Buffalo, NY (Drums Along the Waterfront) - August 4, 2019

41 minutes ago, karuna said:

Karuna, you are under the false impression that the Boston alumni focus on scores alone.  We couldn't possibly have survived 80 years if we did.  Yes, we will medal and win someday, but the scores from the last two shows don't diminish at all the trajectory of the corps.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Forevergreen said:

Bostonians are passionate people- even when it comes to aggressive driving OR shoveling their car out of a parking space from a big snowstorm and then thinking they own that parking space from here to kingdom come.   🤣🤣🤣

That’s called dibs in Chicago. You shovel out that space and put a lawn chair there, someone #### well better not park there.  😂  

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, craiga said:

Karuna, you are under the false impression that the Boston alumni focus on scores alone.  We couldn't possibly have survived 80 years if we did.  Yes, we will medal and win someday, but the scores from the last two shows don't diminish at all the trajectory of the corps.

On 6/11/2019 at 2:30 PM, craiga said:

So, a few words in defense of myself with regard to hype or not.  When I spent time with BAC at move ins in 2017, I posted on DCP that they were so good I could see them coming in 6th or 7th.  The collective wisdom here was that "no way...they came in 12th last August...etc".  Boston finished 6th in 2017.

When I visited last year, my reactions from the 2018 move in were that they might be as high as 4th or 5th.  This time, more people found that to be believable.  Boston finished 5th.

This year, my considered opinion is that they might very well win in Detroit and go on to medal in Indy.  

Clearly not focused on scores or placements.  Gotcha.   Sorry your earlier posts confused the issue. 

As I said earlier,  there's nothing more exciting for the performers than being on an elevator going up.  And the performers are awesome.  

But the ridiculous behavior of Boston-DCP posters has been .. erhmm... less than that.  "Oh we're not hyping.  We're destined to win."   Oh I could go on and on but there's no point to it as it's pretty clear you're all blind to your own behavior.  

Anyway congrats to the staff and performers at Boston.  They have been a class act and joy to watch.  

Edited by karuna
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Algernon said:

But the reality is the percussion scores will keep them from placing higher than 6th.

Not the kids fault, but certainly some bad decisions by high priced staff - go with 10 snares, write a book that's insanely difficult, not set them up for success with staging 

In competition, you have to take risks. Going with ten snares and a more difficult book were risks. Yes percussion scores are hurting them, but suggestions from DCP have included major rewrites of the percussion book which would have been a risk too, or eliminating some of the snares and that would have killed morale. 

Crown’s GE numbers are maybe a bigger head scratcher than BAC’s percussion.  I’m not commenting on the quality of anyone just the judge’s numbers.  Crown didn’t make significant changes to their show nor did they  perform much better because they were already outstanding.  But somehow their GE scores flew up over a point!  Seems off.  

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Tim K said:

In competition, you have to take risks. Going with ten snares and a more difficult book were risks. Yes percussion scores are hurting them, but suggestions from DCP have included major rewrites of the percussion book which would have been a risk too, or eliminating some of the snares and that would have killed morale. 

Agreed.  This is a situation where you've made your bed and you're darn well gonna lie in it until the season is over.  

Edited by karuna

20 minutes ago, Den8uml said:

Crown’s GE numbers are maybe a bigger head scratcher than BAC’s percussion.  I’m not commenting on the quality of anyone just the judge’s numbers.  Crown didn’t make significant changes to their show nor did they  perform much better because they were already outstanding.  But somehow their GE scores flew up over a point!  Seems off.  

Off?  How?  Clarity often brings things into focus and Crown has been cleaning.   No credit until it's clean is a mantra in every circuit, isn't it?  

Is it a conspiracy?  By whom?  

The public wants to know!  

Edited by karuna
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, karuna said:

Clearly not focused on scores or placements.  Gotcha.   Sorry your earlier posts confused the issue. 

As I said earlier,  there's nothing more exciting for the performers than being an elevator going up.  And the performers are awesome.  

But the ridiculous behavior of Boston-DCP posters has been .. erhmm... less then that.  "Oh we're not hyping.  We're destined to win."   Oh I could go on and on but there's no point to it as it's pretty clear you're all blind to your own behavior.  

Anyway congrats to the staff and performers at Boston.  They have been a class act and joy to watch.  

You're dressing me in borrowed robes.  I am not focused on scores or placements.  I have been around and part of the Boston Crusaders organization for 40 years this fall.  I was a die hard supporter even when we had 51 total members.  Don't conflate optimism with score or placement.  They are not the same.

And yes, I agree with you. This is the best Boston Crusaders corps in history.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, craiga said:

All season long, you have said “In Colin We Trust” but when it comes to all things BAC on DCP, it should be “In Craiga We Trust.” Good points here.

1 minute ago, craiga said:

You're dressing me in borrowed robes.  I am not focused on scores or placements.  I have been around and part of the Boston Crusaders organization for 40 years this fall.  I was a die hard supporter even when we had 51 total members.  Don't conflate optimism with score or placement.  They are not the same.

And yes, I agree with you. This is the best Boston Crusaders corps in history.

Boston is onto something special. Undoubtedly, they will be the next newest DCI champion I feel in the very near future.

• Like 4