“Failure to Protect”

Unless anyone has any info that DCI is planning to ask for passwords or ask for private info then that discussion is not for this thread. Let’s stick to what is in DCIs  plans and not go on tangents that sound like DCI is asking for things they are not

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Stu said:

Within the The Essential Issue thread he also stated, "Privacy is only there to protect the guilty." I responded that people who subsribe to that notion frighten me to my soul. People with that mindset are more than willing to attack the unalienable rights of the innocent without due process under the pretense of a false sense of security.

This X1000.  Wars have been fought over this.  To so casually state this without truly thinking about the ramifications it represents SHOULD chill everyone with a brain and knowledge of history.  I sure hope the majority of people here don't truly believe this nonsense.  If so, drum corps is the least of our worries.

10 hours ago, Bluzes said:

It's not a belief like I said we don't know, yet. So I researched this online found out that it is a State by State issue. So here is what giving up your passwords for dummies says.

The first widely publicized case of an employer asking an employee to hand over his social media password happened in Maryland. In 2011, state Department of Corrections employee Robert Collins went to his recertification interview, where he was asked to provide his Facebook password. According to news reports, Collins then had to sit there while his interviewer scrolled through online posts by his friends and family, apparently looking for anything that might conflict with his duties as a corrections officer. It would be remised if I didn't mention that Maryland has now passed a law where this is not required, to BRASSO's point.

Since Maryland passed its law in 2012, many other states have followed suit. Nearly half of the states (including California, Virginia, and Illinois) now protect applicants and employees from having to provide social media passwords to employers or otherwise give employers access to their accounts. More states consider passing these laws each year.
Companies in Maryland still ask for them and you sign your rights away in the employment offer. Say no to a big promotion if you will but someone else equally qualified that complies gets the job. This is too much fun because then BRASSO would be working for me.

Anyone that voluntarily releases their personal passwords to an employer, so they can snoop on their off duty activities and secures the position over another applicant that chooses not to give such away, deserves to work for such a snoopy, busybody, employer, imo. There are plenty of employers out there that do not engage in such intrusive invasions of one's privacy. I would never consider working for such an employer, even if desperate for a job. Some things are just too precious for a citizen to voluntarily have to give up. But hey, if you would want to work in these types of privacy invasive and hostile environments, or engage in these types of snooping activities on the private, personal, off duty activities as a supervisor there, good luck to you. I would not work for you in a million years, bluzes. If called upon, I would not hire you either given your support for such draconian measures on your fellow " innocents" invasions of their personal, off duty, privacy. I would consider it a disqualifyer of your application for a position in any firm I worked in. If my firm decided to engage in these privacy invasive practices, I would resign and move on to a more suitable employer ( or become self employed, and start my own firm. )

Anyway, for the record, so we don't drift further away from the topic here...there is no info at the moment that DCI HQ is about to engage in these extremist measures in order to protect and enhance the safety of the MM's environment while doing DCI Drum Corps. Nor are these extremist and radical measures you've highlighted here necessary either in order to provide better MM safety moving forward, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

11 hours ago, Bluzes said:

And either am I. It's a discussion dci did mention that online reviews were part of the plan. Neither of us knows what that entails. I researched the topic and have personal experience on what this could mean. You are telling me to duck my head in the sand and ignore dci's online review comment like it's not there but it is BRASSO.

Many employers now sniff around an applicants social media. It’s basically a way to see if they are getting a problem child in terms of temperament and disposition 

11 hours ago, FTNK said:

What are the chances the powers that be just ignore it, don’t discuss it, act like everything is business as usual and stick their heads in the sand?

Oh I doubt it. They know the world is watching 

Employees and potential applicants to that employer are adroit at watching how firms treat their employees. The observation is done legally. Firms ( and Corps ) that have hostile environmments with " the innocents " and yet harbor and coddle the people with bad records, will ultimately find its their undoing.

Edited by BRASSO

45 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Anyway, for the record, so we don't drift further away from the topic here...there is no info at the moment that DCI HQ is about to engage in these extremist measures in order to protect and enhance the safety of the MM's environment while doing DCI Drum Corps. Nor are these extremist and radical measures you've highlighted here necessary either in order to provide better MM safety moving forward, imo.

The point is this is a reality (happening today) for high profile jobs. I personally would not want to see an up and coming staff member be put thru this, but it's not about what either of us wants or believes. Let s take out any references to passwords and ask what dci intends to do in support of their comment about online reviews. What do job applicants need to do know, how to prepare themselves for such vetting procedures so we keep these wonderful folks in the activity? We turn to the internet for advice on many topics here is what it says about online reviews.

Recruiting platform Jobvite has released the 2014 edition of its annual Social Recruiting Survey, and the results might be disconcerting to those who tweet first and ask questions later. The data shows 93% of hiring managers will review a candidate’s social profile before making a hiring decision.

Some HR Departments only review public information, and only the information the candidate has created themselves, others do not make such a distinction. Everyone has two online presences: one you control and one you do not. Case in point thinking I am a horrible person for my posts when I am not. I throw things out there for discussion some may be uncomfortable and not things I believe in myself but are realities going on around us.

Employers wonder why no search results come back when the norm is to have some. Employers can use this insight during a job interview to simply find out why." 

To conclude dci wanting to do this falls in line with hiring practices in use today. Advice to potential staff members and job applicants, in general, is to become familiar with your online footprint. Look for cross-pollination of friends on Linkedin and FB. Pictures on your or your friends FB that could be misinterpreted, drinking or innocent photos of hugging your niece.   

27 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

The point is this is a reality (happening today) for high profile jobs. I personally would not want to see an up and coming staff member be put thru this, but it's not about what either of us wants or believes. Let s take out any references to passwords and ask what dci intends to do in support of their comment about online reviews. What do job applicants need to do know, how to prepare themselves for such vetting procedures so we keep these wonderful folks in the activity? We turn to the internet for advice on many topics here is what it says about online reviews.

Recruiting platform Jobvite has released the 2014 edition of its annual Social Recruiting Survey, and the results might be disconcerting to those who tweet first and ask questions later. The data shows 93% of hiring managers will review a candidate’s social profile before making a hiring decision.

Some HR Departments only review public information, and only the information the candidate has created themselves, others do not make such a distinction. Everyone has two online presences: one you control and one you do not. Case in point thinking I am a horrible person for my posts when I am not. I throw things out there for discussion some may be uncomfortable and not things I believe in myself but are realities going on around us.

Employers wonder why no search results come back when the norm is to have some. Employers can use this insight during a job interview to simply find out why." 

To conclude dci wanting to do this falls in line with hiring practices in use today. Advice to potential staff members and job applicants, in general, is to become familiar with your online footprint. Look for cross-pollination of friends on Linkedin and FB. Pictures on your or your friends FB that could be misinterpreted, drinking or innocent photos of hugging your niece.   

Here is a suggestion... why not wait until its clear what DCI HQ intends to do,  instead of any of us here attempting to decipher what a line in their press release we think might mean ?   I really don't think that applicants for future positions in DCI have to be concerned with pictures on social media of them " hugging their neice " and similar. I mean, lets not be silly here, nor go overboard in worrying about such inconsequential stuff. DCI currently had (  or  still has ) a problem with people with known and verifiable inappropriate contact and bad behaviors with minors and other young adults where they abused their trusted positions, and their enablers, apparently finding a safe haven in DCI. That should be the focus here, imo.  The " innocents " that have social media innocent pictures of themselves " hugging their neice " and so forth have virtually nothing to worry about here, imo.  Such attempts at distractionary and irrelevant concerns do not advance the discussion here on how to handle the problem people and their enablers, imo. The " innocents" have little to worry about, imo. and they're not" standing in the way " of better safety implementations for MM's either. Get a grip, Man..

Edited by BRASSO
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Get a grip, Man

Great I will get a grip. I will totally ignore the gaping hole, Fred created in the vetting process, that others may use these services to find employment in drum corps. I will ignore that the school districts just push these individuals out the door making dci a last resort to continue their livelihood, that dci should not use these same resources to help protect the kids. That comments in their press releases should not be open for discussion. That posters on DCP need to join the hive so not to be attacked,