Summer schedule changes pending

5 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

To be fair, one big driver of the events of 40 months ago was that a lot of people said the economy had never recovered and that's why change was needed.

And when shown numbers like the one you share above, which show a recovery seven years earlier, from sources just like that, they typically would respond in one of these two ways:

1. You can't trust what the government is telling us. That's not the "real" number.

2. Oh sure, the stock market recovered and GDP recovered and unemployment recovered, but the first two aren't helping "regular" folks, and the last one is illusory because the new jobs aren't as good as the jobs before 2008.

The first argument was pure garbage, especially since those people often point to the exact same sources now as being trustworthy.

The second one had, and continues to have, *some* merits. I may not agree with the decision people made in response to their feelings of economic anxiety, but they had valid reasons to feel that way.

My facts don't care about your feelings.

In a vacuum, I believe more of number 1 and a big, fat BS on your number 2.  I see it live.  But stop there - I will not continue this discussion with you as you continually want to relate everything to the armageddon day when your gal didn't win.  Please stop.

My quote above was a direct response to a factually incorrect statement.  It had nothing to do with "40 months ago" (jeesh, do you count hours and days, too?).  The recovery of the financial crash was over a decade ago - "40-months" is your feeble term, not mine.  Again, stop.

The economy recovered.  The fear of a negative impact on the drum corps season WILL NOT originate in a global economic meltdown, rooted in global affliction from coronovirus, that prevents people from going to drum corps shows and destroying the revenue and experience of the event.  The very real impact of the virus is, as I've said from the beginning, a very real issue for DCI.  Global economic meltdown is not.

No discussion of political events from 40 months ago is going to impact the directors, the executives, me, or the person in the White House.  This is band - can we leave the politics to elsewhere, please?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

I didn’t ask you to appreciate it.  We all have opinions and we all know what they say about opinions. As for “escaping politics on DCP”. Really? Many posts on this site are politically motivated. DCP is no “haven” to escape politics. Sorry, but it’s true. It’s like you going after me for agreeing with another poster on a topic you disagree with. If you “keep your opinion to yourself” why do you feel the need to chastise me?

WT...

2 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

I didn’t ask you to appreciate it.  We all have opinions and we all know what they say about opinions. As for “escaping politics on DCP”. Really? Many posts on this site are politically motivated. DCP is no “haven” to escape politics. Sorry, but it’s true. It’s like you going after me for agreeing with another poster on a topic you disagree with. If you “keep your opinion to yourself” why do you feel the need to chastise me?

Yea, well, N.E. < is > a prolific poster.

If you want to get on the mods' good side, use that "Report" button when you witness the political comments you're referencing and insinuating that the mods accept.  They'll take you seriously and not be bashful about telling you when you need to chill.

Spoken from experience.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Mod hat on...

Per the guidelines, political posts are not permitted. Some are getting close to crossing that line, or have even gone slightly over it. Please refrain from making those type of statements here. Before you submit, take a second look and tweak any statements that are politically charged one way or the other.

Thanks

Oh, see?  Told you.  Not much gets past MikeD, and he's big and ugly and mean.  So don't pester him off.  

He eats gremlins, trolls, and little children who misbehave.  Don't misbehave, children.

• Haha 5

56 minutes ago, garfield said:

Oh, see?  Told you.  Not much gets past MikeD, and he's big and ugly and mean.  So don't pester him off.  

He eats gremlins, trolls, and little children who misbehave.  Don't misbehave, children.

Plus he was with the *gasp* Cadets.. 😜

I have to watch out for mod JohnZ... he knows what I look like. 

Seriously no one should assume the mods have seen all the posts here. Some of them have lives outside of dcp 😛

Edited by JimF-LowBari

3 hours ago, garfield said:

well he's not as big as he used to be, but I think it makes him Hangry more often

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

To be fair, one big driver of the events of 40 months ago was that a lot of people said the economy had never recovered and that's why change was needed.

I see what you did there.  :glare:

Let me see if we can steer this ship back on course...

And when shown numbers like the one you share above, which show a recovery seven years earlier, from sources just like that,

GDP growth rate is not the only metric by which "economic recovery" should be measured.  Did fans come pouring back into drum corps shows in 2009, and did kids resume paying in full for auditioning/marching in just as great numbers in 2009 because GDP growth rate rebounded?  Of course not.  The "recovery" for real people was much slower than the GDP growth rate rebound.  (No need to risk political debate by specifying how much slower.)

they typically would respond in one of these two ways:

1. You can't trust what the government is telling us. That's not the "real" number.

Statistics are not simple.  Therefore, it is not always clear what the "real" number is, regardless of whether it is coming from government, media, or subject matter experts.  For example, there are many flavors of reported inflation rates.  Some such popular metrics exclude food, energy, and/or housing costs.  But in real life, most of us feel the effects of changes in food, energy and housing costs.  Some kids cannot afford to march on that account.  And certainly, corps are challenged by fluctuations in the costs of fuel and food.

2. Oh sure, the stock market recovered and GDP recovered and unemployment recovered, but the first two aren't helping "regular" folks, and the last one is illusory because the new jobs aren't as good as the jobs before 2008.

Your mileage may vary on these.  The last one (jobs) has direct relevance to kids trying to raise money to march (or their parents, if they are paying).  It also affects donations.  Therefore, anything that affects the number of jobs, eliminates existing jobs, causes a shift between full-time and part-time jobs, or changes the pay rates and supply of entry-level jobs for people of marching age is going to affect the health of the drum corps activity on several levels.

Still not on topic... but at least we can make this drum-corps-relevant.

Changes tend to happen and I really do not think it is that big of a deal. Personally, I am very happy that they moved the show site from Katy to downtown Houston :) I have yet to set foot in the University of Houston's new football stadium and I have heard really good things about it! 

My only gripe is the start time. 8 PM CT is a little weird, but that could also be due to Houston traffic and while it is not LA traffic, it can still be pretty difficult to travel in. It really isn't that big of a deal and I don't know about ya'll but I plan on starting my DCI show weekend at Buffalo Bayou brewery and then head over to the show site.