2019 Phantom Regiment

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

But this one was channeling George Hopkins, and his 2010 blog comment about music written by "dead white people".  (Maybe that is what made it so disturbing.)

That was Hop showing how hip, cool and with it he is. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Haha 1

I think it absurd to make such an inane comment regarding dead white people. What purpose does it serve? NONE!

As far as the show itself, I remain skeptical just based on trajectory and recent design choices (i.e. failures). All of the musical selections could be top notch original pieces by themselves. How they are mashed together and the design elements utilized will determine how successful they are. Like someone else alluded to, another corps is already doing a similar theme (women) and they have had considerably more success the last 20+ years than Regiment.

I like the rep quite a bit. But I don't especially like the brass band selection. The stuff that Crown et al. (and now Academy) has chosen has a lot more melody than the tune Regiment chose - seems more like notes for notes sake.

10 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

Whatever, they have their work cut out for them in my opinion. Their last attempt at “female empowerment” had the gals going on a shopping spree. 

Well at least you don’t consider 2017 their last attempt at female empowerment!🙂

Though I would consider Joan of Arc an empowered woman, I’m not sure I would consider her story as one of female empowerment. Fidelity to a call, bravery, honesty, and courage are all important aspects of her story. My hope is they do not try and squeeze 2013’s Triumphant Journey into a tale of Joan of a Arc.

• Like 1