New Rule for the next conference

There are been so few examples of “live” vocalists done right that requiring them makes my ears pucker. The last thing I want to hear at a drum corps show is another amateurish attempt to copy an original artist rendition and doing it poorly.   

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

This is just a whole lot of whataboutism

what-ifism, maybe, but not whataboutism. Whataboutism is parrying a critique of your own position by holding up someone else as holding the same position. I'm not doing that here. You can call it a bunch of hypothetical nonsense, if you like. Because it is hypothetical. I don't think it's nonsense, however, to question whether there are sufficient guardrails in place to prevent runaway pre-recorded music in DCI.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

effect is only 40 points. thats the only place it would get love if nothing is going on around it

This is responsive to my question, thank you. It means that the freedom to use as much pre-recorded music as you want is kept in check only by the risk of losing points in the brass & perc subcaptions. Perhaps the corps -- the members who vote for this -- feel this tension is enough to keep recorded audio from running away with the shows. Perhaps they're right. Or, perhaps, they will be right only until the pre-recorded stuff gets so good and so compelling that the members will want to change the rules in such a way that diminishes or even eliminates this tension. The only real barrier to runaway pre-recorded music is the members' desire to keep this an activity whose primary mode is human-powered live musical performance.

So, the ultimate question: Do they have that desire?

and really the argument is this: DCI will pass what the corps want to pass. Fans complaints on DCP have never swayed them. The only reason WGI percussion still has the one sound one sound rule in effect is cause the guys that design shows for the websites have enough votes in their pocket to keep it from being changed. Why? It gets changed, they don't make as much money programming it all

This is not. I'm not contesting this point, and have no basis to disagree with you. 

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman

4 hours ago, E3D said:

WGI. That appears to be what everyone wants. 

I was going to say that this is were it will end up. For sure the train has left the station. 

And that's fine, if that's what the current generation of fans wants. They're the ones paying the freight.

Not necessarily my complete cup of tea anymore... but it's a different world now.  I promise that even if I get to the point where I walk away for the most part, I will not be one of those "old man yells at cloud" folks like some on those FB groups.  :laughing: Those #### people wear me out.  LOL.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

And that's fine, if that's what the current generation of fans wants. They're the ones paying the freight.

Not necessarily my complete cup of tea anymore... but it's a different world now.  I promise that even if I get to the point where I walk away for the most part, I will not be one of those "old man yells at cloud" folks like some on those FB groups.  :laughing: Those #### people wear me out.  LOL.

Yep if I’m not interested I don’t go. But I’ll go quietly. And as people get older their tastes and interests change. Add that to changes in things you used to follow and things can get dropped and you don’t really miss them after a while

Just thinking how I’d couldn’t wait to go to a hockey game live and that’s what was on tv almost every night during the season. Haven’t watched an entire game in years....

If changes  to DC activity help keep a fan base to keep the activity alive more power to them. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

If changes  to DC activity help keep a fan base to keep the activity alive more power to them.

Well said. That's the bottom line, right there.

Similar to what you've said... I used to follow the NBA on a regular basis... now, barely at all.  Used to be follow pro football as much as I did college...  now I'm all in on the college game, and not much, if at all, with the NFL.

Stuff happens.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Well said. That's the bottom line, right there.

Similar to what you've said... I used to follow the NBA on a regular basis... now, barely at all.  Used to be follow pro football as much as I did college...  now I'm all in on the college game, and not much, if at all, with the NFL.

Stuff happens.

Same here with NBA and college basketball now don’t follow either one. Watching NBA and NFL on Sunday afternoon used to be a tradition. Now no NBA and NFL is on as background noise while I do other things. If something happens there is instant replay and DVR machine. 

What helps me is hearing “that ain’t drum corps” back in 1975 from the older folks. Now I’m older than they were then and figure just continuing changes over the decades

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

What helps me is hearing “that ain’t drum corps” back in 1975 from the older folks. Now I’m older than they were then and figure just continuing changes over the decades

Heard it as well... my first year marching, 1971. The so-called "Year That Drum Corps Died."  LOL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, E3D said:

Were you able to see the new show ending with Bluecoats? Did they add 2 or 4 new amps? :dancin:

no new amps