What would you think if...

21 minutes ago, ftwdrummer said:

Point...

Why are we talking about "rumors of talking about how to do electronics right from previous Jannuals?"

We know that happened. They were very up-front about it. Particularly Michael Martin from Cavies, who was the one who proposed the rule to get rid of it. Damp Otter had a Field Pass about it at the time...don't have a chance to look it up right now because I'm at work and DCI's search function is non-ideal.

:spitting::laughing:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Depends which Corps is caught.  A Soundsport group with aspirations to Open class would be DQ'd, but a top 6 Corps would earn a 'wink-wink-nudge-nudge say no more'

Like they do with criticism earning a DQ vs sexual assault of members that earns at best lip service of a member safety policy.

It appears that there are different standards for different groups

<edit: snip, never mind> not true.

Sorry, not true anywhere.

Edited by garfield
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Where is that posted? OP asked a hypothetical question....

Relevant links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w3xvk710r8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q94LOJxfDZ0

Not finding the actual field pass about it yet--will try to find something.

Also: note that I wasn't talking about OP's post--more the rumor-mongering about having panels at the Jannuals to discuss it, which shouldn't have been rumors since we have confirmation of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ftwdrummer said:

Also: note that I wasn't talking about OP's post--more the rumor-mongering about having panels at the Jannuals to discuss it, which shouldn't have been rumors since we have confirmation of it.

Ok now I understand. I don’t follow DCI inside stuff outside of what I see in DCP.

3 minutes ago, ftwdrummer said:

Relevant links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w3xvk710r8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q94LOJxfDZ0

Not finding the actual field pass about it yet--will try to find something.

And the interview with Michael Martin that I was thinking of specifically: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb2cj1tLAII

9 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

So?

I would guess Bluecoats , then SCV, Blue Devils, Cavaliers, Crown, then Boston.

That order of use.   

I have it as Bluecoats, Crown,.. SCV,...... Bluedevils,..Cavaliers,.............. Boston.

With the spaces denoting the gaps of use of electronics and soundscapes and the like.. 

Crown is deceptively using a lot of electronics with their hornline.. They have shotgun mics strategically placed around the field to capture the hornline at just the right moments. My heart sank a bit when I realized that the Hit in the ballad and the immediate rush of volume during the hit was being done with assistance from the Mics that are on the stage, which they are aiming right into.

The Intro also has a mic on the 40 - 30 yard line (side 2) that is live and pumping the hornline for most that intro... Along with high octave female vocal patch that is quite noticeable live.. 

• Like 3

In the end this is the new normal, The hornlines are impeccable performing at levels not seen before in DCI. 

But it is being done in conjunction with Mics, and Pre-recording sampling, and Live Sampling. And Stereo/ echo effects of live sampling.

These are the rules and the ones that are winning are using the rules to their advantage.

That's why to me this year has got to be a wake up call to those that are not pushing the boundaries in this area. Because they are being left behind in the Music captions. Some investment has to be made and a fundamental understanding of these elements from a basic design function must be understood and implemented, or risk being left behind even more.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, One n Done said:

....you learned that a top 6 drum corps had wireless mic’s on over 30 of it’s brass players?  What about tempo remotely broadcast to in-ear units on performers in the field?

💲:giljotiini:

14 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

These are the rules and the ones that are winning are using the rules to their advantage.

That's why to me this year has got to be a wake up call to those that are not pushing the boundaries in this area. Because they are being left behind in the Music captions. Some investment has to be made and a fundamental understanding of these elements from a basic design function must be understood and implemented, or risk being left behind even more.

And those that don't have the $ in their budget like the top level corps will never catch up. 

A simple baseball analogy will suffice.  Back about a decade or so, The Milwaukee Brewers or Tampa Bay (Devil) Rays would have gladly taken on the New York Yankees for even "Salary vs. Salary"  I'm sure either team could easily have beat just "A-Rod" on the field.

Edited by Old Corps Guy
  • Like 1