Plans to attend August event?

On 3/22/2021 at 11:54 PM, O'Neal's said:

In Florida they are on 50 and up. According to Florida shortly they will be on 40 and older. Some locations already offering it. In Texas I read 50+ was also available now. 

Using ONeals post as only one mentioning two states. Has either state given info why they think they are gaining anything by lowering age requirement? It’s not going to speed up getting the vaccine out and if they still have people in first group to be done wth? 🤯
Other than political reasons or public relations (sounds like they are making great progress) it makes no sense. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Using ONeals post as only one mentioning two states. Has either state given info why they think they are gaining anything by lowering age requirement? It’s not going to speed up getting the vaccine out and if they still have people in first group to be done wth? 🤯
Other than political reasons or public relations (sounds like they are making great progress) it makes no sense. 

I wondered about this myself.  All official county sites here are still booked solid and then they open it up to younger people?  

Fortunately there are some extra mass sites here (I got vaccine 1 on Monday) but I’m not sure everyone knows about them as they do not show up on the county website.

On 3/23/2021 at 7:46 AM, IllianaLancerContra said:

Just an observation - 50% of the states are in the 'bottom half'

This is indeed concerning news.  Fortunately, upon further research I have learned the 50% of states are in the ‘top half’ so I find some solace in that.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

This is indeed concerning news.  Fortunately, upon further research I have learned the 50% of states are in the ‘top half’ so I find some solace in that.

My students hate it on first day when I assure them that no matter how hard they work, half will still be below average 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

Reactions can vary a lot.

My wife had no reaction to her first Moderna shot.Not as lucky with her second dose.

Very sore arm at the injection site.Much worse at night ,when she was trying to sleep.Lasted a few days.

My dad got the J&J.Had "spots" on his forehead,kind of like "pimples" and a rash on his chest and abdomen,that lasted about a week.

My dad's Home Health Aide's family is from Jamaica.

One of her family members had an issue with "clotting" after getting the Astra vaccine.She wasn't sure  how severe they were.

My vet had the worst reaction I know of personally.Severe vertigo.He said it took two days for him to be able to get up.He said he's not sure about getting the second dose.

my wife got J&J...that night no issues, next day basically zero energy and occasional fever.

per PA i am still not old enough, fat enough and my job isn't important enough. my 73 year old mom after 3 months of trying finally got her first shot today

• Like 1

13 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

Are HS chair placements a 'zero-sum' game? 2nd chair = 1st loser? :spitting:  

only if Dan Potter adds an asterisk

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

my hunch is those states have a higher concentration of folks refusing to get it

5 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

in the case of Floriduh, the state lowered the eligible age based on waning demand - as the number of registrations in older aged populations decreased (the number of citizens apparently eager to receive the vaccine) they lowered the age to encourage more people eager for the vaccination to enroll.  statewide, eligibility is set at age 50 and up.

In some of the major metro areas (Miami Dade and Orlando Orange County) the mayors have lowered eligibility even more to 40+ years, with M-D planning to lower it even more on a weekly basis until everyone who qualifies can enroll.  the rationale is their populations are younger and eager.  

While politics can be attributed to almost anything these days, it appears  they are maximizing demand to efficiently dispense the perishable supply.

5 hours ago, JohnZ said:

in the case of Floriduh, the state lowered the eligible age based on waning demand - as the number of registrations in older aged populations decreased (the number of citizens apparently eager to receive the vaccine) they lowered the age to encourage more people eager for the vaccination to enroll.  statewide, eligibility is set at age 50 and up.

In some of the major metro areas (Miami Dade and Orlando Orange County) the mayors have lowered eligibility even more to 40+ years, with M-D planning to lower it even more on a weekly basis until everyone who qualifies can enroll.  the rationale is their populations are younger and eager.  

While politics can be attributed to almost anything these days, it appears  they are maximizing demand to efficiently dispense the perishable supply.

Thanks for the first hand account John. Ok - waning demand which is scary that they are hitting it this early. 
My possible politics guess was thinking leaders trying to keep voters happy, but nope.
FloriDUH.... sisters mother in law is a snow bird and based on trips sis has taken.... no argument 🙄

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I had the Pfizer doses. First one, didn't notice anything. Second one, I legit thought I had the flu. Body aches and chills and a fever of almost 101.