Open Innovation and The Cadets

I can tell you first hand that the alumni are engaged like never before.  Not just giving money and volunteering, but soliciting input and ideas for the organization's future.

Last February YEA held an alumni summit, inviting alumni of all eras to spend the weekend discussing the corps situation, and what steps need to be taken.  Out if this came teams of alumni assigned to specific areas, and asked to come up with concrete projects.  (I'm personally involved with long range planning.)  The alumni are gelling unlike any other time I've seen sin e aging out in '88.

Through this I've been able to spend some time with Vicki, Scott and Doug, and I have every confidence in their capabilities and commitment. 

10 minutes ago, StuStu said:

I can tell you first hand that the alumni are engaged like never before.  Not just giving money and volunteering, but soliciting input and ideas for the organization's future.

Last February YEA held an alumni summit, inviting alumni of all eras to spend the weekend discussing the corps situation, and what steps need to be taken.  Out if this came teams of alumni assigned to specific areas, and asked to come up with concrete projects.  (I'm personally involved with long range planning.)  The alumni are gelling unlike any other time I've seen sin e aging out in '88.

Through this I've been able to spend some time with Vicki, Scott and Doug, and I have every confidence in their capabilities and commitment. 

Great to hear. As a fan/donor I feel the same. Much more engagement & a more "welcoming" vibe from the corps and the staff

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

Great to hear. As a fan/donor I feel the same. Much more engagement & a more "welcoming" vibe from the corps and the staff

I’m all for the idea but can’t imagine that the bourgeoisie would allow the unwashed rabble hoi polloi to be included in any of their design decisions. Especially when you’re not on the payroll. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Really excellent post at the top! As the CEO of a start up, I am actually going to print it and be a little more agressive in instituting some of the concepts you have outlined. I agree in motivation/empowerment/control-change in one;s own job environment but your post is even more searing and on target.

As far as the Cadets, you make some key points. The mantle of past victimhood is on the diminishing returns side. And, in what is a good thing, the Cadets HAVE hit rock bottom. Achieving the future energy of true embracement of inclusion is a skill I would be stunned if the Cadets leadership could truly pull off, despite very excellent sincerity and effort. Maybe they should "hire " you as an outside/inside consultant.

I suspect the need for the Cadets includes an energized staff full of ideas with a director that is more of a skilled organizational psychologist of sorts than skills of a band director; someone who knows how to draw out talent and fit the pieces in a comfortable way for all, so that latent skills are maximized and very learns from everyone else and actually listens.

There are many ideas regarding leadership/membership ideal chacteristics and someone really needs to evaluate these type of things formally and via objective process. It is easy to say the whole is greater than the sum of the parts but much harder to move the organizational bell curve to the right as a unit. Why? Because the dots on the inside of the curve need to move together.

Thanks for the free consult. BTW- you get bonus points for being an 87Cadet...oh that show... so....perfect.

5 hours ago, rysa4 said:

As far as the Cadets, you make some key points. The mantle of past victimhood is on the diminishing returns side. And, in what is a good thing, the Cadets HAVE hit rock bottom.

"Rock bottom" is,to me,a relative term.

At this time:

1.The Cadets are still able to draw top talent,especially in percussion.

2.As far as I know,they had no problem filling all their "slots"

3.They are most likely going to make Finals.

4.They are apparently dealing with their financial issues.

Are they close to the level they were once were?  No.

Do they still have a lot of issues to deal with ? Yes.

But,they still could fall much further down.

As I look at it,if this is "rock bottom", where  is Madison ?

Edited by rpbobcat

8 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

THAT'S THE SPIRIT!

I just don't understand why this can't go in the normal Cadets thread. If I were admin I'd close and merge with the other thread but I'm not so my only recourse is to complain. LOL

ETA: I didn't even comment on how lame an idea it is to get alumni and fans to help formulate the show concept for next year. If you want to see basically how that works in the activity see Scouts 2019.

Edited by Spatzzz

3 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

I just don't understand why this can't go in the normal Cadets thread. If I were admin I'd close and merge with the other thread but I'm not so my only recourse is to complain. LOL

Question is why this thread ires you so and why you feel compelled to throw a verbal tantrum by participating in the thread? By-passing the thread is also an option, one you chose not to take.  The OP took a bit more time to reflect, contribute, and consider the future of the organization.  As the Madison thread has shown, sorting future questions from season 2019 can be a bit muddled on DCP.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Question is why this thread ires you so and why you feel compelled to throw a verbal tantrum by participating in the thread? By-passing the thread is also an option, one you chose not to take.  The OP took a bit more time to reflect, contribute, and consider the future of the organization.  As the Madison thread has shown, sorting future questions from season 2019 can be a bit muddled on DCP.

You are right that I could have bypassed the thread. Fair point. I believe I also have a fair point that this discussion could take place in the thread about the 2019 Cadets. But by all means carry on.....

OP, I'm with you in spirit, except as any experienced entrepreneur will tell you, design-by-committee has never actually worked.

One person has got to be ultimately responsible for design. Suggestion box? Sure, but design-by-vote? Total disaster IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1