Encouragement Thread - If you need support let’s help

10 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

In a 1964 letter, J.R.R. Tolkien explained why he never got very far on his sequel (tentatively called "The New Shadow") to The Lord of the Rings:

"I did begin a story placed about 100 years after the Downfall, but it proved both sinister and depressing. Since we are dealing with Men it is inevitable that we should be concerned with the most regrettable feature of their nature: their quick satiety with good."

Anyway, this [the 1977 Rankin-Bass TV version of The Hobbit] was how I first encountered Tolkien's work:

The songs were catchy!

The best thing about the 2012 Hobbit movie was that it included the song "Far over the misty mountains cold", and the setting was as good as the 1977 version. It's been suggested on DCP before (by someone other than me) that a corps should play the 2012 version. Someone kindly mashed the two arrangements together here:

The cartoon had such excellent (albeit American) voice work. John Huston's growling Gandalf was awesome. Sadly, Orson Bean, who played Bilbo in 1977 (and who I had the unexpected good fortune to meet about ten yeas ago), died earlier this year after being struck by not one but two cars.

There's also a rather timely and possibly encouraging aspect about Tolkien's work, relevant to this conversation, that I'll try to return to later.

• Like 1

At least we've seen the end of April, "the cruelest month", as T. S. Eliot termed it 98 years ago in The Waste Land.

Happy May Day!

• Like 1

Starting May 8 at 12:01am 24 out of 67 counties in PA will go from red status to yellow status. IOW they can start opening up a bit while state keeps track of new virus counts. Counties are in northwest part of the state and are kinda the boonies except for Erie. Status will depend on number of new cases per 100k population over last 14 days. All counties will be monitored for progress (or regression).

Note number of counties might change by then. 24 is number hitting the go to yellow criteria as of now

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

Gov Murphy in NJ has started some small reopen steps...state parks and golf courses. No attractions at State Parks will be open, nor will food stalls and restrooms. For golf courses, a lot of restrictions. Only one in a cart, unless they people live together. Only two at a  hole; no foursomes. 16 minutes between teeing off.

He also may announce Monday or Tuesday the fate of NJ schools for the rest of the school year. Today Gov Cuomo in NY announced that theirs are closed the balance of the academic year. PA is also closed I think. Given that the states are operating as a group, my best guess is that they will remain closed, but we'll see.

Any Neil Gaiman fans out there?

Edited by Jurassic Lancer

4 hours ago, MikeD said:

Gov Murphy in NJ has started some small reopen steps...state parks and golf courses. No attractions at State Parks will be open, nor will food stalls and restrooms. For golf courses, a lot of restrictions. Only one in a cart, unless they people live together. Only two at a  hole; no foursomes. 16 minutes between teeing off.

He also may announce Monday or Tuesday the fate of NJ schools for the rest of the school year. Today Gov Cuomo in NY announced that theirs are closed the balance of the academic year. PA is also closed I think. Given that the states are operating as a group, my best guess is that they will remain closed, but we'll see.

PA and DE closed

and georgia 1000 new cases today

Found some old masks from Lowe’s or Home Depot down in the cellar bottomless pit of home repair shelves. Now when my county goes yellow light I might be able to get what’s left of my hair up top cut. (Beard close to 2 full months of no trimming yikes). Using a bandana won’t work with hair cutting.

Question: where does anyone find the cloth masks that just cover the mouth and nose and are washable? Only had one store advertise and leery of online sales.

49 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Found some old masks from Lowe’s or Home Depot down in the cellar bottomless pit of home repair shelves. Now when my county goes yellow light I might be able to get what’s left of my hair up top cut. (Beard close to 2 full months of no trimming yikes). Using a bandana won’t work with hair cutting.

Question: where does anyone find the cloth masks that just cover the mouth and nose and are washable? Only had one store advertise and leery of online sales.

Try Amazon.com.  While I have not purchased face masks from them, I have bought a lot of other stuff and had very good service.  If there were any issues, their customer support has been very professional and helpful.  

I don't know what it's like where you are, but it's been a long time since I have seen masks or plastic gloves available where I am - and that's even for disposable masks.  Online seems to be the only source right now. 

https://www.amazon.com/cloth-face-mask-washable/s?k=cloth+face+mask+washable 

Edited by Continental
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I'm participating in a test group evaluating reusable masks to be distributed to staff at the world's happiest place when it reopens.  we will be mandated to wear masks and have our temps checked upon reporting for work. so far no guidelines for guests though.

the masks look exactly like the typical thin blue/white medical masks but made with cotton/polyester fabric that can be washed - so far they show promise but they are a little harder to draw air through.  not much but you do have to work at it.  not sure how they will perform in the heat of the day here.  part of my evaluation will also question how they will conform to the NIOSH fit guidelines since they will be mandatory safety equipment in the workplace.

for everyday use, they work well - look online for brown/white accordion style masks with ear loops.

Florida is opening slowly.  hopefully and cautiously watching the numbers