Colorado Marching Band Cancelled

I am interested to see how much people are fixated on the idea of whether people live or die from the disease. With some victims suffering from different levels of anosmia (and as a result, mild ageusia) well after the rest of their symptoms have subsided, as well as reports of permanent lung damage in other cases, why treat this lightly? Just because it doesn't immediately send us to the Grim Reaper? Caution is always the best policy as a leader with the responsibility of managing the health and safety of others, especially kids. Until we know more about the after-effects of COVID-19, why take the risk? Kids are still going to be able to receive an education online and there are more important things in life than marching band. 

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Kids are still going to be able to receive an education online and there are more important things in life than marching band. 

What percentage in this scenario are you thinking?  I don't think it's gone up very much since children were supposed to go on line back a few months ago.  Too many reports by teachers of low numbers of students participating on a regular basis.  You go on line Mon. and Tues, then miss a day or two, you're falling behind.   For those parents who hardly ever get involved with their children's education, they may not be very active with the child while they are on the computer.  The parent/parents might be at work.  Our standing in math/science has been dropping over the years, lack of classroom learning might continue that trend.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

It might be, as long as we're willing to write off their teachers and parents.

Who said anything about writing off teachers or parents?

1.  In case you missed it:

15 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

kids are also less likely to pass it onto others

2.  That said... individual teachers, parents, grandparents, etc., can and will (and should) make their own choices based on their own situations.

No need for panic.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Continental said:

The stories I could tell you about family.....

Yeah this is from my wife’s side. Glad I’m still considered part of the family since her passing but sometimes some of them need to stop and think. Irony is the 180 degree thinking with my (blood) sister. We talk in the front yard while distancing and it’s a comedy routine when we give stuff to each other. One steps back and other steps up and puts the stuff on the ground. Then that person steps back and first person steps up to pick it up. Meanwhile my bro in law just got back from NJ so he is on the other side of the window waving... 😆

Edited by JimF-LowBari

5 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Yeah this is from my wife’s side. Glad I’m still considered part of the family since her passing but sometimes some of them need to stop and think. Irony is the 180 degree thinking with my (blood) sister. We talk in the front yard while distancing and it’s a comedy routine when we give stuff to each other. One steps back and other steps up and puts the stuff on the ground. Then that person steps back and first person steps up to pick it up. Meanwhile my bro in law just got back from NJ so he is on the other side of the window waving... 😆

Edited by Continental

50 minutes ago, Ghost said:

What percentage in this scenario are you thinking?  I don't think it's gone up very much since children were supposed to go on line back a few months ago.  Too many reports by teachers of low numbers of students participating on a regular basis.  You go on line Mon. and Tues, then miss a day or two, you're falling behind.   For those parents who hardly ever get involved with their children's education, they may not be very active with the child while they are on the computer.  The parent/parents might be at work.  Our standing in math/science has been dropping over the years, lack of classroom learning might continue that trend.

There is a very simple thing to combat this: mandatory attendance. Or weekly quizzes to ensure students keep up with material. A very simple fix. 

Our country falling behind in math/science is a result of (in my opinion)

1. Parents not pushing their kids hard enough. I was doing multiplication and division tables by the time I was 5. No reason students shouldn’t be starting that early 

2. lack of respect for our educators by policymakers

3. Too high of an emphasis on the liberal arts and large roadblocks to going into STEM (girls feel discouraged, takes like 12 years of post high school schooling to become a doctor, etc)

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Cappybara said:

1. Parents not pushing their kids hard enough. I was doing multiplication and division tables by the time I was 5. No reason students shouldn’t be starting that early 

Edited by Continental

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

2.  That said... individual teachers, parents, grandparents, etc., can and will (and should) make their own choices based on their own situations.

No need for panic

Have seen that some teachers are taking retirement or leaving as their choice. Usually teacher with health issues or family member with health issues and teacher doesn’t want to take a chance passing CV.

I don’t see panic but do see a lot of hard decisions being made. Also lot of anger that time is short and plans are still being made or details (if there are any) are not being released to those who will be affected most.

And the idea that kids are less likely still makes it a crap shoot. No teacher that I know of wants to look at their class thinking “well who is going to be on the bad side of the percentages”. They don’t want “less likely” they want safe. And if one kid does get it what happens to the rest of the kids in the class, and the school, and family contacts..... oh yeah still waiting for details 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And the idea that kids are less likely still makes it a crap shoot. No teacher that I know of wants to look at their class thinking “well who is going to be on the bad side of the percentages”. They don’t want “less likely” they want safe. 

But it is never "safe".  There is always some risk.

Never thought I would be the one writing one of these (and especially to you, the last person who would need a reminder).  But this is why you hear people make those comparisons to the flu.  Flu kills people too, it is spread much more effectively by children, and yet we make no effort to maintain social distancing, wear masks, check temperatures daily, perform regular testing for infection with or without symptoms, decrease class density, install barriers, mandate disinfectant deep cleaning, or replace classroom learning entirely with an online curriculum on its account.

School reopening will include massive precautions of the nature I just described above.  It may well be safer than staying home.

And if one kid does get it what happens to the rest of the kids in the class, and the school, and family contacts..... oh yeah still waiting for details 

Agree that the delay in communicating planned precautions is ridiculous and frustrating.  Not like there has not been any time... 

This was my experience with COVID-19

I’m in my 60's.  On June 24th I started running a low-grade fever, sore throat, body aches, mild-occasional dry cough, and fatigue.  All symptoms disappeared completely two days later, and three days before I could get a COVID test scheduled.  My daughter’s test came back positive also.  We drove from Waco Texas back to Orange County together.  She’s 22, lost her sense of taste, and had a mild headache for a day – that’s it!  We're both fine, have no residual issues, and oddly my wife never contracted it and she travelled with us. 

I know this has been a death sentence for many but it wasn’t, thankfully, for us.  I’ve had worse colds.

• Like 3