Our Commitment To The Black Lives Matter Movement

I just read an article in today's paper, about Princeton's McCarter theater, that says a person involved in theater, producer Marie Cisco, is keeping a public Google document titled "Theaters Not Speaking Out" of all theaters around the country that make a 'statement' in support of the BLM movement. Personally, I find this very troubling in a Big Brother-ish sort of way.

10 minutes ago, MikeD said:

I just read an article in today's paper, about Princeton's McCarter theater, that says a person involved in theater, producer Marie Cisco, is keeping a public Google document titled "Theaters Not Speaking Out" of all theaters around the country that make a 'statement' in support of the BLM movement. Personally, I find this very troubling in a Big Brother-ish sort of way.

Why? It’s a free market, and many would prefer to support businesses that are speaking out on this issue. 

It’s important to understand we see 2 major ‘protest’ groups operating in places like Seattle. Black Lives Matter and ANTIFA. Both groups do not always have the same goals in mind when they present themselves. I’m not so sure everyone on the streets really understands this. Nor, people at home watching this all go down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

Defund the thought police. 

1 hour ago, Fred Windish said:

It’s important to understand we see 2 major ‘protest’ groups operating in places like Seattle. Black Lives Matter and ANTIFA. Both groups do not always have the same goals in mind when they present themselves. I’m not so sure everyone on the streets really understands this. Nor, people at home watching this all go down.

Assuming people are who they say they are, a lady associated with BLM stood up to a group of people who were heckling 3 police officers who were merely standing there, and got shouted down by the crowd.

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Why? It’s a free market, and many would prefer to support businesses that are speaking out on this issue. 

But many want to support businesses that sell products and services they want to buy and don't bash them in the head with their political views.  Or watch sports under the same circumstances.  

A free and fair market is not influenced by guilt or political dispositions.  That's the reality I live and work in.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, garfield said:

But many want to support businesses that sell products and services they want to buy and don't bash them in the head with their political views.  Or watch sports under the same circumstances.  

A free and fair market is not influenced by guilt or political dispositions.  That's the reality I live and work in.

Tell that to the Dixie Chicks.

You're free to continue to support any business you like. No one's stopping you. The business is free to decide whether or not it's worth it to them to make themselves more appealing to other potential customers for whom this is an important issue.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MikeD said:

When the George Hopkins scandal broke, someone started this thread right here on DCP asking for links to corps' statements on that news and/or their sexual harrassment policies. In response, various respondents looked at every single DCI and DCA corps' website and social media feed and shared what they found, and after about a week, I responded by collating all that information into a list, noting the 30+ groups who had posted that sort of information and the 20+ groups who hadn't. Here's what I said about the latter:

"And as far as I can tell, nothing has been said by the following corps, nor do they have harassment and/or whistleblower policies anywhere easy to find:

Let me know if I missed something. And if you are affiliated with any of the above groups, on the first list [of corps with public statements or policies] or the second, maybe check in with them and make sure you feel what they're doing is good enough."

- - - - - - - - - -

(As it happens, I've worked with the McCarter before.)

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Voicing support of an ambiguous movement under duress is not speaking out on an issue.  

24 minutes ago, garfield said:

Hm? I’m not sure why you included the “but” in front of your sentence. It does not fit as it does not oppose my statement, it only complements it. Many want to, as the common phrase goes, “put their money where their mouth is” and others simply are looking to support businesses that sell products that they want. Neither of these go against the concept of a free market. 

Consumers create demand, and it seems that there are enough consumers who are placing morality at least at the same level of pure selfish capitalism to justify businesses putting out statements in support of the causes the consumers support. 

It would be quite a different matter if the government was applying pressure on businesses to support a particular political or moral position, but it is entirely different for a consumer to do so. As an example, I always discourage my family and friends from eating at Chick Fil A. That isn’t in violation of the free market, that is actually well within the realm of it: the ability for the consumer to choose. Just because consumers nowadays look for more than the products themselves does not change that. 

• Thanks 1