Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, Spatzzz said:

  I think people just like to say that they are and proclaim it will be the last straw and they will leave the activity forever.....and then 2 months later they are buying tickets to a show.  

Ain't going to happen with moi.  Hell, because of where we live, there are no tickets bought now.  But, there will be no theater tickets and 30 day subscription to Flo ordered.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

a rather interesting strategy is posting for the first time to say "goodbye"  take care! Things change, it's called life. I preferred the acoustic activity in G - loud as crap and FANTASTIC, but

For several years my delight with Drum Corps has been waning.  My first experience with Drum Corps was in 2004 at the invitation of Dr. Thomas Root.  It was electrifying for me.  The sound had ma

See, there's so much you could have said without punching him in the nose in the process.  Daggers are not necessary. He has his opinion - you've been trumpeting your incredulous attitude towards

19 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Used to give them baritones but that was when they had a longer practice season to learn. 
 

Wonder if anyone has to mark fingerings and learn that way anymore. Had to do that as was a trombone player

"mark fingerings" hahahah!!!

I started playing brass (soprano) when I joined my corps (valve/rotor and eventually 2-valve) - when I went to HS and they gave me a trumpet, I looked at it and the music and literally said "ok, now what?"

😆

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, gak27 said:

"mark fingerings" hahahah!!!

I started playing brass (soprano) when I joined my corps (valve/rotor and eventually 2-valve) - when I went to HS and they gave me a trumpet, I looked at it and the music and literally said "ok, now what?"

😆

All together now.... O for open, 1, 2, X or B for both....

Got my first 3v in alumni type corps. Horn instructor had been around piston/rotor days so I asked (loudly). “Ok first valve is right thumb, second valve is left thumb. Wth thumb is third valve”. Got this “can’t believe you said that” look🤬

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Not even sure i'd totally go away, but to be honest, I go to band shows for 3 reasons: I'm paid to, i can show off my kid, and to see my wife if she's working one, and usually the kid comes with me. i haven't paid to watch a band show in decades

That was my drum corps world for years. LOL.

Rarely paid. Often was paid, or had a pass.

Now that I'm a paying customer... I'm still getting used to the cold chill I get when reaching for my wallet. :tongue:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

All together now.... O for open, 1, 2, X or B for both....

Got my first 3v in alumni type corps. Horn instructor had been around piston/rotor days so I asked (loudly). “Ok first valve is right thumb, second valve is left thumb. Wth thumb is third valve”. Got this “can’t believe you said that” look🤬

I thought that bugles didn't have any valves when you marched. 😛

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, xandandl said:

I thought that bugles didn't have any valves when you marched. 😛

I only feel that old when I get up...

... mainly in my knees and feet for some unknown (cough asphalt practice fields cough) reason

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My expectation of woodwinds being formally added to DCI judged performances is well-founded. Looking back over almost 50 years of DCI participation, it is my belief this step follows what has been the natural progression of the organization. We can all name a long list of changes, from using a backfield starting line, key change, all through today's vocals and heavy electronics. One might not like the addition of woodwinds but such a decision does follow a longstanding pattern.

Would this really be surprising?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

My expectation of woodwinds being formally added to DCI judged performances is well-founded. Looking back over almost 50 years of DCI participation, it is my belief this step follows what has been the natural progression of the organization. We can all name a long list of changes, from using a backfield starting line, key change, all through today's vocals and heavy electronics. One might not like the addition of woodwinds but such a decision does follow a longstanding pattern.

Would this really be surprising?

Not after following the entire 99-year twisted history of it all.  But it took me until year 93 before it fully dawned on me.

And by the way, how is this a "natural progression"?  Natural regression, maybe.  But nothing I can think of naturally progresses in this manner.  Natural mutation increases the variety of species, but this is two parallel species where one devolves to become the other in a long, convoluted series of disconnected events, some accidental and some purposeful.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

what was that featured instrument in bd's winning show this year, again?

how is it reasonable to think a ww used that way is somehow an impossibility in dci's future?

the only thing that's kept them from being legalized before is that you couldn't really hear them, but now that corps are amplifying entire sections for sustained periods throughout shows combined with standing still on megaprops while mic'd for minutes on end....seems like you'd have to be pretty dense to not see it being part of dci's natural progression towards becoming wgi/wgi winds. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.