Will DCA be around in 5 years?

Will DCA be around in 5 years?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Will DCA be around in 5 years?

• Yes
    • No

16 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Like many activities, businesses, and products, each has a shelf life! 

i have heard the new administration has studied it. but of course they inherited everything during a pandemic. so it may still be an option.

14 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Do you know what the average age is now of the corps you marched in? 

inactive since 2001. but it was young that year.

in 1990, bass 5 was ( and is) a mathematical genius. we fed him the age of everyone in the percussion section, and in oh 30 seconds he figured out the average was 20. If you kicked out 4 people ( sorry tenors), it was 17. I am pretty sure he did the entire corps once, and it was 21

13 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

The Labor Day weekend thing has definitely become more of an issue in recent years.

The plus side remains as it's always been... the extra day for travel (and to spread out the championship events) on the holiday weekend. The downside is as you and others have said... the school schedules affecting the corps' membership.

I have no answers... I'm at best marginally involved now, if even that. LOL. But I wish my friends,  and the corps, the best. 

are you announcing Kingston?

DCA has always been a self-serving organization. If you wanted to participate in DCA competition and you lived outside the Northeast of the country, you had two choices: 1: get in your vehicle and drive to a DCA member corps. 2: Join a senior corps that's not from the northeast of the country and roll the dice at prelims. Choice #2 was (with a couple of exceptions) always a disappointment. Case in point: Ohio Brass Factory Sr. corps from Alliance Ohio, 1980 to 1983. How much money did you want to spend chasing a slot on the night show? After a few seasons, you realized you were wasting your time and money. Choice# 1 was still expensive, commuting to the DCA member corps location, but your prospects for a rewarding season were better. That's the way it was when I was in the thick of it, commuting anywhere from 5 to 14 hours, one way.

Today, there's a DCA member corps 20 minutes from my driveway. The irony doesn't escape me, but I'm not a member. I'm not on the staff and I just retired from serving as a volunteer with them. I have health issues that make participating in any role, impossible. Moreover, I don't relate to the high school and college age kids that comprise the majority of the membership. The age gap is just too wide. I don't see interest today, from the 30 and 40-year-old DCI alumni that would raise the average age (and experience) of DCA corps membership. DCA will most likely find a way to perpetuate itself, but the product won't be (and isn't) what it used to be. Truth be told, I have little interest in what the product has become. That's because at this point in my life, my priorities have changed. That shouldn't be taken as a negative comment, or a verdict against current creative trends. 

Edited by hairbear
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, cmhs59 said:

DCA should have never gone to DCI "light".

Go back to three man squads.  Starting line and finish line.  Color Pre and concert.  Many more people would be able to march in such a corps.

Sorry--too late.

But would they want to? 

7 hours ago, cmhs59 said:

DCA should have never gone to DCI "light".

Go back to three man squads.  Starting line and finish line.  Color Pre and concert.  Many more people would be able to march in such a corps.

Sorry--too late.

that ship sailed 50 years ago......and DCA led the innovations then and DCI followed.

On 6/8/2022 at 11:13 PM, gunther said:

Labor Day weekend was not their original championship date but taken from the old Northeast Circuit. It was intended to weaken (kill) Northeast Circuit.

Having trouble believing this accusation.  Why would DCA have wanted to kill the Northeastern Circuit?

On 6/9/2022 at 11:25 AM, JimF-LowBari said:

From what I heard mid 70s some corps like Sky and Cabs had no one under 21. Of course there was a healthy Jr scene in that area and plenty of age outs.

Someone in Westshoremen said they were talking to someone from Cabs(?) at that time. Found out they were both 21 and the Westshore guy was asked if this was his rookie year. “No this is my 5th year in the corps “.  Cabs(?) response was 😳

A good portion of the Cadets drumline quit after 71 and joined the Cabs after Garfield fired George Tuthill, who also taught the cabs. We were basically 18/19 year-olds.

After all who would want to play in a drumline taught by Bergenfield HS’s new band director, a guy named Fred Sanford.  😵

Edited by MikeD
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, MikeD said:

A good portion of the Cadets drumline quit after 71 and joined the Cabs after Garfield fired George Tuthill, who also taught the cabs. We were basically 18/19 year-olds.

After all who would want to play in a drumline taught by Bergenfield HS’s new band director, a guy named Fred Sanford.  😵

Day after “that” DCI in 1975 we hosted a DCI exhibition show at Hershey (last chance for $$$ for the corps and us). Talked to couple of Muchachos who were not that upset about the DQ “it happened it’s over”.

Conversation I remember is: “so you joining Cabs next year?”

”No I’m joining Sky, I’m sick of playing this Spanish crap”. 😆

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Haha 3