2019 Phantom Regiment

28 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Good grief - I just want a great show with great music and visuals. I don’t care if the source music was written by gerbil as long as it is great. 

hamster-band.jpg

"Rodent Regiment...you may now take the field in competition"

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

3 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

hamster-band.jpg

"Rodent Regiment...you may now take the field in competition"

I heard they hit some high notes but the tuba section struggles 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Again. If you’re not getting it then there’s nothing I can say to make you get it.

Oh I get it - I just disagree 

• Thanks 1

Just now, George Dixon said:

I heard they hit some high notes but the tuba section struggles

Every one of them appears to be a percussionist (read drummer) at heart looking at their duck feet. The one with the wee little guitar is pretty darn cute though LOL. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Oh I get it - I just disagree 

And that's one of the best parts about the activity. The choices in music, theme / concept and design of the final product are incredibly subjective. I can see the point of saying "Let's hope it's a great show. Maybe it would be even better if there were some female composers' music in the show." But I can't see dooming a show due to political correctness before we have even heard the first note (much less seen the design, etc.) But that's my opinion and my opinion only. 

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

It’s not validation, nor do I need validation. I was merely pointing out that there are a lot of us who get it. Seemingly more than those of you who don’t get it. Perhaps those of you who don’t get it should try to learn something.

Wait a minute -- who brought up "those of us" on "Twitter" and "Facebook" who "get it" ?   Perhaps you should be a tad careful when you attempt to throw posters under the bus.  FWIW I agree that it's a "missed opportunity" to design a show about empowering women and not find at least one piece -- you know -- written by a woman.  But very often designers are wrapped up in choosing music that (a) brings the right emotional tone (b) showcases the talent level performers  (c) has built-in "effect" moments in the score (d) is not to encumbered with rights issues / doesn't cost too much to license (e) (f) (g) whatever other criteria the  show construction calls for at the point.    IOW the "who" rarely matters if a piece checks the all of  design team's boxes.    I can see why this happened .  But they're all clearly :doh:'ing  right now.

Edited by karuna
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Camille Paglia is right.  First wave feminism was great.  Second wave feminism is killing us.  

High Best Comment of the Day on any Social Media Platform  :thumbs-up:

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dans said:

This argument is rediculous. And yes, it does mirror our screwed up society! I hope political correctness doesn't destroy drum corps the same way it is ripping our country apart.

That is a stupid, ignorant comment. Male vs female composers aside, drum corps needs political correctness just like the country.  and let the chips fall where they may. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TRacer said:

High Best Comment of the Day on any Social Media Platform  :thumbs-up:

Don’t get me wrong.  I’ve read many feminism books.  I’ve read Susan Faludi, Marilyn French,  Pagla...

The important thing to me when I marched in drum corps brass lines was to be treated as an equal.   Big picture things like that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, queenanne_1536 said:

It’s not bogus. I’m not sure why you don’t get that it was a really missed opportunity here. I think it’s obvious there’s nothing I can say to make you get it.

If you can’t explain it, you don’t understand it. This is dog whistle politics. Period. You probably think the Israel Philharmonic shouldn’t play Wagner?  

• Like 4