Phantom Regiment 2022

Just checked it out as well, and WOW. This was like a breath of fresh air compared to past seasons. This sort of visual design is exactly what Phantom has been missing for the past decade or so. I’m beyond excited for them. This has so much potential, especially with the brass sounding this good, this early, while on the move.

• Like 5

Not sure a show like this can score as well any more but what a wonderful and exciting show!  That’s all I need, solid playing, marching and percussion. Just guard needs to step up a tad but will be solid enough by end of the season. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

A few things after watching the run-through:

- The first 20 seconds told me "Phantom Regiment has a competent visual design team." 

- This is Regiment's best use of props by a mile. But these aren't "top six" props. I'm blown away by the design of SCV's 2018 Tower of Babel, or the house that BD assembled in 2011. PR's platforms aren't those, but they serve the purpose for a transition show design. 

- The "walk" aspect of the show comes out in the opening, but it's less obvious afterward. Even when the path reassembles at the end, it's not used. That's the risk you run by choosing even a loose theme like No Walk Too Far - you have to demonstrate the walk and the transitions on that walk. I'm sure they'll work it out over the summer.

- Love the backfield stuff at the start of Mahler 5. When I listened to the concert in the park, it seemed like it was arranged in a hymn sort of way, and it seemed even moreso in the run through - are they depicting end of life? Very church-y to me. 

- The drill designer knows how to stage tubas.

- I agree with Whiskey... This may not be a design that's competitive in 2022 - a lot of the elements seem a bit outdated compared to the rest of the groups. But I will absolutely take it and love it! And I agree with Sensioto - best since Turandot! 

- A lot of us said (sadly, broken record style) during the 2016-2019 era that by the end of the season, the students were outperforming the show and doing the best they could with what they were given. 2021 reminded us of how entertaining this corps can be in August when the initial condition is a competent design, and 2022 will keep that up.

- In its last competitive outing, Regiment was a 12th place corps. If this corps finishes in 12th, the top 11 will have to be world beaters. I still think 8th would be a big accomplishment worth being proud of.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, general_tsos_chicken2 said:

And yes, actually me and the other general tsos chicken are different people. It was really random and weird that we both had the same random username. 

That's a lot of chicken in our diets. Would you mind a change to general_tso_porkloin?

Welcome back. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

This is Regiment's best use of props by a mile. But these aren't "top six" props. I'm blown away by the design of SCV's 2018 Tower of Babel, or the house that BD assembled in 2011. PR's platforms aren't those, but they serve the purpose for a transition show design. 

What is a "top six" prop?  

13 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

A few things after watching the run-through:

- The first 20 seconds told me "Phantom Regiment has a competent visual design team." 

- This is Regiment's best use of props by a mile. But these aren't "top six" props. I'm blown away by the design of SCV's 2018 Tower of Babel, or the house that BD assembled in 2011. PR's platforms aren't those, but they serve the purpose for a transition show design. 

- The "walk" aspect of the show comes out in the opening, but it's less obvious afterward. Even when the path reassembles at the end, it's not used. That's the risk you run by choosing even a loose theme like No Walk Too Far - you have to demonstrate the walk and the transitions on that walk. I'm sure they'll work it out over the summer.

- Love the backfield stuff at the start of Mahler 5. When I listened to the concert in the park, it seemed like it was arranged in a hymn sort of way, and it seemed even moreso in the run through - are they depicting end of life? Very church-y to me. 

- The drill designer knows how to stage tubas.

- I agree with Whiskey... This may not be a design that's competitive in 2022 - a lot of the elements seem a bit outdated compared to the rest of the groups. But I will absolutely take it and love it! And I agree with Sensioto - best since Turandot! 

- A lot of us said (sadly, broken record style) during the 2016-2019 era that by the end of the season, the students were outperforming the show and doing the best they could with what they were given. 2021 reminded us of how entertaining this corps can be in August when the initial condition is a competent design, and 2022 will keep that up.

- In its last competitive outing, Regiment was a 12th place corps. If this corps finishes in 12th, the top 11 will have to be world beaters. I still think 8th would be a big accomplishment worth being proud of.

I've seen the dress rehearsal and believe that Phantom will have many on their feet by the end of their production. Everything to like about drum corps is in that production. Thanks Phantom!

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Continental said:

What is a "top six" prop?  

A prop design that is innovative. I referenced what I consider to be two great examples. See also: BD most any year for the last decade or so.

Perhaps a different way to think about it... If BD were to design a show called No Walk Too Far, what would the props look like? I'm guessing not what Regiment chose. 

4 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Perhaps a different way to think about it... If BD were to design a show called No Walk Too Far, what would the props look like? I'm guessing not what Regiment chose. 

I'm sure if the June Taylor Dancers were to design a show called No Walk Too Far, their props would be different than what Regiment chose. 

In the last competitive season, Regiment had french fry containers with the central character burning in one of them.  

I think these are an improvement.  However, I'm not hoping Regiment somehow manages to get into the top 6 this year.  What I am glad about is that I don't think I'm going to be worrying about Regiment making finals this year like I did in 2019. 

Edited by Continental

14 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

I've seen the dress rehearsal and believe that Phantom will have many on their feet by the end of their production. Everything to like about drum corps is in that production. Thanks Phantom!

Agreed. The first impressions for me where better than I expected. It was nice to hear it without the terrible acoustics of the Music In The Park gig (sorry cats...but it's just....blahhhhh acoustics.) 

This gives us a solid early season read. Great brass sound for this early in the season. There are a few moments of what I always call "dead air" (corps stops playing but the drill keeps going) that once the feet match up a touch better to the timing will be fantastic. Phantom does what it has done in a few other shows over the years and REALLY takes advantage of negative spacing between performers. There were some feet out but those will be clean in no time. 

My "even better if's" were all mostly percussion related. Bass drums sounded amazing, tenors had some tasty stuff going on and will probably build on it. The snares sounded "wet" to me. The notes are there. I can hear them in warm up and run through videos. But on the field, they got lost except in the last featurette before the big push in the closer. Front ensemble seems solid but there was definitely some phasing from right to left and a few spots where you could clearly hear (and see) some potential for a little more full ensemble. 

The props are...well...better than they have been and I will take that! I don't expect prop mastery at this stage. 

I love what I am seeing and I can't wait for the corps to get some feedback and start to really solidify top 8. I don't know if they'll get in the top 6, but none of us do at this point. We haven't seen everyone. 

You have a very nice Drum Corps (.02 to Jeff Ream)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Forget innovative, I think a top 6 prop is just any prop where it integrates into the show extremely well and doesn’t ever take away from the performance. Watch how BD and SCV move their props around. The props always end up interacting with each other and supplement the staging and you rarely ever notice them actually moving the props unless they want you to notice it

• Like 3