Encouragement Thread - If you need support let’s help

Was thinking of how masks would do if worn all day and with heat and humidity. One thing I never noticed in mask usage before is needing a tight fit all around. IOW doesn’t help if air is coming out the sides (and not going thru the mask itself) when you exhale. Especially since one use of the mask a to keep others from catching what you might have. Bandana seems to fit right for me as top edge is held down by my glasses and tucking bottom under my shirt collar holds it tight. 

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Found some old masks from Lowe’s or Home Depot down in the cellar bottomless pit of home repair shelves. Now when my county goes yellow light I might be able to get what’s left of my hair up top cut. (Beard close to 2 full months of no trimming yikes). Using a bandana won’t work with hair cutting.

Question: where does anyone find the cloth masks that just cover the mouth and nose and are washable? Only had one store advertise and leery of online sales.

You can create a mask out of bandanas and elastics/rubber bands in a pinch.  A little tri-folding technique and fold over the bands.  They are washable too.  I’m sure there is something on YouTube showing it.

5 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

You can create a mask out of bandanas and elastics/rubber bands in a pinch.  A little tri-folding technique and fold over the bands.  They are washable too.  I’m sure there is something on YouTube showing it.

Oh I’m good with the way I’m wearing the bandana. Just covers too much of back of the head to cut the hair. Irony is where I can still grow hair will be the covered up part. 😫

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Edited by Continental

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

One thing I never noticed in mask usage before is needing a tight fit all around. IOW doesn’t help if air is coming out the sides (and not going thru the mask itself) when you exhale. Especially since one use of the mask a to keep others from catching what you might have.  

That's why a balaclava takes care of most of your points.  Your exhaled air doesn't travel as far and outside air is blocked somewhat from entering.

4 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Was thinking of how masks would do if worn all day and with heat and humidity. One thing I never noticed in mask usage before is needing a tight fit all around. IOW doesn’t help if air is coming out the sides (and not going thru the mask itself) when you exhale. Especially since one use of the mask a to keep others from catching what you might have. Bandana seems to fit right for me as top edge is held down by my glasses and tucking bottom under my shirt collar holds it tight. 

Yeah if you look at some of the pictures of doctors and nurses after working a long shift in the hardest hit areas, you can see welts on their faces from where their tightly fit masks and other PPE were in place all day. But they were working right up next to very sick people.

The general recommendation for the public to wear masks only means cloth masks that don't have to be so tight. The idea is that in combinaton with maintaining at least six feet in distance from others at all time, plus regular handwashing especially after touching things in high-traffic locations, this sort of mask wearing will cut down the chances of the virus transmitting.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

The idea is that in combinaton with maintaining at least six feet in distance from others at all time, plus regular handwashing especially after touching things in high-traffic locations 

I'm thinking that when the dust settles on C19 (if that will eva be possible) hand washing will be one of the top things to do to prevent any illness.  Yeah, I know, hand washing has always been important, but I've been slack in that department since I've never worked full time where constant washing was critical.  Medical and anything around lots of food come to mind.

• Like 2

On 4/30/2020 at 9:27 PM, JimF-LowBari said:

Do you agree with no masks and no social distancing? 

I am for masks and emotional distancing, now get back to work! 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I am for masks and emotional distancing, now get back to work! 

The thing is, lots of people have been back to work this whole time: at hospitals, nursing homes, grocery stores, food processing plants, prisons, and other places that can't shut down.

And by and large, they're the ones who have been getting sick the past month.

Most of the people complaining that we haven't been back to work are people who were able to survive a quarantine with relatively little pain.

They were asked to stay home so that the people who did have to go work in close proximity to others every day could be a little safer.

However, it is encouraging that those people complaining loudest about the shut-downs have represented a small minority of the populatoin.

• Like 1

Reminded me for a moment of Blue Devils' 2016 show:

• Haha 1