Paraphrased Thoughts on "Judging" from a newly minted 5-year Age Out

39 minutes ago, Boss Anova said:

Jersey Surf placed 20th with the Judges in 2012 but likely would have easily placed in the Top 6 in DCI with their “ Bridgemania” tribute show to the 1970’s Bridgemen Corps . Paciific Crest would have topped  Cavaliers , Boston ,Bluecoats ,  Blue Stars etc this season as they finished ahead of these Corps in this past week’s fan poll conducted by Flo Marching .  Music City in 2018 would have topped Blue Devils, SCV , Crown , Bluecoats , Boston,  Cadets , Phantom Regiment , Cavaliers , Blue Knights , Madison Scouts with their tribute show to train conductor Casey Jones as national fan poll conducted by Flo Marching had them winning with the fans . I suppose this could be arranged . I’m just not so sure that this will give rise to excellence in performance being rewarded , but it’s certainly gathering support here and on other social media that “ the fans “ judge these corps in competition ..

I don't see an issue with it.  Also, the vote doesn't need to be 30% of the score but, the people in the crowd have a MUCH better grasp of what is GE vs judges that sit too close to it day after day.

I remember our director sort of 'prepping' us mentally for state finals my senior year.  We were doing the 88 calgary olympics theme for our closer and that was the year Elizabeth Manley popped a silver medal out of nowhere on home ice.  She came out to perform her show without worry of the competition or judges and her complete joy at performing shone through...she was rewarded for it and probably the most ecstatic silver medalist I've ever seen.  

That was the mindset he was trying to instill in us as we approached finals.  "It's not going to be about where you place.  It's going to be about putting that crowd on its feet and showing them what a marching band can do.  It's about showing them what we do that all the other bands out there aren't doing."  

And that...was a pretty #### important lesson to learn.

23 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

I don't see an issue with it.  Also, the vote doesn't need to be 30% of the score but, the people in the crowd have a MUCH better grasp of what is GE vs judges that sit too close to it day after day.

Well , corps will likely water down & dumb down the demand both musically and visually and play the easiest parts to play if the fans judge by “ cell phones “ when they are not there live .  In short order , the most talented people will no longer want to do Drum Corps as they won’t be challenged in their potential abilities . ( nor rewarded for playing challenging music passages well ) . Nothing against Jersey Surf from 2012 , as I really enjoyed and loved their tribute show to the 1970’s Bridgemen despite Jersey Surf finishing 20th . . But “ cell phone “ judging by fans would have had them win or at least place in the Top 6 in 2012 . But let’s face it, their brass line playing abilities and marching performance abilities was not remotely close to Top 6 levels in 2012  

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Boss Anova said:

Well , corps will likely dumb down the demand both musically and visually and play the easiest parts to play if the fans judge by “ cell phones “ when they are not there live .  In short order , the most talented people will no longer want to do Drum Corps as they won’t be challenged in their potential abilities . ( nor rewarded for playing challenging music passages well ) . Nothing against Jersey Surf from 2012 , as I really enjoyed and loved their tribute show to the 1970’s Bridgemen despite Jersey Surf finishing 20th . . But “ cell phone “ judging by fans would have had them win or at least place in the Top 6 in 2012 . But let’s face it, their brass line playing abilities and marching performance abilities was not remotely close to Top 6 levels in 2012  

Why?  You know you can have all that and this right?  I'm not advocating removing judges, I simply am "throwing this out there"  why not take say 5 points and have the audience rate the GE?  This would cause the end of DCI?  Talent?  Why do people throw this term around?  I have seen the best players in the country be WORTHLESS on a football field because they simply could not march and play to save their lives or god forbid march in time.

1 hour ago, Mello Dude said:

Why?  You know you can have all that and this right?  I'm not advocating removing judges, I simply am "throwing this out there"  why not take say 5 points and have the audience rate the GE?  This would cause the end of DCI?  Talent?  Why do people throw this term around?  I have seen the best players in the country be WORTHLESS on a football field because they simply could not march and play to save their lives or god forbid march in time.

If we  fans gave GE points to corps, Jersey Surf would  maybe have topped the Blue Knights ( for example ) in 2012 . Why ? Because BK had a very cerebral , visually demanding ,( their Guard their strongest section that year according to the judges )  and challenging , but excellently performed  show entitled  “ Avian “ in 2012. But it was not all that  well received by many fans that season,  especially compared to the wildly popular Jersey Surf “ Bridgemania “ tribute show that 2012 season   . BK was a Top 12 Corps in 2012 , topping 20th placing Jersey Surf by double digit points in 2012  . Had we allotted GE points to fans … on remote cell phones no less… it’s likely that Jersey Surf significantly closes that gap and maybe even knocks  BK out of Finals . 

Anybody here want to take a guess as to where Star of Indiana would have likely placed in 1993 if we gave GE points to national fans back in 1993 to allot  ? .   You young people on here or those newer fans not around DCI Drum Corps in 1993 here don’t really want to know …… trust me .  

Edited by Boss Anova

13 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

There will always be inconsistency in judging when humans are involved.  One plate umpires strike is another's ball.  One line judges completion is a back judge's incomplete pass.  My point is the tic system worked in that it placed corps in their correct order of finish and allowed for innovation at the same time.  

Not saying to turn the clock back to 1970-something but the tic system worked and .doesn't deserve the criticism I read here from fellow dinos. 

Which tic system? Marched in 3 different Senior circuits and all had a different idea of what was “tic-able”. Same corps could go head to head in different circuits and the order of finish would change because of the execution scores

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1