Encouragement Thread - If you need support let’s help

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Cixelsyd made what I think is a partially valid point in a previous discussion: even without the stay-at-home directives put in place by many states, a lot of the public would eventually have done the right thing and begun social distancing of their own volition.

I partially :lle: thank you for remembering... but you only partially conveyed my message.

It is not just what we would have done - it is also what we were already doing, voluntarily, on our own initiative before any government order.  At-risk people were already self-isolating.  Their friends and family were already taking precautions.  Workplaces were already developing and implementing work-at-home.  Sports leagues were already shutting down.  And those are just a few examples.

For that matter, people were starting to wear facial coverings long before the government even realized it was a good idea.  :doh:

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Oh I agree up to a point. Like I said I’m not against people getting together to show they disagree. Just the open things up message got really lost with disregard for safety and signs, etc that had nothing to do with reopening businesses. (Biggest sign was anti gay marriage.) Turned into a gripe against the government more than showing support for businesses based on video I saw. And living 5 minute drive away got to see a lot of local media video.

And like I posted earlier, PA is looking to start reopening based on county. 

edit: just read about the protest in MI. Most not wearing masks and not using social distancing. Darwin must be smiling....

I am ok with protesting....safely.  Didn’t see much safety being displayed.  What was more bothersome in MI, were the militia protesters, arriving armed.  I have no understanding the purpose of that and it’s relationship to protesting opening the state (businesses) up.  There is no correlation unless it is contrived.  Intimidation was the objective it seems and I believe, achieved.

No matter, this is not over. Yet.  The steps taken have proven to work and we will get through it.  Things are beginning to get better.  For DC folks we understand patience and perseverance will result in a successful outcome.

• Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

What was more bothersome in MI, were the militia protesters, arriving armed.  I have no understanding the purpose of that and it’s relationship to protesting opening the state (businesses) up

Saw that clip after I posted. Saw one Guy with what looked like an assault rifle across his chest and at least one hand on it. Whiskey... Tango.... Foxtrot.....

• Haha 1

Just now, JimF-LowBari said:

Saw that clip after I posted. Saw one Guy with what looked like an assault rifle across his chest and at least one hand on it. Whiskey... Tango.... Foxtrot.....

Apparently there were quite a few with AR-15’s. 

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Our social distancing shut-downs were not intended only to relieve hospital capacity but also to buy us the time to build our testing capacity.

On this point, accuracy is important.

This idea was entirely about our capacity to treat the severely ill, and nothing else.  Shutting down half of American livelihoods (which, lest we forget, was to be for two weeks... four in worst case) was explicitly to reduce that peak of demand for hospital beds, ICU beds, ventilators, and healthcare workers.  "Flatten the curve" meant the hospital demand curve, not the test kit supply curve.  No one ever introduced lockdowns on the premise that 45 million Americans should have their jobs shut down because of a shortage of COVID-19 test kits. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

I am ok with protesting....safely.  Didn’t see much safety being displayed.  What was more bothersome in MI, were the militia protesters, arriving armed.  I have no understanding the purpose of that and it’s relationship to protesting opening the state (businesses) up.  There is no correlation unless it is contrived.  Intimidation was the objective it seems and I believe, achieved.

No matter, this is not over. Yet.  The steps taken have proven to work and we will get through it.  Things are beginning to get better.  For DC folks we understand patience and perseverance will result in a successful outcome.

Proven how?  People in this forum are quick to remind me that correlation does not prove causation.

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

For DC folks we understand patience and perseverance will result in a successful outcome.

Most "DC folks" have the luxury of working from home on their laptops and collecting a full paycheck.  That's not the case for most Michigan residents, and except for bringing firearms to their protest I agree with them. 

There.  I feel encouraged now. 😀

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Proven how?  People in this forum are quick to remind me that correlation does not prove causation.

Are you just being argumentative? Or just glib?  I have no time for that.  The consensus from medical experts is that social distancing, a primary guideline, is a significant contributor to slowing the transmission of the virus.  So yes there is a cause and effect correlation.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Most "DC folks" have the luxury of working from home on their laptops and collecting a full paycheck.  That's not the case for most Michigan residents, and except for bringing firearms to their protest I agree with them. 

There.  I feel encouraged now. 😀

As I said, no problem with protesting...safely, which many were not doing.  How did you conclude most DC folks work from home on laptops receiving a full paycheck?  

• Thanks 1

So much for being an encouragement thread. Do we really need to go through another round of this? 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1