2019 Predictions!

10 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I would love to see them in the top 3. I love when things get mixed up in the standings. I love when a new corps makes the top 5, 3 or wins for the first time. It makes this activity so exciting. They were the most exciting thing about the 2000, for me. It was really fun to see them burst into the top 5 with such a beautiful show. No doubt, their future is very bright.

Some people do seem to be thin skinned about the thought of Boston medaling, unlike others who aren’t the least bit concerned. 

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Yes, exactly. Boston's rise was helped (read helped, it's not the only reason) by the inconsistencies in the corps that placed 6th and lower in 2016. Their rise was remarkable, no one is denying that. But, they passed up corps who had perhaps multiple weaknesses. BD and SCV have none. Bluecoats and Crown have few. It's going to be a lot harder to pass up those four than it was to pass up those they flew by in 2017.

Look at the history of our 3 most recent non-BD champions and tell me their rises were swift and sudden. You can't. They all experienced ups and downs, and growing pains along the way. It wasn't a smooth ride for any of them and it's not going to be for Boston either. 

I feel Crown found themselves in 2nd place rather quickly in 09 (6th in 07, 4th in 08)...and that was in a time where the only corps with medals already had at least one ring.

It's not out of reach. I have them slotted at 3rd in preseason

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Some people do seem to be thin skinned about the thought of Boston medaling, unlike others who aren’t the least bit concerned. 

Maybe. I'm more of a fan of the activity as a whole now than a specific corps (SCV excluded - I want them to win every year), so although I will be disappointed from time to time about where someone finishes, and has really freed me to enjoy the entire activity and be a general fan. Last year I was all about SCV and Blue Stars, this year, I really like Mandarins and Crown (and they are the only two full shows I've seen on video), so we'll see who else I root for this year.

Edited by queenanne_1536

7 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Meh.  Who cares about DCP.  

What most here seem to ignore:

What a FANTASTIC ride for the members 🙂   Those kids at Boston are having the time of their lives.  

Edited by karuna
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ThePlanets said:

I feel Crown found themselves in 2nd place rather quickly in 09 (6th in 07, 4th in 08)...and that was in a time where the only corps with medals already had at least one ring.

Yeah, they went from 8th, to 6th, to 4th, to 2nd really quickly. But what a show that 2008 show was. It was thrilling for them this year. I wish Boston the best. I would love for them to place in the top 3. I'll be glad to eat crow if that happens.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

While this is true, Cadets didn't have the best show that year and the Cavaliers, while having a great show, did have some design flaws. Crown didn't exactly come out of nowhere either, did they? 

2002 - 16th

2003 - 10th

2004 - 7th 

2005 - 7th

2006 - 8th

2007 - 6th

2008 - 4th

2009 - 2nd

It was still another 4 years before they saw gold. "You have to fall before you fly", and they did just that. Not every situation is going to be the same, and everyone trying to say well this corps did it and this corps did it, it doesn't work like that.

Could Boston do it, yes.

Will they do it this year, who knows.

Is it probable, no. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, queenanne_1536 said:

What about Boston? Yes, the stars aligned to boost them from 12th to 6th (that rarely ever happens today). I admit I didn't think that was going to happen it did. But, and it's a big but, the move from 5th to 3rd to 2nd to 1st is going to be A LOT harder than the move from 12th to 6th was. 

The designers on Boston's team have all enjoyed Championship success in other corps. The Potter/May/Townsend Crew from Pride, Crown. And Gino and Colin from Cadets.

SCV's Recent success can be attributed to the Arrival of Michael Gaines on their design team. And in the course of two years went from perennial top 6 to winning. All because of one change. A Designer who knows what it takes to win. Boston has that now, So while the corps itself is trotting into uncharted waters, The design team is right at home at the top of the activity. 

SCV 2016 - 4th

SCV 2017 - 2nd

SCV 2018 - 1st

I know that many that argue against BAC's Success, and their unlikely-ness for it to continue into the top of the activity, point to the hardships that Crown and Bluecoats took to build up their own design teams to learn to win, Kinda like Earning your stripes. But Boston's design team has already earned their stripes. They know what a GE Visual judge(for example) will reward for content and achievement, they can troubleshoot ideas in their initial design meetings to get the best first draft possible on the field in ST.

And we all know that any given year with the way that the talent is at the top of the activity, The best show is what gets rewarded.

And my point is that having seen Boston's show, they got a show this year. It might not happen every year, but this year, they have a show. Just like Crown struck gold with E=MC2 and Bluecoats struck Gold with Down Side up. It takes a special effort from a design team to move you into new ground as a corps. And they have done it.

They are going to be asking legitimate questions from the judges this year. And it will start on Thursday.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

While this is true, Cadets didn't have the best show that year and the Cavaliers, while having a great show, did have some design flaws. Crown didn't exactly come out of nowhere either, did they? 

2002 - 16th

2003 - 10th

2004 - 7th 

2005 - 7th

2006 - 8th

2007 - 6th

2008 - 4th

2009 - 2nd

It was still another 4 years before they saw gold. "You have to fall before you fly", and they did just that. Not every situation is going to be the same, and everyone trying to say well this corps did it and this corps did it, it doesn't work like that.

Could Boston do it, yes.

Will they do it this year, who knows.

Is it probable, no. 

True but Boston has been in the 6-12 loop for many years with BK...which is why I didn't quote previous to 2007 for Crown.

It's very hard to crack the top 6 which they did 2 years ago- and it wasn't just because other corps were having down years.  Boston has made the staffing changes to move up and they have 2 years of working together and member recruitment under their belts.

While BK is one of my favorite corps they haven't made the staffing changes to make a run for a medal.

Edited by ThePlanets

21 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

However bright their future is, they have to figure out the formula first.

Crown did (10 years). 

Bluecoats did (9 years).

Vanguard did (10 years).

Boston hasn't figured out the formula, but rather put out another show that is almost identical in style and theme as the last two years. That will make you stay stagnant and/or fall back. You have to take risks, and if I'm being honest there are no risks being took in this Boston show.

Crown took a huge risk musically in 2013.

Bluecoats took a huge risk design wise with their slides in 2016.

SCV took huge risk design wise with their uniforms and their visual design last year.

In order to beat the Blue Devils, you have to take risks. You have to, as a design team, lay it all out and as a corps floor it. The corps may be flooring it, but I think the design team has let the corps down with this years show. That's not to say it's bad, but it's not a championship or even top 3 show.

Let the hating commence.

I've only heard BAC's standstill and I liked what I heard. They sounded great - but all the top corps sound great standing still. I will reserve judgement on the visual design until I see it. But you have illustrated my point exactly. It took Crown, Bluecoats, and Vanguard a decade each to get there, and they all took risks to do it. I think people expecting that for Boston this year may be only setting themselves up to be disappointed.

BD has placed in the top 2 every year starting in 2007. Will they fall out? Yes, of course. Will it be this year? Who knows. Vanguard donated the captions at finals last year in a way no corps other than BD has done since 2005. That leads me to believe Vanguard will join BD in the top 2. That leaves one spot. I've seen Crown. I have no doubt they will be vying for a top 3 finish. Then we have Bluecoats. Then we have Cavaliers. So between many of us we have six corps that are all going to place in the top 3. Well, that can't happen, so most of us are wrong. I'll place my bets on BD and SCV being joined either by Bluecoats or Crown in that top 3.

4 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

The designers on Boston's team have all enjoyed Championship success in other corps. The Potter/May/Townsend Crew from Pride, Crown. And Gino and Colin from Cadets.

SCV's Recent success can be attributed to the Arrival of Michael Gaines on their design team. And in the course of two years went from perennial top 6 to winning. All because of one change. A Designer who knows what it takes to win. Boston has that now, So while the corps itself is trotting into uncharted waters, The design team is right at home at the top of the activity. 

SCV 2016 - 4th

SCV 2017 - 2nd

SCV 2018 - 1st

I know that many that argue against BAC's Success, and their unlikely-ness for it to continue into the top of the activity, point to the hardships that Crown and Bluecoats took to build up their own design teams to learn to win, Kinda like Earning your stripes. But Boston's design team has already earned their stripes. They know what a GE Visual judge(for example) will reward for content and achievement, they can troubleshoot ideas in their initial design meetings to get the best first draft possible on the field in ST.

And we all know that any given year with the way that the talent is at the top of the activity, The best show is what gets rewarded.

And my point is that having seen Boston's show, they got a show this year. It might not happen every year, but this year, they have a show. Just like Crown struck gold with E=MC2 and Bluecoats struck Gold with Down Side up. It takes a special effort from a design team to move you into new ground as a corps. And they have done it.

They are going to be asking legitimate questions from the judges this year. And it will start on Thursday.

SCV's success last year was not based on one change. One person cannot bring you a championship. It takes a team. SCV started acquiring the pieces of that team in 2008. Of course, Gaines is a huge asset, but their staff is full of assets who contributed equally to their success. SCV rejoined the top 5 (right where Boston is now) in 2009. It wasn't until 2017 that they placed top 3. It's great that many on Boston's staff have had championship success, but they haven't had it together - as one unit. 

You think Boston's got the show this year. I think Crown has the show this year. Others think Cavies do. Others think Bloo does. We all know BD does. Vanguard probably does. There's not enough room in the top 3, 4 or 5 for all of them.

• Like 1