Encouragement Thread - If you need support let’s help

41 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Perfect message! Very Joisey!!!

Hey Mike which NJ guv was it that got in a car wreck in the official limo (think it was really an suv). He had the driver speed, didn’t have his seat belt on and vehicle wipes out and guv had couple of broken ribs and broken leg.

Part of his sentence was to do a safe driving public service announcement. He did it and basically said “Don’t be an idiot like me.” IMO there’s a Joisey attitude...

edit: I googled and it was Corzine 

My sister and I said he did a “dad”. Before the wreck he was in the back seat. After the wreck he was in the front seat after pinballing off the dash. Happened to our dad while in the Army decades ago. Except dad described it as “I was sleeping in the back seat and guy in the front seat felt left out so he took a nap too. Problem was there was only one guy in the front seat.... the driver. Two telephone poles later I wake up in the hospital “. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Lol have checked some things and RAMD was calm by comparison. Let’s just say it’s a good example why I stay off of social media except for here.

Likewise. I don't have accounts at Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, or any such social media.

Although glancing just at the twenty or so most recent subject lines in the forum to which Greg linked, they all appear to be scientifically oriented. It's hard to imagine much heated discussion of such topics as "Performance Characteristics of the Abbott Architect SARS-CoV-2 IgG Assay and Seroprevalence Testing in Idaho".

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Lmao I just looked. Was seeing the mess in CA with the beaches and was thinking someone needs to say “we closed the beaches again because the ### holes who can’t do what needs to be done. Thank them if you’re upset”

I'm surprised how many people are willing to surrender their rights to the government without any question.  So silent and submissive. That's the biggest take-away for me so far in this saga.  

I live and grew up here.  Have you ever been to Newport Beach CA. and seen how long and wide (100 yards) our beaches are?  I was there with my immediate family on the sand last weekend. We along with everyone else were in groups 20' to 30' apart touching nothing but the warm sand and water.  Far safer and more enjoyable than any grocery store or anywhere else indoors.  Now there were people clustered near our two piers who were not social distancing as they should have been, but that's a very small percentage of the overall beach.  And why did that happen?  Because the stupid Mayor of L.A. closed their beaches during a 90 degree weekend, so they all came down to Orange County.

In retaliation, our governor closed our beach instead of leaving it up to county and local officials.  That's why people are ###### off.

As usual, what you see in the media is not in context. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I'm surprised how many people are willing to surrender their rights to the government without any question.  So silent and submissive. That's the biggest take-away for me so far in this saga.  

As usual, what you see in the media is not in context. 

You see it as surrendering rights. I see it as doing what needs to be done for safety of others. Having watched someone pass away due to pneumonia from flu I have no pity for someone who can’t go to the beach when they want. But of course the problem isn’t people trying to “prove” something by not following safety procedures. The “real” problem is the govt trying to protect the public from the idiots. 

As for context I see people not doing what they should for their or others safety. Saw it in CA, MI and few miles away in PA. That’s not bad context, that’s fact. In PA the videos I saw were taken from a vehicle showing the entire line of protesters on the sidewalk in front of the capital. No context twisting, just pictures telling the story

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

You see it as surrendering rights. I see it as doing what needs to be done for safety of others. Having watched someone pass away due to pneumonia from flu I have no pity for someone who can’t go to the beach when they want. But of course the problem isn’t people trying to “prove” something by not following safety procedures. The “real” problem is the govt trying to protect the public from the idiots. 

As for context I see people not doing what they should for their or others safety. Saw it in CA, MI and few miles away in PA. That’s not bad context, that’s fact. In PA the videos I saw were taken from a vehicle showing the entire line of protesters on the sidewalk in front of the capital. No context twisting, just pictures telling the story

Amen Brother!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I was reading some interesting history earlier today:

"Bans on assembly, movement, and badly needed economic activity? Citizens of the early Republic went through all these and much more. Churches shut their doors. People were routinely cooped up in their homes — contrary to some recent speculation, there was no general practice of applying restrictions only to the sick. Not long after the adoption of the new Constitution, the nation’s capital of Philadelphia was struck with a deadly outbreak of yellow fever; persons fleeing the city in the direction of places like Baltimore were turned back at gunpoint, while Alexander Hamilton and his wife Eliza, after surviving the illness, had to undergo quarantine at the behest of authorities in Albany, N.Y. where they had fled.

In Massachusetts, to take another example, a 1797 law provided that a person 'coming from any place out of this state, where the small pox or other malignant distemper is prevailing, into any town within this state,' shall be obliged to obey the commands of selectmen to depart the state 'in such manner, and by such road as the said selectmen shall direct.' The measure made it unlawful for any resident to entertain in his house such a person ordered to leave, once warned of the circumstance."

I haven't seen the musical Hamilton. Does it include any reference to his having contracted yellow fever in 1793? (He was Secretary of the Treasury at the time.)

Anyway, I guess everything old is new again, and 227 years hence, people will be reading about us!

And speaking of Hamilton...

• Thanks 2

And having almost finished “The Great Influenza” there were towns that closed off roads and kept out people during the 1918-1920 pandemic. Also local laws passed to mandate masks use, closing of businesses, closing or having churches have services outside, etc, etc. Main thing that kept federal government from enacting anything was number 1 priority was to keep up morale for the war effort. That’s why Philly had a huge war bond parade that ended up spreading the flu like a wildfire. Just too many stories of cities being overwhelmed to the point of being unable to collect or bury the dead and hospitals unable to keep up or have enough beds.

Edit: speaking of rights. During WWI if you spoke against the war you could be thrown into jail. Sure kept newspaper from reporting facts about the flu. Including how many were dying

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

Well now we have people protesting PA shutdown in front of the governor’s house (private residence not governors mansion). Even calling for him to come outside. And “this is just like the flu” which ignores fatality rate of 10x the flu. Lot of people without masks to “prove” there is nothing to be scared about  😫

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Sad 2

58 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Well now we have people protesting PA shutdown in front of the governor’s house (private residence not governors mansion). Even calling for him to come outside. And “this is just like the flu” which ignores fatality rate of 10x the flu. Lot of people without masks to “prove” there is nothing to be scared about  😫

I'll keep saying it

Sometimes ignorance is bliss and sometimes ignorance is just ignorance.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I'm very sorry for your loss.  

And going to the beach isn't just "going to the beach" it's emblematic. 

I couldn't disagree with you more, but that's ok.