Encouragement Thread - If you need support let’s help

Appears Texas and Florida number are jacked up pretty bad right now. Texas jumped past PA for 7th most number of cases and not even close few days later

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Appears Texas and Florida number are jacked up pretty bad right now. Texas jumped past PA for 7th most number of cases and not even close few days later

I know Arizona and Alabama have had a rough week. 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I know Arizona and Alabama have had a rough week. 

Arizona has had a huge spike in cases the last week.  It will be interesting to see what happens with the number of deaths.  The two curves have not correlated so far in an especially discernible way.  Neither have the testing curve and the cases curve.  

There was a huge increase in testing availability in May, and then people started coming out a month ago but gradually and then we had curfews unto a week ago, so maybe the increase is the combination of new opportunities for exposure combined with ready availability of testing shot the numbers up.  

Also we are now into the heat here.  Consistently in the 100s, recently 109.  Hard to know how that affects things.  My wife is high risk so went on unpaid leave today until September.

• Sad 3

14 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Arizona has had a huge spike in cases the last week.  It will be interesting to see what happens with the number of deaths.  The two curves have not correlated so far in an especially discernible way.  Neither have the testing curve and the cases curve.  

There was a huge increase in testing availability in May, and then people started coming out a month ago but gradually and then we had curfews unto a week ago, so maybe the increase is the combination of new opportunities for exposure combined with ready availability of testing shot the numbers up.  

Also we are now into the heat here.  Consistently in the 100s, recently 109.  Hard to know how that affects things.  My wife is high risk so went on unpaid leave today until September.

We were in quarantine until this past  Friday. It sucks. The virus sucks. It has taken my otherwise healthy step-father. We’ve been tested twice. Get your vitamin D in that AZ sun. Please be safe. 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer

28 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Do high temperatures mean more people together inside in the air conditioning?

20 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

We were in quarantine until this past  Friday. It sucks. The virus sucks. It has taken my otherwise healthy step-father. We’ve been tested twice. Get your vitamin D in that AZ sun. Please be safe. 

I currently take 2k of D daily, wonder if I should increase that.

3 hours ago, E3D said:

Demonstrations are responsible for the spikes.:united:

It's probably too soon to say that: the spikes (so far mostly in southern and western states) started in late May. Also, I can't find it now, but earlier today I saw a report that indicated 1-2% of protesters were testing positive. It may be that outdoor activity where most people are wearing masks is not too dangerous. Fingers crossed. That would be something DCI would like to know sooner rather than later, so they can plan for next year.

(Suppose it turns out to be true. Would that mean that DCI, to keep people safe, would have a moral responsibility to do Finals outdoors in 2021?)

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

It's probably too soon to say that: the spikes (so far mostly in southern and western states) started in late May. Also, I can't find it now, but earlier today I saw a report that indicated 1-2% of protesters were testing positive. It may be that outdoor activity where most people are wearing masks is not too dangerous. Fingers crossed. That would be something DCI would like to know sooner rather than later, so they can plan for next year.

(Suppose it turns out to be true. Would that mean that DCI, to keep people safe, would have a moral responsibility to do Finals outdoors in 2021?)

I am very OK if DCI Finals are held in an outside venue for aesthetic if not moral grounds. 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer

6 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

If the science backs that up.

Not sure if an airspace the size of LOS is different from outdoors in terms of virus transmission.  But this could be a good time to try moving the judges out of the press box.