Encouragement Thread - If you need support let’s help

13 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And will feel more encouraged after next week when I get a haircut.... 10 day waiting list lmao.... whacked my 4 inch 🎅 (Santa) beard in anticipation....

I would describe my current aesthetic, but I'd need a mullet emoji...

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

I would describe my current aesthetic, but I'd need a mullet emoji...

Wish I had enough hair in the middle of my head for that lol

• Like 1

Given that this had been the subject of some discussion in various Covid-19 threads here, a news update worth noting:

FDA ends emergency use of hydroxychloroquine for coronavirus.

For want of any other possible treatment, and with a small number of early studies suggesting hydroxychloroquine had some efficacy against this new disease, the FDA, starting in March, had permitted doctors to prescribe the drug for Covid-19. Then in April, the FDA advised that it should only be administered in a hospital setting, where potential side effects could be monitored. And now:

"After reviewing new information from large clinical trials the agency now believes that the suggested dosing regimens 'are unlikely to produce an antiviral effect,' FDA chief scientist Denise Hinton said in a letter announcing the decision. ...

This month two randomized controlled trials, considered the gold standard for determining whether a drug is effective, concluded that the drug does not prevent coronavirus infection and did not help hospitalized patients.

Another study based on tens of thousands of patient records linked hydroxychloroquine to a higher risk of heart problems, but it was withdrawn after questions arose about the quality of the data it used."

The article also notes that drug companies had donated large stocks of the drug to state and federal governments (which will now likely go unused), a point which further suggests that those people who most vociferously touted the drug (there were some  TV show hosts who were particularly enthusiastic about it, for instance) were not acting on any clear financial motive. It seems they just wanted to believe it would work. And to be clear: I think it's a shame that it doesn't work. But at least we know.

Well PA sticking around the 400-500 new cases a day as counties go to green stage. Counties hit the worst including Lehigh (Allentown for you J Birney Crum attendees) go green end of the week. And so far no reason to go backwards..

Having said that wth that my zip code keeps inching up with currently 150 cases out of 9500 residents. Possible still new cases in the local nursing homes but this is spooky as works out roughly to 1 case per 63 people. (US roughly 1 case per 165 people)

Edited by JimF-LowBari

59 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Given that this had been the subject of some discussion in various Covid-19 threads here, a news update worth noting:

FDA ends emergency use of hydroxychloroquine for coronavirus.

For want of any other possible treatment, and with a small number of early studies suggesting hydroxychloroquine had some efficacy against this new disease, the FDA, starting in March, had permitted doctors to prescribe the drug for Covid-19. Then in April, the FDA advised that it should only be administered in a hospital setting, where potential side effects could be monitored. And now:

"After reviewing new information from large clinical trials the agency now believes that the suggested dosing regimens 'are unlikely to produce an antiviral effect,' FDA chief scientist Denise Hinton said in a letter announcing the decision. ...

This month two randomized controlled trials, considered the gold standard for determining whether a drug is effective, concluded that the drug does not prevent coronavirus infection and did not help hospitalized patients.

Another study based on tens of thousands of patient records linked hydroxychloroquine to a higher risk of heart problems, but it was withdrawn after questions arose about the quality of the data it used."

The article also notes that drug companies had donated large stocks of the drug to state and federal governments (which will now likely go unused), a point which further suggests that those people who most vociferously touted the drug (there were some  TV show hosts who were particularly enthusiastic about it, for instance) were not acting on any clear financial motive. It seems they just wanted to believe it would work. And to be clear: I think it's a shame that it doesn't work. But at least we know.

Huh, who woulda thunk it. 

• Haha 1

Tongue in cheek humor time: Ohio BBQ place near PA border has named Tom Wolf it’s employee of the month. “Thanks to Tom our business has really picked up”.

Wolf is the PA governor. Owner thinks 2/3 of his customers are from PA and need to get the hades out for a bit. (PA restaurants are still in take out/curbside)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Looks promising. I’ve “prescribed” this drug to patients who I’ve done some surgical extractions on, interesting to see how drugs can have so many different uses