The Cadets 2019

2 minutes ago, PamahoNow said:

I'm pretty sure that their good intentions (to tell an important story) could be better handled with an essay or short story (or novel for that matter). But not in a 12 minute Drum and Bugle Show.  Stories are hard to tell and almost impossible to do in a D&B show.  It can be done, but it is difficult.  Crown did it very well in Relentless.  But there are more fails than successes.

Oh, yeah, have to mention my favorite story show "Drum Corpse Bride".  Easy for everyone to follow. ... but we all knew the story already.

That’s not what I meant. I meant the role of designing not shoving a message down our throats. The message is trite and moronic. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Den8uml said:

The Cadets are only 2 points down from last year at the same show.  That’s not good, but if you think that is the sky falling what do think about Madison!?

This is what we all call "deflection".

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Den8uml said:

The Cadets are only 2 points down from last year at the same show.  That’s not good, but if you think that is the sky falling what do think about Madison!?

I think Madison is in an even tougher position. Is this a trick question? 

Two points is an entire competitive tier. And the corps behind them are closer to them than they are to the corps ahead. The caption scores suggest they could possibly fall behind Mandarins, Crossmen and perhaps fall out of finals. This is a real possibility. Percussion caption will probably keep that from happening but we need to be realistic 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, George Dixon said:

That’s not what I meant. I meant the role of designing not shoving a message down our throats. The message is trite and moronic. 

I don't think the message is either trite or moronic.  I think Darcie's message that she wanted to get across is important, even today.  

But I agree with you that designing a D&B show is not shoving a message down anyones throat.  

3 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

It’s also extremely presumptuous. It isn’t delivered with any kind of empathy. You don’t get the message and you wonder why in the heck a drum corps felt we wanted to see a 12 minute show about it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PamahoNow said:

I don't think the message is either trite or moronic.  I think Darcie's message that she wanted to get across is important, even today.  

But I agree with you that designing a D&B show is not shoving a message down anyones throat.  

Oh I agree - it is just about as sophisticated as an elementary school play 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ykw said:

Found this in my email box this morning -- this is what I call deflection

https://yea.org/cadets/join

4m3Qxjj.jpg

Hope you sent your RSVP in.  Qualified or not.  They invited you to join after all.  It is only polite.