A Message from DCI CEO Dan Acheson

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Thinking the legal and public relation ramifications of telling/not telling members there is someone with a record being given a second chance.

It all depends on the reason for the second chance. When it comes to sexual misconduct, drum corps should follow the policies of school systems and colleges which would be no second chance. I would also say no second chance for drivers who have had a DUI conviction.  We also need to remember that in these cases giving someone a second chance can make things worse. When it comes to second chances, if a second chance is warranted, looking at whether it is in that person’s best interest is critical. 

Second chances can work, but should never be given when endangerment is a possibility and exercising caution is always a good idea. A friend who has managed supermarkets for a large chain has caught employees with their hands in the till. He has offered some a second chance which has worked, but they do not handle cash. Another example is Home Depot. Home Depot does hire people who have spent time in jail, usually for theft, burglary, or drug offenses, and never sexual based crimes or attempted murder. They will give them jobs, but it is not a job in customer service and in recent years, have made sure people with records do not do delivery work or installations in people’s homes. 

Agreed Tim, I should have specified that I was only talking about sexual harassment/assault type cases. Was going to say cases involving minors but think by law those people cannot be near minors.

And not sure if non-Meghan list type criminal records are allowed to be broadcast in the open. If needed for background checks yes, but not sure if a corps can tell all the parents without the persons permission.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

17 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Facebook ? My goodness. 'Talk about " the pot calling the kettle black ". Their Company executives at the highest levels certainly do not have clean hands themselves here when it comes to attempts to manipulate political elections. What is happening to DCI has virtually nothing at all to do with election interference, real or imagined. I don't see anything to connect, nor link the two here at all, frankly. Besides, imo, the best thing that DCI could do to " look better ", is to simply tell the truth, early and often .. and tell openly what they knew and when they knew it. If DCI or any social media outlet is primarily interested in how they are perceived,  or asking themselves " who can we spread rumors about " as some sort of devious defensive or vengeful strategy, then they are likely headed down the wrong path.  They'd be missing the time honored tradition that telling the truth and being upfront and transparent is the best long term successful strategy for ethical organizations to take in a free society and has been since the birth of the Republic.

Again I say - DCP needs a 'duh' button

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Is there a website / database that keeps track of suspended teaching licenses? 

Someone posted the PA site which was interesting. Noticed it had when a suspension was given and when it was over. IOW it didn't clear out the suspension info after it was served.

8 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I don’t know of any data base or website, which is not to say there is not one, but I know in Massachusetts, certifications expire and there is a number you can call to determine whether a certification has not been renewed due to not enough PPI’s (workshops and educational opportunities to keep a certification current). Then it is up to the person to explain why they are no longer certified. You may learn if the certification has been suspended (no one I have hired has ever had their certification suspended) but my guess would be, they can inform you of a suspension but cannot tell you why, and certifications and licenses can be suspended for all sorts of reasons, some not criminal. Another thing we need to keep in mind is that some states allow teachers to teach temporarily with waivers and many of the people associated with drum corps who “teach” bands, and I’m thinking of the color guard instructors, visual folks, percussion folks, etc.,  are not classroom teachers or band directors. They would be the equivalent of a coach/assistant coach or an aide and would not need to be certified. I know of kids who have marched drum corps in the summer and will say they “teach” at a high school. They are still in college many times, and they may teach skills and have a lifetime impact, but as far as that school district is concerned, they are assistants or volunteers, no certification is needed. 

However, we are forgetting a huge point. The people who have been questionable or bad hires did not slip through the cracks or were hired by people who did not check their background. They were known to the people who hired them and so were their pasts. The problem is, for lack of a better expression, the old boys network, not less than thorough background checks.

13 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I don’t know of any data base or website, which is not to say there is not one, but I know in Massachusetts, certifications expire and there is a number you can call to determine whether a certification has not been renewed due to not enough PPI’s (workshops and educational opportunities to keep a certification current). Then it is up to the person to explain why they are no longer certified. You may learn if the certification has been suspended (no one I have hired has ever had their certification suspended) but my guess would be, they can inform you of a suspension but cannot tell you why, and certifications and licenses can be suspended for all sorts of reasons, some not criminal. Another thing we need to keep in mind is that some states allow teachers to teach temporarily with waivers and many of the people associated with drum corps who “teach” bands, and I’m thinking of the color guard instructors, visual folks, percussion folks, etc.,  are not classroom teachers or band directors. They would be the equivalent of a coach/assistant coach or an aide and would not need to be certified. I know of kids who have marched drum corps in the summer and will say they “teach” at a high school. They are still in college many times, and they may teach skills and have a lifetime impact, but as far as that school district is concerned, they are assistants or volunteers, no certification is needed. 

However, we are forgetting a huge point. The people who have been questionable or bad hires did not slip through the cracks or were hired by people who did not check their background. They were known to the people who hired them and so were their pasts. The problem is, for lack of a better expression, the old boys network, not less than thorough background checks.

Also, I think it's reflective of a change in societal norms.  It's no longer acceptable for the convicted to have an avenue back into the activity via the "old boys network".

7 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

It varies by state, but here's an article that provides a state-by-state listing of searchable lists for credentials and in some instances disciplinary actions.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/02/13/state-teacher-background-lookup-resources/80355350/

14 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Forgot about Kilties. Has anything legal hit the bricks anywhere yet? Thinking someone going after a corps for failure to protect members.

The one young man at Pioneer who ended up hospitalized might have grounds. Whether they pursue them is their personal choice, which I respect.

• Like 1