2019 Phantom Regiment

45 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Validating the virtue signalers by responding to them at all is a sign of weakness. They could theoretically play music all by women composers, and then some helpy helperton would find some reason to object to the women chosen. Maybe they’re the wrong race, religion, etc. Maybe their stance on whatever issue of the day was wrong. It just never ends. Which is why the proper response should have been pfffft

My guess is the design team didn’t even step out of their comfort zone and try to find a piece of music written by a woman. There’s plenty, especially in the pop music genre. The Cadets did it fourteen years ago (Björk) without even making an issue about playing a piece written by a woman and won it all. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian Tuma said:

My guess is the design team didn’t even step out of their comfort zone and try to find a piece of music written by a woman. There’s plenty, especially in the pop music genre. The Cadets did it fourteen years ago (Björk) without even making an issue about playing a piece written by a woman and won it all. 

Was the design team supposed to find a piece of music written by a woman?  If so, can you explain why?  A check of the show announcement says nothing about this being a salute to women composers. 

16 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

Meh, not worth arguing. The PR team can design a show however they want. In the grand scheme of things it’s only marching band. 

Agreed

4 hours ago, Phantombari1 said:

Saying I screwed up isn't always an act of courage.  I'm ok with more honesty saying we didn't choose a woman composer for "this" reason rather than caving in for political reasons.  

Having no backbone is a weakness!

I know it’s not a true predictor, but you have to wonder how well they’re planning everything else. 

On 5/29/2019 at 6:38 PM, kdaddy said:

I like the rep quite a bit. But I don't especially like the brass band selection. The stuff that Crown et al. (and now Academy) has chosen has a lot more melody than the tune Regiment chose - seems more like notes for notes sake.

That's pretty much all brass band music, atleast in my opinion. Not a fan of it

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I can't find the link at the moment, but after all of the Twitter rage about not using womens composers, Will Pitts released a statement about it...very open, honest, and admitting, yeah, maybe we screwed up. I'm no fan of what he's written for Phantom the last few years, but that level of openness and honesty was a breath of fresh air

Good lord so unnecessary and stupid. 

He has nothing to apologize for. Drum corps source music, especially classical musical, has predominately been composed by old white men. That's just a fact. There's no need to shoehorn female composers just to appease the whiners. The best pieces should be chosen for a show theme, with no attention paid to the composers of said music

3 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

I'm not really seeing the correlation between "stepping out of the comfort zone" and choosing women composers. Is music composed by women harder to arrange? Harder to play? Composed differently?

Placate, Appease, Pacify, Mollify,  and/or Apologize.... If this is how design choices are going to be made in the new era of drum corps I would rather be at the dentist getting a tooth extracted.

• Like 1