What happened to Madison?

53 minutes ago, Gantang said:

The Blue Stars were once sponsored by a bank, Pioneer by a cardboard manufacturer, and a few other corps have had corporate sponsorship, but to say the activity is a niche market is to be generous in its popularity. No prudent CMO would allocate marketing dollars on an activity that would bring no ROI. Corps will always be primarily self funded.

Star of Indiana had a major Sugar Daddy

• Like 2

Woes are tied to staff and member churn -- how do successful corps develop a culture where everyone wants to come back? It's not just winning -- it's team chemistry -- Madison and PR have a chemi problem -- members and staff are not staying bc they are not valued? Is it just to chase a ring?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Lol are you serious? A vast majority of college sports do not generate any revenue whatsoever. Many D1 Basketball programs are barely generating enough revenue to keep the programs afloat. 

Remember when University of Maryland, after being a founder member of the ACC, migrated to the Big 10? Let's just say that it wasn't so that the school would have a change of scenery 

Some college sports do generate considerable income.

I am an LSU grad, so I know a bit of what I am talking about.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Some college sports do generate considerable income.

I am an LSU grad, so I know a bit of what I am talking about.  

Did I say none of them do?  

3 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I said "Some"

The point of what I said was that a vast majority of D1 major sports and major programs in general do not make very much revenue at all. 

As you pointed out, there are a select few powerhouse programs that do generate a significant amount of revenue for the school, but for every Alabama football or Kentucky basketball program, there are dozens of D1 schools barely making money off of their sports, even the revenue ones (Football and basketball)

2 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

The point of what I said was that a vast majority of D1 major sports and major programs in general do not make very much revenue at all. 

As you pointed out, there are a select few powerhouse programs that do generate a significant amount of revenue for the school, but for every Alabama football or Kentucky basketball program, there are dozens of D1 schools barely making money off of their sports, even the revenue ones (Football and basketball)

And your reply ILC? 😂

1 hour ago, bayareafan said:

As simply a fan it’s been frustrating to watch Madison decline.  

From watching what’s happened with staff and the reaction of alumni that financially support the corps I’d say there is a big problem with staffing. In particular I think Madison became too insular. They have insisted on hiring staff that in most cases are former scouts. They seem to do this because they look back at years like ‘95 and say that they need to do that again. That’s one of my favorite shows ever, but you know times change. At this point honestly they have to stop living in the past and hire staff with experience teaching other successful corps. Hire some of the younger hungry staff members at BD, Crown, Bluecoats, etc. Get entirely new staff that has experienced the way successful modern corps run their organizations, create their shows, etc.  They need to learn from others how to be relevant and successful in today’s version of the activity. 

That practice for staff ended with Scott Stewart. Since he left, less than half, and in many years roughly 10-15% of the staff have been alums.