown away by the Madison style back in the late 80’s and 90’s.  I saw them live at the DCI Championships in 95 and 99 and did not care for them.  I found their style a bit too bombastic and over the top for me.  My favorite Madison show has to be the 9/11 New York show of 2010.  Loved that one.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rufus67 said:

This is the sad/current/whatever reality of competitive DCI today. You have to play the game DCI and the judges during the season dictate. Scouts don't have the luxury of driving innovation like Bluecoats, Blue Devils, Crown, etc. and instead have to be the best of the "me toos" in order to break back into the top 12.

Mind you, I'm not saying this is a good or bad thing, just a thing. Until and unless adjudication in DCI gets overhauled Scouts, and other non-top 7 corps, are going to be making crap-shoot decisions regarding show design each year and hoping it resonates with judges.

any corps can be innovative if they choose. most play follow the leader

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/4/2018 at 9:47 AM, Liahona said:

Too bad...I wouldn't mind that at all actually...

Exactly.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JFitz19 said:

Not everyone was blown away by the Madison style back in the late 80’s and 90’s.  I saw them live at the DCI Championships in 95 and 99 and did not care for them.  I found their style a bit too bombastic and over the top for me.

Given the overall crowd responses to those shows -- people literally leaping out of their seats -- there is usually an exception to the rule, and in this case you are it.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JFitz19 said:

Not everyone was blown away by the Madison style back in the late 80’s and 90’s.  I saw them live at the DCI Championships in 95 and 99 and did not care for them.  

 No Corps in history has had everyone love their show however. That said, DCI itself about 10 years ago did a national fan survey of shows over the decades that were fan favorites, and '95 Madison Scouts were among the Top 10 of the most liked shows in all of DCI History at that time. The fact that you did not care for it at all back then is so noted here now as well.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Listen to recordings of Scouts in the 90s...especially 95, 97 and 99 and hear the crowd. The vast majority loved those shows. You can't please everyone, but it feels like Scouts have gone opposite. Some loved recent shows but it feels like most are indifferent.

 I personally WANT Scouts to get back to the macho, bombastic, over-the-top style. That's what so many fell in love with. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/4/2018 at 5:29 PM, Liahona said:

You can't tell me with a STRAIGHT FACE...That there is not one person that watched LIVE Madison Scouts '95 OR '99 and was NOT blown away.  Honestly, a lot of the stuff performed these days is a real snooze fest...not everything...but A LOT...It is what it is though...BUT I can always find something I like in just about any show...

Perhaps entertained was not the word...a show that gets me to jump out of my seat...very few corps have done that to me in recent memory sans The Cadets and SCV....but the MS actually were one that for many years brought that RAW EMOTION to the table...

I feel bad for the people who find modern drum corps "boring." 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.