Coronavirus

11 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

33,800 people died from the Hong Kong flu in the United States alone in 1968.  Not that precautions should not be taken now, but this is SO over-hyped by the media it is beyond ridiculous.  

I remember that one.  I was in the doctor’s office with my head between my legs.  I was so sick.  Still not as bad as 1978 Russian flu. 

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

As for HK flu that was the toll after it was over so not sure why comparing when this is just starting out.

No one knows how this will turn out, but here's what Dr. Anthony Fauci, the head of infectious diseases center at the National Institutes of Health, says:

"I don't think that we are going to get out of this completely unscathed. I think that this is going to be one of those things we look back on and say boy, that was bad."

29 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

No one knows how this will turn out, but here's what Dr. Anthony Fauci, the head of infectious diseases center at the National Institutes of Health, says:

"I don't think that we are going to get out of this completely unscathed. I think that this is going to be one of those things we look back on and say boy, that was bad."

Kicker will be of it doesn’t turn out as back as expected only due to measures taken by medical and govt agencies. Then people will gripe it was over hyped and when the NEXT bad flu kicks in it will be the boy who cried wolf syndrome and downplayed to possible tragic results.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

The International Housewares Show at McCormick Place has been cancelled.  It was to take place next week. 

Meanwhile, in New York, per a report from NY1:

"The second New Yorker to contract Coronavirus is listed in serious condition at Columbia Presbyterian hospital. He has two sons, one enrolled at Salanter Akiba Riverdale Academy, which suspended school today, and another enrolled in a university in New York City who is showing symptoms. Both are isolated at home. This person does not appear to have a travel nexis, so Mayor de Blasio says this appears to be the beginning of community spread. City officials are not saying (yet) which university the older son is enrolled in, but they do expect to do that soon. The mayor emphasized that although the patient might have traveled on the train, that does not mean train passengers are at risk. Prolonged contact is the concern."

Another reason that we need more testing. Today was the first day that testing was available in New York.

(Also today, a seventh Coronavirus fatality in Washington state was identified -- but it's a person who died a week ago, without the cause having then been identified.)

20 hours ago, WaxDCIFan said:

My daughter’s school just recalled all international students & staff and cancelled all planned study abroad programs indefinitely.  Huge deal...

https://blog.smu.edu/coronavirus-covid-19/2020/03/02/smu-suspends-all-university-related-international-travel/

I hope they’re getting their tuition refunded. 

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Kicker will be of it doesn’t turn out as back as expected only due to measures taken by medical and govt agencies. Then people will gripe it was over hyped and when the NEXT bad flu kicks in it will be the boy who cried wolf syndrome and downplayed to possible tragic results.

Personally I think we’re there right now. 

27 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

I hope they’re getting their tuition refunded. 

Theaters around the country are grappling with this issue right now: what if local or state government issues an emergency order banning public gatherings for a week or a month? If you have to cancel performances and refund patrons' tickets, how long can you afford to pay your regular staff?

Edited by N.E. Brigand

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Given the number of overhyped maladies of past years, don’t you think that could be what is happening now?  

In any case, I haven’t heard any people saying that no measures should be taken by medical or government agencies, so it seems like a false comparison.  Over-hyping and politicization are irresponsible distractions from educating people about precautions to take and supporting what needs to be done.

• Like 1