Does no WGI = no DCI for 2021 (Hypothetical)?

Maybe a little hope for the 2021 tour?  I mean, if it was ready by December 31, 2020, & distributed on January 1. 2021?  :thumbup:

A coronavirus vaccine is “possible” by the end of 2020, but will not become widely available until 2021, Harvard University vaccine researcher Dr. Dan Barouch told Yahoo Finance in a recent interview.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/coronavirus-vaccine-possible-by-winter-top-harvard-scientist-113444435.html

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

14 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

So much for optimism?

I've been watching so many marching bands over the past seven or eight years that when I check in on this feed, I find that sometimes I recognize the name of a town I never otherwise would have heard of from another part of the country. Every few hours, that "Faces of COVID" account posts a picture of one of the 170,000+ Americans who have died thus far from the pandemic, along with a short note about the person's life and and a link to his or her obituary. So when I saw this most recent post, for example, although I've never even been to Alabama, I remembered seeing video of the Hoover band in 2015, with a show titled "This Sacred Land," and I remember getting into a little argument with someone on the (now defunct) Music for All forums who was annoyed that Hoover had lost an early season contest to Grissom, whose show was titled "Mysteries of Egypt" (playing some Key Poulan music with tricky rhythms). Based on the footage I saw (in which both bands were a bit rough), I thought the judges got it right. Anyway, this is a sobering account to monitor:

My statement "nothing we can do about it" was pointing out that State and Local School officials are going to either open or not and that we here on this message board can do nothing about it. Same with business they are open all through the country. 

With respect to your post. I don't see in the news article that She passed away because she contracted covid-19 at school. Sad story no doubt but there is no connection to schools is there? 

Edited by E3D

5 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Maybe a little hope for the 2021 tour?  I mean, if it was ready by December 31, 2020, & distributed on January 1. 2021?  :thumbup:

A coronavirus vaccine is “possible” by the end of 2020, but will not become widely available until 2021, Harvard University vaccine researcher Dr. Dan Barouch told Yahoo Finance in a recent interview.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/coronavirus-vaccine-possible-by-winter-top-harvard-scientist-113444435.html

There are 2 factors at work:

1. The vaccine has to go through the various approval phases.  This takes months, but we are somewhere on that road already.

&

2.  The vaccine must be produced & distributed.  Production takes some time, typically months as well.

As I understand it, for some of the more promising vaccines that are in the approval pipeline the production has started in anticipation of approval.  

We will see how it works out.

In the meantime, we can petition political leaders that once vaccine is available, that Drum Corps, members, staff, & fans should be placed at the very front of the line so we can have a 2021 season.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, E3D said:

With respect to your post.

A post so nice you quoted it twice.

Reminds me of the time I summarized more than 900 previous posts in a G7 discussion, and then Jeff quoted the whole thing.

(Someone asked around that time why I kept referring to the G7 as "SE7EN". It was because we didn't know what was in the box.)

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

(Someone asked around that time why I kept referring to the G7 as "SE7EN". It was because we didn't know what was in the box.)

Lmao Robot Chicken just did a takeoff on the ending. The box is opened and it contains a birthday cake. Then the scene goes to a kids birthday party..,,. 😈

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Reminds me of the time I summarized more than 900 previous posts in a G7 discussion, and then Jeff quoted the whole thing.

Ugh. That sinking feeling when you spot a typo in something you wrote ... seven years later.

But also, I feel like I'm looking at a time capsule. Here's just one of many summary entries that take me back:

"100. dans condemns DCP cynicism as mere hatred of George Hopkins, believes the SE7EN proposal is sensible on the grounds that the most successful corps should have the biggest say in DCP’s future, and praises SE7EN for their imagination."

Edited by N.E. Brigand

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

A post so nice you quoted it twice.

Fixed it. My mistake. 

Your first sentence reminds me of green eggs and ham. 

Edited by E3D

Just now, E3D said:

Fixed it. My mistake. 

No worries! It was fun to be prodded to look up that old thread. If we only knew then what we know now.

An interesting development in Massachusetts, maybe it is happening in other states as well. Football and cheerleading are considered high risk sports. The MIAA, the governing agency for public school sports, Catholic school sports, and a good number of private school sports, is allowing participating schools to hold practices for high risk fall sports, but games or in the case of cheering, will be held in a later season. Right now it is anticipated that football games will be held in the Spring, which is not sitting too well with baseball coaches. Not sure if this will mean half time shows which could mean Spring competitions for bands, and if this would impact winter guards. 

1 hour ago, E3D said:

Fixed it. My mistake. 

Your first sentence reminds me of green eggs and ham. 

I will not eat them with Se7en 

I will not eat them in heaven

I will not eat them Sam I Am.

Just came across my wife’s copy going through boxes of stuff from her parents estate 😃

• Like 1